Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 8,672 times

Advertisements

My husband and I live in Brooklyn. I work in NYC. He works in Staten Island. We both drive to work. His commute is anywhere from 30-45 min. Mine is from 45-60 min on a good day. I guess that is not so bad (although Brooklyn can be a bear to get out of in the morning). However, we can't seem to afford a home here. I don't want to live in one of those "condos" that we all know used to simply be an apartment; even those can be ridiculously expensive here. So we are thinking about NJ. I have friends in NJ so I have learned Northern NJ is best for my commute and Central NJ is best for my husband. These sections are about 45-60 minutes apart.

My question is:
Are there towns that are a happy medium for us both? Approximately a 30-45 min commute in the mornings to both NYC and Staten Island? We are looking for a home or TRUE condo, 2+ bedrooms and 1.5+ bathrooms, for maximum $300K?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 11:23 PM

161 posts, read 767,486 times
300 is tough, if not impossible for a house.

I work and live in Brooklyn and my fiance works in Bridgewater. We looked for a house in Brooklyn and its ridiculously overpriced. 2 Bedroom condo's are going for 500K plus. Forget about a detached house.

We looked for houses in the 300K range in NJ and found houses that were falling apart everywhere. Sheer junk.

A condo would be your best choice.

Look in Piscatway, there are some nice condo's being built, or have been built recently. They sell for around 300-350. Your husband will have a tough commute to Manhattan if he drives, but it would probably be smarter if he took the train from New Brunswick. Its about 40 minutes.

It only takes 15-20 minutes to get to Staten Island from Piscataway.

Good Luck in your search.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:55 AM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
There are a few places (townhouses) at La Mer in Sayreville for under 300k. Nothing fancy, but they're relatively new, and commuting to SI and Manhattan are both easy.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:56 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
it's not for everyone, but Bayonne? It's not all that different from Brooklyn. A stone's throw (literally) from SI and a decent commute to NYC. The price is going to be tough though.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM

11 posts, read 41,837 times
Default Old Bridge

You should probably look in Old Bridge. Alot of folks I know commuting to New York live there. I believe the house market is very diverse. You can find an inexpensive ranch type home in the high 200's or a 750k in a newer development. Schools are pretty good too, from what I understand.

Sayreville was on the top 100 places to live. That also might be a town to explore, however it's very industrial which rubs people the wrong way.

Good Luck!

Old 10-16-2007, 07:55 PM

687 posts, read 3,250,762 times
Quote:
it's very industrial
Not so much...Pretty darn suburban...

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judysworld View Post
My husband and I live in Brooklyn. I work in NYC. He works in Staten Island. We both drive to work. His commute is anywhere from 30-45 min. Mine is from 45-60 min on a good day. I guess that is not so bad (although Brooklyn can be a bear to get out of in the morning). However, we can't seem to afford a home here. I don't want to live in one of those "condos" that we all know used to simply be an apartment; even those can be ridiculously expensive here. So we are thinking about NJ. I have friends in NJ so I have learned Northern NJ is best for my commute and Central NJ is best for my husband. These sections are about 45-60 minutes apart.

My question is:
Are there towns that are a happy medium for us both? Approximately a 30-45 min commute in the mornings to both NYC and Staten Island? We are looking for a home or TRUE condo, 2+ bedrooms and 1.5+ bathrooms, for maximum $300K?

You can find a house or condo for that price in
Linden,Rahway,Avenel , Depending on where in staten Island he works and what time he leaves his commute would be between 20 and 40 minutes , And depending on where in the city you work and what time you leave it could be anywhere from 30 minutes to well over an hour, a 10 minute window in the am can add on another 45 + minutes to your commute. So for you Nj Transit might be a better choice

Old 10-16-2007, 10:31 PM

119 posts, read 240,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judysworld View Post

My question is:
If you happen to pick Piscataway, here are several good communities to pick. The Commons (broken link) can walk to Edison Train Station with about 40+ minutes to NYC, and the highest price sold so far is $299,900. However, there are 2br 2ba condo sold lower like $265,000 (broken link). And some in between (broken link).

However, I also see one nice 2br 2ba condo listing $249,900 at Craigslist (broken link)

The other side of Edison Train Station is Edison, and Woodhaven Complex (broken link) seems to be good fit too.

I would not talk about Edison Hollow South, Edison Manor, Starpoint, University Heights ...etc since they kind of sold out, but you can always ask your realtor to monitor for you. You can also find good listing from realtor.com and good realtors if you do not have one.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:21 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
I live in Central Jersey and you can get a house here for around $300k. In fact, I'll sell you mine for that, plus the taxes are only 5k per year, in a very low crime rate town, with neighbors that truly love eachother. I only have one bath, but plenty of room to add another if you wanted to.
Let me know.
But seriously, there are plenty of homes out here that you can get for that price. Just keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey