Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 11:27 AM

150 posts, read 646,847 times

Advertisements

Seems like I am jinxed

Within a month of buying a home in Monmouth county, which had passed all home inspections, a furnace motor stopped working (Trane XL80 model). The gas burning unit, furnace itself, was working fine; it is the air circulation was not happening, due blower motor not working. Good thing the home has two furnaces, one for upstairs (beds/baths), and one for downstairs (kitchen/family/living). The unit where blower stopped working impacted downstairs, so for 2 days, we spent minimum time downstairs.

I watched some DIY videos, and while technically I could do it, it would have required half day for me, and even then I am told some distributors do not sell such blowers to ordinary home owners; only licensed HVAC contractors.

So, I called a local HVAC repairman, and got it replaced. The replacement added up to $500.

-- Approx $300 for motor (Trane brand, 1/2 hp motor), including taxes.
-- $160 for repairman ($80 to diagnose, and $80 for him to get the motor from a Trane distributor 25 miles away, and replace).

Why am I posting this? To get over the buyer's remorse... is this reasonable rate? Too high? Just right? I realize that in this cold, we would have paid even $1000, if it had come to that, but still, feels like it should cost less...

P.S. No the home sale did not come with a "1 year home appliances warranty" sort of insurance. When I bought a less than $400K home in CA, such a warranty was included; when I bought the current home for 2.5 times that, in NJ, I was told that such warranty is considered tacky on high priced homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,664,173 times
Quote:
1 year home appliances warranty
Why would you expect a "used" home to come with such a warranty.

You did have a home inspection and any defects would have popped up and you should have been aware that any issues were your responsibility.

Better yet, you should have obtained your own policy such as the one offered by PSEG. They roll the payments right into your monthly bill.
PSE&G's WorryFree Appliance Repair and Replacement Services for Our NJ Customers

OR..
Home Warranty Companies 2013 | Top 10 Home Warranty Companies

Old 01-30-2014, 06:40 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,449 times
after 30 months of home ownership, I have come to the conclusion that 90% of all home issues that need a repairman of somesort are quite easy fixes that are not worth the several hundred dollars a repairman bends you over for. I am an engineer, and am technically inclined and consider myself pretty handy, and in my 30 months here I have probably saved myself thousands.

Youtube is an amazing resource. At least take a few minutes to educate yourself so a repairman doesnt take advantage of you in the future.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 PM

359 posts, read 1,100,219 times
it may sound a bit high...........but trane parts are high, a trademans time plus he went 25 miles away , I think it was a fair price for what you got.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:25 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
I am an engineer, and am technically inclined and consider myself pretty handy, and in my 30 months here I have probably saved myself thousands.
Are you sweating pipes, patching drywall, and fishing electric lines yet?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:36 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Quote:
after 30 months of home ownership, I have come to the conclusion that 90% of all home issues that need a repairman of somesort are quite easy fixes that are not worth the several hundred dollars a repairman bends you over for. I am an engineer, and am technically inclined and consider myself pretty handy, and in my 30 months here I have probably saved myself thousands.

Youtube is an amazing resource. At least take a few minutes to educate yourself so a repairman doesnt take advantage of you in the future.
Your recommendations are fine for those who are mechanically inclined but many men don't even know which end of the screwdriver to hold on to.

Some HVAC contractors who do repairs sometimes have the needed parts on their truck and if you have no heat time is of the essence so DIY troubleshooting is a waste of time.

For those who are mechanical and have some tools they should and usually do attempt repairs but your not going to educate a complete novice via the internet. A novice with a Home Depot starter tool kit can screw things up real quick.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,013,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Are you sweating pipes, patching drywall, and fishing electric lines yet?
all that and much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 07:45 PM

289 posts, read 608,521 times
Having bought 4 homes and moved a couple of times in the last 8 years I can tell you that things break more often during or soon after the move. I am not sure if it is murphy's law or what. Once you are settled, life will be back to normal. And don't even get me started about burnt out bulbs. I must have replaced at least a dozen bulbs within weeks of moving to my new place.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,593,220 times
All in all I think that's a fair price. I often do things myself and then I see that for something like automobile front brakes and a tie rod end which may cost me $100 in parts I see others hit with $800 bills at repair shops.Time is money too.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:38 AM

150 posts, read 646,847 times
Quote:

Tony,

I agree with you, and in the past I have done most household repairs myself.

However, I just moved to this home in Monmouth county, NJ, most of my own tools are still in boxes, first experience with northeast snow/winter (always been in California before), still adjusting to a 90 minute commute to Manhattan each way (prior commute in California was 5 minutes!).

So just completely out of time...

(Just in case anyone asks why I moved, well, it was a terrific career opportunity, big bump in pay, and give children exposure to another part of country... we intend to move back to California in 5-8 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey