Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,031 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking to buy a house and ANY help is appreciated. Our wish list is:

Great schools and possibilities for activities - we have a 3.5 years old and another one on the way
Commutable to the city ( currently I work in Wayne, and my husband in Livingston, but I don't want to rule out the city)
"Walking" town
Some town center ( aka Montclair)
3-4 br with some backyard
Price range - up to 600k
Bearable taxes

Our list of towns so far - please share any "Yay" or "Nay":

Verona
Nutley
Summit
Millburn
Glen Rock
Livinston - no downtown
Wayne - no downtown, flooding zones
North Caldwell
Cranford ( maybe?)
Chatham ( maybe?)

Are we missing any towns? Or should we remove some?

Thank you, any insights are much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 243,876 times
Verona Yay the commute would be good for you both
Nutley Nay
Summit Yay but your commute would be
Millburn same as Summit
Glen Rock
Livinston - no downtown
North Caldwell
Cranford ( maybe?) Yay the commutes would be
Chatham ( maybe?) Yay same as Summit/Millburn

Old 01-07-2014, 10:49 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,487 times
Any reason you didn't include Montclair? Its right in between both commuting locations and has all the other things you are looking for.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Any reason you didn't include Montclair? Its right in between both commuting locations and has all the other things you are looking for.
yes, she said "bearable taxes"

Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM

2 posts, read 4,031 times
I love Montclair and it's social aspects, but tahiti hit the nail on the head - for the astronomic taxes you are paying, the schools are not that great. Unfortunately.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdotSmith View Post
Verona Yay the commute would be good for you both
Nutley Nay
Summit Yay but your commute would be
Millburn same as Summit
Glen Rock
Livinston - no downtown
North Caldwell
Cranford ( maybe?) Yay the commutes would be
Chatham ( maybe?) Yay same as Summit/Millburn
I think budget will be tight in Millburn/Summit/Chatham. Very tight.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Wayne is awesome for families. Great schools, tons of parks and rec areas, amazing town facilities, and between the Wayne PAL, Boys and Girls Club, YMCA and private groups there are an infinite number of kid friendly programs and activities.

Yes there is no walkable downtown, but there is just about everything else you could possibly want in a town including more shopping areas, grocery stores, and restaurants than you will find anywhere else on your list(or any town in north Jersey for that matter).

For your budget you can actually get a 4 bedroom 2-3 bath center hall colonial approx. 2500-3,000 sq ft(that is less than 50 years old). You will not find that buying power in any other town on your list.

Commute would be great for both of you.

Taxes are on par with most other towns on your list depending on what part of Wayne you are looking at( some areas have higher taxes than others)

Drawbacks are:

Town is huge(25 square miles) so where you are in town is important for access to highways and avoiding traffic getting across town via Hamburg Turnpike or Ratzer Rd. this can be a major PITA especially when there is construction on a major artery.

Flooding, there is are small sections of town that flood(just like most towns), if you look at a flood map ( http://www.state.nj.us/njoem/program...xi_passaic.pdf ) and avoid those areas you will be fine. The reason flooding in Wayne gets so much attention is because the Willowbrook Mall is right in the middle of one of the flood zones and anytime it floods the local news crews show up and imply the entire town is underwater, when actually it is just the mall and surrounding area. Again the town is 25 square miles( that is the size of Verona, Nutley, Summit, Glen Rock, Cranford, North Caldwell and Chatham combined)I have not had an issue getting around Wayne even when there was flooding on some of the highways, by the Willowbrook Mall.

Name cache: Low. Wayne is not an elite town and has a lot of economic Diversity. You have common, blue collar, middle class folks living among upper middle class and millionaires.

My 2 cents

Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM

141 posts, read 243,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I think budget will be tight in Millburn/Summit/Chatham. Very tight.
Your right maybe Madison or Springfield although Springfield doesn't have a town center but your a stone throws away from Summit and Short Hills/Millburn.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliepas View Post
I love Montclair and it's social aspects, but tahiti hit the nail on the head - for the astronomic taxes you are paying, the schools are not that great. Unfortunately.
once my kids are out of school, i'd move to Montclair in a minute - but the taxes are too out of control. it IS unfortunate.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:44 PM

27 posts, read 60,569 times
Much more "Central Jersey" then North, but Highland Park fits your criteria pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey