Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 12,375 times

Advertisements

Anyone live on a property close to the Montclair-Booton line - like with tracks visible from your window? I know the trains are frequent, because it's a commuter line. Does the noise drive you crazy? Do you just not notice after a while? Does the train wake up your kids, or terrorize your pets? Home shopping in an area where this is a serious concern for us - lovely homes with tracks just down the road or behind the house(s). It's tough out there. Would appreciate any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,978,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy778 View Post
Anyone live on a property close to the Montclair-Booton line - like with tracks visible from your window? I know the trains are frequent, because it's a commuter line. Does the noise drive you crazy? Do you just not notice after a while? Does the train wake up your kids, or terrorize your pets? Home shopping in an area where this is a serious concern for us - lovely homes with tracks just down the road or behind the house(s). It's tough out there. Would appreciate any thoughts!
Everybody's different, but personally I would never buy property that close to a rail line of any kind, but obviously some people just have a tolerance for it, as evidenced by the sheer amount of homes adjacent to and near rail lines. 99% of the time the rails where there before the houses were and it's not as if they're sitting vacant. "Down the road" is a little different. I live about 2 miles down the road from the station in High Bridge and when all else is quiet (ie: in the early morning hours) if I'm outside I can actually hear the train roll into the station, hear the brakes let out, and of course the horn. I'll only notice the horn from inside the house if, again, it's quiet outside and in the house (like in the middle of the night), but it's very faint and it's never actually woken me up-I've just noticed it when I was already awake. Ultimately it comes down to what you're comfortable with. Unless you've ever lived for a period of time near active rail tracks you can't really know for yourself what it's like.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:44 AM

596 posts, read 895,255 times
I imagine many people in Montclair, being such competitive real estate market, have no choice. Good school or proximity to NYC is attractive if you need it.

Old 04-10-2016, 06:26 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 04-10-2016, 07:06 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
The most important thing i would consider is your ability to sell it. I was looking at a home recently in a great location but right next to the tracks. But i noticed every time they had tried to sell the property it took 9 months then sold 100k under ask. Was too risky for my tastes.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:07 AM

Great point, thanks! This property is going for considerably lower than it should. Not sure if that's one of those "bid-it-up" strategies, where it's "under-listed" on purpose, or if it's because the owners know the tracks are a concern!

Old 04-11-2016, 06:09 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,748,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mummy778 View Post
Great point, thanks! This property is going for considerably lower than it should. Not sure if that's one of those "bid-it-up" strategies, where it's "under-listed" on purpose, or if it's because the owners know the tracks are a concern!
Yea its likely the discount of being near the tracks. I have seen steep discounts because of that. So just understand that you need to make sure you get it at a steep enough discount so that when you go to sell you dont have issues. You may be able to go lower. How many days has it been on the market?

Old 04-11-2016, 06:20 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkydapimp View Post
Yea its likely the discount of being near the tracks. I have seen steep discounts because of that. So just understand that you need to make sure you get it at a steep enough discount so that when you go to sell you dont have issues. You may be able to go lower. How many days has it been on the market?
You are not getting a discount when you buy less than desirable properties.

A 400K house on a 400 K lot is worth 800k= good location

A 400k house on a 100k lot is worth 500k= poor location

You get what you pay for.

When the realtors say loc.loc.loc., this is what they are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey