Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 08:11 PM

23,591 posts, read 17,275,145 times

Advertisements

"You never learned about Washington's Crossing and the Battle of Trenton?"

That does not even begin to scratch the surface.

NJ history curriculum is severely wanting if not vestigal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 08:37 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,991,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Nice? It's a giant sewer with high price tags slapped on it.

Criminals? Well I wouldn't even but them in the same category!

They all suck. Hipsters seem to be on the way out, unfortunately Yuppy culture will always exist.

It's good to be original.
You have no idea what Hoboken was like before the mid 1980's. As a State, all of NJ should be THRILLED with what Hoboken has become.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:08 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,018,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
WT* does that mean? Did you not have something witty to say so you just said something stupid?
I'm sure stereotypes like these do wonders for the state's image across the world.

Jersey Shore (Season 6) | Last Season Full Episodes, Videos, Photos

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM

135 posts, read 370,965 times
If only the show made it clear that almost every cast member on that show is actually from New York...

Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,641,491 times
Sad thing now it's known as the state that got swamped by superstorm sandy. At least New York was famous before it was swamped also.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,320,936 times
Default The 'City of New Jersey'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
"You never learned about Washington's Crossing and the Battle of Trenton?" That does not even begin to scratch the surface. NJ history curriculum is severely wanting if not vestigal.
"Crossroads of the Revolution" (Our Bicentennial Moniker as well as State Quarter Motto.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielNJ View Post
I wonder. It is the setting of many films and television shows (The Soprano's is an example, considered the greatest American television show), many famous people are from here (inventors, Albert Einstein, actors and musicians), it is referenced in songs, it is right across the Hudson from NYC (The world's most famous city!), it borders Philadelphia, it has Liberty Island and Ellis Island (Kind of...lol. Well, mostly Ellis Island), Atlantic City and other beaches and boardwalks, Princeton University, and many other things. I may be preaching to the choir since this is in the New Jersey forum, but I am asking everyone an honest question. Based on foreigners you have spoken to, is New Jersey a well-known and famous state? I would think so. Also, did these out-of-country people have any preconceived notions or dumb prejudices like some of the people in our own country?
Famous people from New Jersey? ABSOLUTELY! Not to be missed: Sounds Like New Jersey! - YouTube
(But Albert Einstein? Don't confuse 'Jersey' with 'Germany'!)

Yes, New Jersey is a well-known place. But I agree with others who've stated that most people outside of New Jersey think city-centric rather than state-centric. (People tend to say "I'm from Buffalo" or "I'm from Rochester" instead of "I'm from New York State" — "I'm from Pittsburgh" rather than "I'm from Pennsylvania".) The way many of us think about New Jersey is akin to the way others think about the city they're from. In practicality, we are from the 'City of New Jersey.'

No, we are not part of New York City nor in its shadow. New Jersey stands alone as a 'great city.' Sharing a geographic border with another great city doesn't take away from this reality. See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/minne...nneapolis.html, or Dallas and Fort Worth which have grown to border each other.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm sure stereotypes like these do wonders for the state's image across the world.

Jersey Shore (Season 6) | Last Season Full Episodes, Videos, Photos
how does the state of new jersey's image affect you?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,018,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how does the state of new jersey's image affect you?
How the image affects me is not the point at all. I'm talking about how people view the state of New Jersey.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,723,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You have no idea what Hoboken was like before the mid 1980's. As a State, all of NJ should be THRILLED with what Hoboken has become.
agreed. Hoboken made Greenville, Jersey City look like paradise, LOL.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,763,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
How the image affects me is not the point at all. I'm talking about how people view the state of New Jersey.
if people are dumb enough to judge people of nj by the cast of the jersey shore than that says more about them than it does about nj. when people from other countries dislike nj, it means absolutely nothing to me. same goes for people from within this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey