Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,527 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a couple of places to rent in Montclair and I had a question about safety. I'm looking at places around the Bay St. station because I need to commute into NYC but I'm a bit worried about walking the area at night. I know there are those huge apartment complexes right next to the station but I would rather live in an apartment with some charm. The places I'm looking at are mostly right off of Glen Ridge. One is two blocks north on Glen Ridge, and the other is on Bay St. The streets have street lamps, but I was just curious what others think. Thank you so much to anyone that responds!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 08:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Not really a great area. The corner of Glenridge and Pine has a very shady liquor store on it. It's rated on Google as being a drug hangout, and I believe it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
It's a totally fair question. I live right around the corner from there right now in Glen Ridge.

Is Pine Street and the Bay Street area a great neighborhood? No. Is it surrounded by incredibly wealthy neighborhoods on all sides? Yes. Is it a dangerous neighborhood? Not really.

It's a very small bad section (extending down to Mission, New, and Maple Streets in Montclair) and crime does tend to stay limited to those areas, and isn't happening SO often that its unsafe to walk the streets. Being one block away can make a MASSIVE difference, as I'm sure you've seen when you drive into Glen Ridge or anywhere else in Montclair.

It's for sure a hot area for drug dealing, and car and apartment breaks in can be a problem in the area, but violent crime is very rare. A young guy was shot and killed on the corner of Mission St and Bloomfield Ave last month, and there was a carjacking on Shermann St (off of Pine) earlier this year by some guys from Newark, but stuff like that is shocking when it happens. Muggings are almost unheard of. And once you leave that very small area, its as safe as anywhere else.

Bottom line? Property crime is an issue in that area, but violent crime really isn't. If you're a single guy, you'll be fine. Lock your doors and windows, and lock your car (don't leave any electronics showing). You can walk around fine alone any time of day, but I'd be cautious walking home alone at night.

I drive through there everyday, and rarely feel unsafe IN my car, if that's any help. That being said, they're making serious efforts to revitalize the area around the station, and Nicolo's Italian Deli on Baldwin Street is ridiculously good, but if you can rent anywhere else in Montclair, I would. It's just not as nice as the rest of town. I'd move up one more stop and see if you could find something near Walnut Street, or head down one station, and see if you can find something in Glen Ridge.

I'm aware of some rentals in Glen Ridge, so message me if you want any details!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Not really a great area. The corner of Glenridge and Pine has a very shady liquor store on it. It's rated on Google as being a drug hangout, and I believe it.
Hadn't seen this.... where does Google do this rating?

Old 03-20-2012, 07:08 PM

143 posts, read 302,446 times
I used to live on Pine Street, and in addition to being one of the uglier areas in Montclair, there was a lot of drug activity. Crack vials on the sidewalk. And yes, the area around the liquor store is bad. Guys hanging around doing drugs and calling out nasty things to women. They were always trying to get you to give them cash for their food stamps so that they could either buy drugs or buy bottles in the liquor store. I said, no thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
FWIW, my neighbor had his car broken into twice while parked at or near the Bay St. station.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Hadn't seen this.... where does Google do this rating?
Google doesn't do the rating, people on Google Maps do: M Caggiano & Sons

Old 01-27-2013, 10:01 PM

10 posts, read 29,430 times
How is the area around the Walnut Street Station as far as safety is concerned? Is it a problem to walk/park in that area at night?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM

390 posts, read 1,367,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith0979 View Post
How is the area around the Walnut Street Station as far as safety is concerned? Is it a problem to walk/park in that area at night?
Not at all. In fact, I'd call Walnut Street the most happening block in Montclair right now, between the farmers market in the warmer months, and lots of new cafes and restaurants opening.

You're also a short walk still to the Bloomfield Ave/Church St area. Really one of the best areas to rent in Montclair if you're taking the train into the city.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 PM

42 posts, read 32,793 times
Default Thanks for asking this question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith0979 View Post
My wife and I are relocating from the Pacific Northwest to be closer to family, and we're really liking Montclair. And it appears I may have to commute to the city for a position, unless Montclair State does some hiring. Very timely question for us, so thanks for asking it and best of luck to you on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey