Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 AM

203 posts, read 852,583 times

Advertisements

Single mother of one grade-school age child and planning on taking a job in NYC in a few months, currently in Virginia.
Have been checking out areas of Queens and Brooklyn as well as NJ. Even though most will tell you that NYC is the most expensive place to live....my research is showing that NJ is more expensive....and I'm not talking about pricey suburbs, just family friendly areas like Union County, where rents for a decent two-bedroom apt are $1500 and up.

By the time you add in car insurance, commuting costs, etc., NJ is definitely more expensive.....yet people are still telling me that I'll never afford Brooklyn or Queens.
Of course schools are a concern and I've been researching that as well. I just want the best overall situation when you figure in cost, schools, quality of life and all the rest.
Any input?

Last edited by wanderlost; 12-31-2007 at 07:17 AM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 07:31 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,124,732 times
I grew up in NY but am currently living in Hoboken and working in Jersey City so I can probably comment on this.

First of, what part of NYC will you be working? And what's your budget? And how long do you want to commute? All are factors to possible recommendations.

You should be able to find something decent in Queens, Brooklyn or Jersey City if you look. I won't recommend Hoboken since it's definitely above $1500 for a decent 2BR and the school district is rather lacking.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,458,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Single mother of one grade-school age child and planning on taking a job in NYC in a few months, currently in Virginia.
Have been checking out areas of Queens and Brooklyn as well as NJ. Even though most will tell you that NYC is the most expensive place to live....my research is showing that NJ is more expensive....and I'm not talking about pricey suburbs, just family friendly areas like Union County, where rents for a decent two-bedroom apt are $1500 and up.

By the time you add in car insurance, commuting costs, etc., NJ is definitely more expensive.....yet people are still telling me that I'll never afford Brooklyn or Queens.
Of course schools are a concern and I've been researching that as well. I just want the best overall situation when you figure in cost, schools, quality of life and all the rest.
Any input?
Can't speak about Queens since i never lived there
But Brooklyn, I don't think you will find any decent 2br for less than 1500
probably a lot more than 1500

As far as insurance , you will have to pay that either here in Jersey or in Ny

When i moved out to Rahway from Brooklyn in 1998 i was paying 1900 for 2 cars
ANd everybody told me NJ has the highest insurance cost so i was suprised to find out that i would only be paying 1250 for the same 2 cars .
Also i worked on Wall St and when i moved out and changed my address
My first check was over $100 dollars more so i had them double check to make sure they did not change anything besides my address. It turned out i no longer had to pay city taxes to nyc ,just Non resident taxes and the difference between that plus adding in NJ state taxes worked out as a plus for me , which i quickly gave back to nj transit for my monthly transit pass (oh well)

The schools out here are not as good as some of the surrounding towns but compared to Brooklyn they are great.

There are pro's and con's to each state so good luck to you
and welcome to YANKEE country

Oh yeah
Gas in Jersey is cheaper and you are not allowed to pump it yourself

Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 PM

64 posts, read 112,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post

Any input?
In general, the closer to Manhattan, commute wise, the more expensive on living cost. On the other hand, the closer, the better pay for the job. So, you can be sure Northern Jersey, especially, Hoboken or Jersey City, would be much more expensive than Centural Jersey, like Edison, Piscataway, North Brunswick ...etc.

If you would consider Edison area where there is Edison Train Station to NYC, the current best priced area area coop for Riverview and condo for Mill Pointe as you can see in realtor.com ...

You may buy a coop of Riverview as low as $54,900, and of course, rent would be very affordable. It is right next to Rt 1 and nice river view and Rutgers Univ, near Highland Park (which has great school district and great rent too), and New Brunswick Stn. The price is great because most people are not familiar with coop ownership. Apartment wise, they have all new windows and nicely renovated. Savvy empty nesters often move over.

You may also buy a 2br 1ba condo as low as $163,000 that is right next to Middlesex County College and easy access to many highways such as Fwy 287, NJ Turnpike, Rt 514 ...etc. The price is great due to the fact Centerplace at Edison just built many condo/townhouses on the other side of Middlesex County College.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,572 times
mon ami, Brooklyn is more affrodable compare to Queens unless you go to deep queens like queens village than that is different.
Brooklyn everything is .50 cents less than queens the closer the part of queens is to NYC the more expensive.

Please if anyone can tell me is jersey city is it overpriced than brooklyn?
Live in NYC all my life

Old 02-03-2013, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 9,572 times
live in NYC all my life brooklyn is affordable in groceries by .50 less than queens the closer you are to manhattan the expensive it is. But queens is beautiful, safe environment there different ethnic groups compare to brooklyn. unless you go more towards queens village than that is different. Certain parts of brooklyn easier commute to Manhattan so the rent is pretty high an 1 bdrm apartment is no less than 1,200

Can anyone tell me if jersey city miscellaneous groceries are overpriced than brooklyn or cheaper?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,770,959 times
first, do NOT forget the city income tax.

Generally I find that people expects certain amount of things, and only consider places that are "on the same level". There might be trade offs here and there, but on average are comparable. And since a person generally has the same money, most places they compare are equal. There are many different parts of queens, brooklyn, and NJ. Make sure you are comparing parts that you are willing to live in.

I also found when buying a home in NJ comparing to moving to Brooklyn, the places in both areas came out to be about the same cost. Still needed a car in Brooklyn, so
low commute cost+parking+car insurance+city tax+low property tax==commuting cost+no parking+car insurance+no city tax + ridiculous propoerty tax
were about the same

and thirdly, depending on where you work, the commute into the city from Union County might be faster than from Brooklyn and/or queens.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:56 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Northern NJ is a big area, and Brooklyn and Queens are big boroughs. There's an enormous difference between Summit and Irvington, and there's an enormous difference between Park Slope and Brownsville.

If you're looking for NJ town suggestions, you should answer the questions in the sticky thread at the top of the forum. If people think Brooklyn or Queens are a better idea, they won't be shy about saying so :-)

As for schools, the NYC school system is a patchwork of decent schools and not so decent ones, and even then, what school your kids go to is not always decided entirely on where you live. The NJ systems tend to be more similar within their district (with exceptions in a few towns), and with a very few exceptions, where the kids go is entirely based on where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey