Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM

12 posts, read 32,726 times

Advertisements

hiya....we are looking to buy in westfield or cranford and although no place, not even cacciola place, is as dangerous as some cities, is carleton between park and ross too close? is it too busy of a block for a family? i ought to stake out the place one weekday but my two children under seven require too much driving back and forth with school and xtracurriculars....i went to an open house on the block and i like the house but everyone keeps telling me stay away from the one bad block in westfield. is it too close to live there? i live in clifton in a so so place and i don't want to be in a so so place in a town nicer than clifton but with better schools. i know its not unsafe like for fear of a mugging but i don't want things stolen from my car either.

also, someone told me there is one or two blocks unsafe in cranford but i forgot the name, can anyone help me out? i've looked around and i think i'm finally going to pull the trigger and buy in the next few months.
-jen : )
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,028,331 times
Hi Jennifer,

There are no unsafe areas in Westfield or Cranford. There are areas that are less desireable. I cannot speak for how someone would feel in one area or another, because it is an individual choice of where you want to be. You will get more for your money in Cranford, in regards to property size and amenities. Homes seem to be moving quickly now so if you are serious about pulling the trigger, you will need to keep up with what is going on.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:29 AM

116 posts, read 239,546 times
Anyone who told you a part of Westfield or Cranford are unsafe are most likely afraid of their own shadow. This doesn't even need to be discussed that is how safe you are.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:59 AM

189 posts, read 584,682 times
There is no street in either town that I would consider unsafe. Lets not mistake desirability with safety. Yes, there are blocks that are less desirable but crime is hardly a factor in either town. The only safety concern to consider is whether they are on main roads with traffic, other than that, you should not have any concern. Sure there may be an occasional robbery, but there are robberies in every zip code from the wealthiest to the poorest.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM

136 posts, read 241,103 times
Question What about odd blocks?

Just curious about living across the street from the Armory/the national guard place. Is that strange? Dangerous? It seems a bit odd that one half of the street has no homes. What is in the armory anyway?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 PM

It's not actively used by the military. They have events there like car shows and crafts fair. I can see that street being busy with traffic during those events.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:08 PM

391 posts, read 1,479,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiggerNY View Post
It's not actively used by the military.
are you sure? i've seen guys in fatigues in and around there, millitary vehicles etc.

High school kids park on that street too. I know that the people in that neighborhood are always complaining about noise, garbage etc. from that.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM

136 posts, read 241,103 times
Default Which street precisely?

I have a particular street in mind: Codding? It seems like a dead end street.

I have seen soldiers hanging out by the armory on some trips to town.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:50 PM

I stand corrected:

New Jersey National Guard Armory - Westfield, NJ Patch

Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 PM

12 posts, read 32,726 times
hiya again...i'm not afraid of my own shadow and i have even posted on here in response to an old post that i found it funny that someone thought parts of westfield are unsafe.... but what everyone seems to say or write, time and time again including on this forum, is that there is one bad block in westfield and that block is cacciola because of the subsidized housing.....so my question is carleton too close or a place with more property crime than other parts of westfield....

as for cranford, someone told me something similar...that there is one bad block and i can't remember the name but i was wondering where it is. i am planning to get a realtor soon but i know that there are certain subjects that the law won't let them answer.....and please don't say i'm racist when you do not even know my race i don't care what people look like but i do care how they behave and subsidized housing units always have issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey