Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 01:12 AM

53 posts, read 186,722 times

Advertisements

I've been reading through the existing threads about Bridgewater and have decided to look in everywhere except for the three least desirable areas that people have mentioned: Finderne, Bradley Gardens and Thomae Park.

Everywhere else, I am looking. The problem is that most of the homes I find seem to sit on at least 2 acres (usually more) of land and are sometimes surrounded by open fields. Well, it's not a 'problem.' That's not really the best way to phrase it. It's just that I don't think my family wants to live so far away from other people. Especially since my mom is a senior citizen and would like to be able to walk around the area without being all alone in the woods LOL. We would also enjoy interacting with our neighbors.

Ironically, the 'undesirable' areas of Bridgewater seem a lot more populated but of course, if these areas have more crime I am not willing to consider them.

I wouldn't want an area where houses sit inches away from one another, just a street where I can go to the sidewalk and see a neighbor or two walking their dog or a kid or two riding their bikes.

A lot that is .50 of an acre would be perfect but I would consider anything from .25 to 1 acre. For this reason, Green Brook is currently my first choice. Is there another area of Bridgewater or Somerset I should be looking at?

I tried looking at Morris county but the same 3+ acre per home issue arises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post
I've been reading through the existing threads about Bridgewater and have decided to look in everywhere except for the three least desirable areas that people have mentioned: Finderne, Bradley Gardens and Thomae Park.

Everywhere else, I am looking. The problem is that most of the homes I find seem to sit on at least 2 acres (usually more) of land and are sometimes surrounded by open fields. Well, it's not a 'problem.' That's not really the best way to phrase it. It's just that I don't think my family wants to live so far away from other people. Especially since my mom is a senior citizen and would like to be able to walk around the area without being all alone in the woods LOL. We would also enjoy interacting with our neighbors.

Ironically, the 'undesirable' areas of Bridgewater seem a lot more populated but of course, if these areas have more crime I am not willing to consider them.

I wouldn't want an area where houses sit inches away from one another, just a street where I can go to the sidewalk and see a neighbor or two walking their dog or a kid or two riding their bikes.

A lot that is .50 of an acre would be perfect but I would consider anything from .25 to 1 acre. For this reason, Green Brook is currently my first choice. Is there another area of Bridgewater or Somerset I should be looking at?

First off I formerly lived in Green Brook before moving to Bridgewater because it is just a nicer town.
Most of the homes in the better sections of Bridgewater sit on 1+ acre lots because before public sewers were installed they all had septic systems and their own wells.
Now most of Bridgewater is on public sewers and the larger lots are not required. Kind of hard to find a real nice home in Bridgewater on less than 1 acre though there are some older homes in Martinsville on smaller main road lots.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanks PDD, that's the reason I'm mostly looking at Green Brook. Their homes are much closer to each other. I had this talk with my mom before starting my research. She doesn't feel comfortable living on a whole block by ourselves. To be honest, I would also prefer to have a couple of neighbors on each side.

Would you say that Bradley Gardens in Bridgewater is preferable to Green Brook? Or does that only apply to the top areas of Bridgewater?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:24 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
Bradly Gardens was at one time a vacation area with cottages built along the Raritan River, once the twp started to develop the Bradley Gardens area became a place for low income folks living year round in cottages. Since the 60's larger homes have replaced the cottages but some remain and that is why some consider it a low income area.
IMO The area of Green Brook South of rt 22 and Bradley Gardens are about the same status wise however Green Brook send HS kids to Watchung Hills which some prefer over Bridgewater HS.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:32 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,029,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameradin View Post

You might also want to consider Somerville. There is only one area (2nd street) that can be considered "bad" and the area north of High St. has some well priced and absolutely lovely older homes. It's very walkable and the High street has some great restaurants and little shops. There is also a big Shop Rite right in town so your Mom could actively go shopping and wander around town. There is also a good hospital right in town.

The High School is also well rated and it is a real pleasure to see kids walking home from school and actually out in the town.

I think Somerville is very underrated.

You might also want to look at the town of Raritan right next door that shares the HS with Bridgewater.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM

527 posts, read 1,409,994 times
Bradley Gardens in Bridgewater is really 2 different housing stocks.

the older section, as mentioned, have a lot of older homes from the 20/30's, that are in a slow re-building process as 2-3 new home builders are buying up the older homes, knocking them down and building new.
This area would be from say Raritan border to say Bradley Garden Elem school. This area is more blue collar.

Between the school and Milltown Rd. are newer homes (70's/80's) and I think would be what you are looking for.
Nice homes, great neighbors, the previous Bridgewater mayor lived in the area. This area has more professional people.

A newer developement bordering the school was build about 10 years ago.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:40 AM

23,582 posts, read 17,258,837 times
I think you want Branchburg.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:14 PM

Hi PDD,

Yeah I read a little about Bradley Gardens' origins. Some people seem to think it's a fine area now but others said there's too much 'riff raff.' I didn't think that would be the case in Green Brook from the way other posters described it, it sounded like its population is more educated than average but then again I've never been there so I don't know. I'm still somewhat concerned about spillover crime from the Plainfields south of 22, though.

Hi Anthony! Thanks for the suggestions I will look up Somerville and Raritan. I would definitely prefer to be able to walk to shops and restaurants but at the very least would want to live in a block where there are a few neighbors besides my family. As long as the towns are safe, I'm not super concerned about them being upscale (although I wouldn't want a dump lol). I'm also starting to consider some areas of Union like Cranford since I heard it has a very walkable main street.

Hi Boater, that's good to know. I'll try to look more toward Milltown Rd. I was surprised that area is considered undesirable since the homes I saw seemed to sit on some very nice, well-kept streets. Even my mom commented on the fact that the area looked too nice to have so much riff-raff LOL Usually where there is mayhem that translates into a run-down looking area, though I guess there are exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
I think you want Branchburg.
Hi Kracer, I've actually been looking at it as well. It seems a bit more populated than Bridgewater north of 22 right?

Btw, is there only one hospital in Somerset County or am I confused? I could not find any other except for Somerset Medical Center.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,870,631 times
In 2 decades there won't be any Rural North or Central Jersey , swallowed up by Urbanized suburban growth and Urban growth..

Old 06-16-2012, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 37,503 times
I suggest a Raritan 'new' community (100 homes from 94 to 96) which is located just besides Bridgewater new community (about same age houses). Just search Cardinal Way, Raritan 08869 on google map, you will see the whole community. All the houses there are about 0.3 - 1 acre. Most residents are professionals working in pharmaceutical companies, with the rest working in Verizon/AT&T, or Wall Street. Walkable, *very* safe, very friendly neighbors. I've lived here for 10 years. I love this place.

Previous post already mentioned Raritan and Bridgewater are in the same school district.

HTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey