Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patromero1 View Post
Is Rutherford doable without a car? Thank you for all the advice!
Its 50/50...I would lean towards it being Hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
Here's what I recommend:

I don't know when you are coming to NJ but it seems like you're pretty early in your search. Start setting aside money for a used, reliable car now. If it's just you and your child, you can get a decent small car with low (comparable speaking) mileage that can be used as basic, safe transportation.

New Jersey has a lot of mass transit options but the state is designed to have a car. It just makes life a lot easier.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:35 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Fort Lee is barely livable without a car (you could do it, but, you wouldn't want to do it), and then only if you are careful about renting near one of the supermarkets & making sure all of the other stores you would regularly use are there as well.

Commuting would actually be pretty easy. It's getting everywhere else that would be problematic.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:41 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times
Quote:
Is Rutherford doable without a car? Thank you for all the advice!

YES. I lived in Rutherford without a car for 2 years and was perfectly fine. You have a farmers market during warmer weather which is golden. Not sure if Fresh Direct delivers to Rutherford but they may. That being said, it's inconvenient as 'major' shopping is limited without a car. And take into account that you have a ton of shopping choices all around you in big box stores, malls, etc, that are hard to get to without a car.

There used to be a supermarket on Union ave, not sure anymore? But there are tons of take-out choices, really some solid Grub. It's a dry town but most places are BYOB. Plus the Union Square area in NYC has the BEST food choices, one of them being the U.S. farmers market! Bottomline, is you won't be starving.
Schools are solid and it has a great community feel. I just found it boring as a 20 something without kids.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
Here's what I recommend:

I don't know when you are coming to NJ but it seems like you're pretty early in your search. Start setting aside money for a used, reliable car now. If it's just you and your child, you can get a decent small car with low (comparable speaking) mileage that can be used as basic, safe transportation.

New Jersey has a lot of mass transit options but the state is designed to have a car. It just makes life a lot easier.

that is true, you can get some good deals now a days. the car in NJ is a huge + because it does really extend/enhance the experience. Nothing like taking your kid to the beach for a quick getaway.

does zipcar do suburbs?

Old 06-15-2012, 08:01 PM

271 posts, read 1,019,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfsr1544 View Post
does zipcar do suburbs?
In NJ, they only do JC and Newark. They have car in other towns like Chatham and Madison but thats only once in a while.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 AM

12 posts, read 23,865 times
I really do not know if I can do a car. I am moving from overseas with no furniture and two suitcases. My savings are going mostly to the inital payment of the apartment and getting a couple of beds, a couch and kitchen supplies. And surviving the first couple of weeks until I get paid! I know it sounds insane but mommys gotta do what they gotta do!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
I really do not know if I can do a car. I am moving from overseas with no furniture and two suitcases. My savings are going mostly to the inital payment of the apartment and getting a couple of beds, a couch and kitchen supplies. And surviving the first couple of weeks until I get paid! I know it sounds insane but mommys gotta do what they gotta do!
I see , look in Weehawken....for starters then Bayonne south of 38th street....or Harrison North of the tracks in Old Harrison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey