Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 PM

33 posts, read 44,079 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I'm considering taking a job in Mount Olive.

I am the bohemian/hippie/stoner type, and need to be around like minded people. I want to live relatively close to my work, with Morristown being about as far away as I'd like to be (what is that commute like? seems pretty reverse to go from Morristown to Mount Olive).

However, Morristown (from what I've heard) seems to have a "yuppie" feel to it, and I'm afraid I won't fit in.

So what I'm really looking for is young, like-minded people, and places to hang out with them. I don't need to be in a city but I think a pretty densely populated area would be nice. I enjoy nature and outdoors as well, but I do need a social outlet.

Thank you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 AM

206 posts, read 532,659 times
Sorry, there's nothing within that radius that fits your criteria. Check out Morristown anyway, its not too hippyish but there's enough young people there that you'd find some to fit in with. Otherwise, you'd need to get to Montclair or Lambertville/New Hope, and be looking at hour+ commutes.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:46 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
I was just going to say the same thing as the previous poster. Montclair would be the right type of place, but it's just too far for a daily commute.

Morristown is actually a really cool town, full of interesting things (historical, cultural etc). but not too hippieish. But you could very well find some good friends there.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM

33 posts, read 44,079 times
I appreciate the responses. I presume you're not the same type of people as I, and I appreciate that you didn't go straight to insulting me.

I asked a similar question about northern virginia and they just started pooping all over my sort of people.

I'm going to be in Morristown on Friday.

Can you point me in a direction? I'll be there all day and through the night. Where should I go to maybe run into my sort of folk? In particular the nightlife -- unfortunately my fellow stonies aren't always up to good, so tell me where to go, and how safe the area is. I presume that I'm looking for more of a hole-in-the-wall type thing.

Thanks again NJites

EDIT -- also what are the other little towns around the area like, if you know?

Old 11-21-2012, 11:58 AM

206 posts, read 532,659 times
Other little towns around Morristown are mostly nice upper-middle class suburbia, with a bit more parks and outdoorsy-things than the closer-to-NYC suburbs. When visiting, just walk down South Street the length of town center, that's where most of the better stores/bars/restaraunts are. As far as specific bars, i'm a bit too removed from the scene to know which are more frat-boyish vs preppy vs hippyish (though i doubt any are very hippyish). Loantaka Park is about 1.5 miles down South St from the center of town and has nice trails in the woods for walking/jogging, picnic areas, etc. My friend is a big hippie and from this area, and he likes it well enough but eventually gave up finding enough of a social life and moved to Portland, so there's always that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey