Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 08:57 AM

64 posts, read 851,918 times

Advertisements

My furnace is soon going to be about 18-years-old, and for peace of mind, I am thinking about enrolling in PSEG's worryfree contracts for the heating system (hot water heat+furnace+indoor piping) for 10 bucks a month. Has anyone used or is using this plan? How helpful is it? Am I allowed to cancel this contract during the summer months?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 10:49 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
I have had PSE&G's Worry-Free plan for...probably about 10 years, and I have been very pleased with it.
The original builder-grade furnace needed significant repairs at least 4 times before I replaced it, and I paid nothing for those repairs. However, there may be some types of repairs that are not covered in full, so it pays to read the fine print of the contract.

Their repairmen have always shown up promptly and on-schedule (unlike Verizon's repairmen who frequently take a few weeks to actually show up!), have acted in a professional manner, and have gotten my furnace up & running quickly.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I have had PSE&G's Worry-Free plan for...probably about 10 years, and I have been very pleased with it.
The original builder-grade furnace needed significant repairs at least 4 times before I replaced it, and I paid nothing for those repairs. However, there may be some types of repairs that are not covered in full, so it pays to read the fine print of the contract.

Their repairmen have always shown up promptly and on-schedule (unlike Verizon's repairmen who frequently take a few weeks to actually show up!), have acted in a professional manner, and have gotten my furnace up & running quickly.

Thanks for your response. Does the Essential Heating Contract require you to stay enrolled for the whole year or you can opt out the coverage during the summer months?

Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzpanda View Post
Thanks for your response. Does the Essential Heating Contract require you to stay enrolled for the whole year or you can opt out the coverage during the summer months?
You would have to question PSEG's folks via the phone in order to find out if you can zig-zag in and out of their plan. You probably can do that, but, in my case, I wouldn't even attempt to do what you want to do.

Why?
Because I want to be able to use my central A/C during the summer months, and the fan that circulates the cold air is the same furnace fan that circulates the warm air during the winter months. If you drop coverage on your furnace, a problem with the circulating fan in the furnace will mean no A/C when it gets very hot.

Essentially, for someone who has a central A/C system that uses the furnace's circulating fan, your plan would be penny-wise and dollar-foolish, IMHO.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:56 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
When I lived in NJ used the Worry Free Service and was extremely pleased with it. Furnace required new board which was about $400 and they replaced it, twice, no problem. We also had AC covered but never had a problem. Doubt they would START/STOP contract; believe it is for year.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the replies and the helpful suggestions. Since the plan only costs10 bucks a month, I figure I will just give it a shot. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey