Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM

38 posts, read 65,343 times

Advertisements

PDD...

LMAO,.,...on the reasons you why you stated people stay and leave NJ...you are so dead on!!!

I agree....that is why I am getting the heck out of here in 9-12 months time. But I had to comment...for it was funny as hell...for I am sitting here...having quiet time 'with God" and I am thinking while I am conversing aloud to him...and while watching the Christian Network..."why do people stay and why do people go???"..and I came across your response while reading your post.....so yeah..it made my day.....thanks..... (I just know I have an Angel or something watching over me...for every time I have "me time" with God...and I have thoughts or questions...little surprises like this pop out of nowhere....)

"laughter is the best medicine" =oP =oP =oP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 04:03 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,909,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
The top 10 states people are fleeing are all cold. The weather in NJ sucks for 9 months out of the year. Makes sense to me.
What? NJ is hot as hell at least 8 months out of the year. There no longer is a Fall and a very short Spring. And Winter is a lot hotter.

NJ's weather is turning into Georgia's weather.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:08 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You absolutely do get it. I would never recommend NC or any Southern state for educating your children. I never considered a move as long as the kids were in school, including college.

But for retirement, NC has it hands down over NJ. Just like NJ we have the mountains, although more of them and a longer shore line. Golf year round if you so desire.

Plus, a lot less people per square mile in NC, 100 vs 1,000 in NJ.

For vacations we travel back North for a restaurant and Pizza fix. If we have time we visit the kids.
Much too general of a statement. Many southern school districts are every bit as good as NJ districts. On top of that, NC has a superior higher education system which is very affordable for state residents.

I lived the first 37 years of my life in NJ and love the state, but need to call out the gross generalizations tossed around about NJ public educations superiority.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:50 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,609,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
What? NJ is hot as hell at least 8 months out of the year. There no longer is a Fall and a very short Spring. And Winter is a lot hotter.

John,

There is no way you want Georgia's weather, I've lived in Savannah for over 5 years and am moving to Jersey this month and cannot wait to get out of here. The weather is great for 7 months of the year, the exact opposite of the north, yea winter sucks up north and is really nice during the day when it's 55 and the sun is out. During the summer when it's 95 degrees with 80% humidity and the bugs eat you down to the bone within minutes of stepping outside make summer suck. I really miss the change of seasons and snow never thought I'd say that again.

Guess I'm out of the ordinary moving to Jersey, do I get anything special for being a minority?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:11 AM

908 posts, read 1,555,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
John,

There is no way you want Georgia's weather, I've lived in Savannah for over 5 years and am moving to Jersey this month and cannot wait to get out of here. The weather is great for 7 months of the year, the exact opposite of the north, yea winter sucks up north and is really nice during the day when it's 55 and the sun is out. During the summer when it's 95 degrees with 80% humidity and the bugs eat you down to the bone within minutes of stepping outside make summer suck. I really miss the change of seasons and snow never thought I'd say that again.

Guess I'm out of the ordinary moving to Jersey, do I get anything special for being a minority?
I feel you! I moved to Pa, and its COLD as heck here for about 8 months of the year. It was 37 degrees this morning! It will warm up later, but drop low again, and it is often very gray. It is like that until almost the end of May, and the gray is common even in summer. Gray & hot, YUCK! I used to want more snow in NJ because we hardly got any. Now, I don't care to see it again. I just miss the 4 seasons of NJ so much, I can't wait to get back.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:58 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post

This is straight up not true. Humans forget physical pain quite easily. January and February are truly miserable. We even had snow in November this past year!

I got a friend living in Fayatteville, NC and spring there starts in February. By March while we're all still freezing our asses off they are hitting the 60s and 70s.

One time I flew to visit him and it was 100 degrees in July. When we arrived in Newark guess what temperature it was? 100 degrees. Same temp.

Plus this past April (aside a few 85 degree days) was chilly. I don't mind the low/mid 40s at night but we had temps in the low 30s in mid April.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
John,

NJ summers are humid as hell. You can't even breathe unless you're near the coast for all of July and half of August.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
NJ summers are humid as hell. You can't even breathe unless you're near the coast for all of July and half of August.
really? not here.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM

19,127 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You might want to give some thought to having air conditioning installed in your home!

Old 05-06-2013, 03:54 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
PDD hit the nail on the head. In the next few months, we are departing this state and moving. Although I won't bad mouth NJ, we've had enough. For us, we are looking for a better quality of life which doesn't include the godawful commute into NYC for my husband. It seems that what we make is gobbled up in taxes and it is quite frustrating. I'm also tired of the crowds and the traffic. It just seems to be a hassle.

I would like to comment on schools though. We pay terribly high taxes for okay schools in my area but nothing to justify our tax burden. Right now, I'm requesting my 3rd evaluation of my daughter for services. Out school district is notoriously difficult in providing services, to the point where you have to take fights to another level...like hiring a lawyer. I've felt like our concerns have been marginalized and swept under the rug. Our high school is abysmal in my opinion and something we are trying to avoid at all costs.

We are moving to Texas and although property taxes can be high there, not having a state income tax is going to be so nice. We are also going to live in an excellent school district which is on par with top NJ schools. We predict that our quality of life will be much better.

Last edited by Siggy20; 05-06-2013 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey