Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
Just curious, what is your argument for not anchoring the stove to the floor? Consider this situation- someone takes out a heavy turkey (say 20lbs or even more) out of the oven and decided to rest it on the oven door, such a heavy load could cause the stove to tip over. I would say even if you are installing the stove by yourself, you should anchor it.
Now, getting the stove to lock into the anchor in the floor, that is hard to do! You need to get the anchor placement precisely right.
Wondering how much of a pain this is going to be to move the stove when I want to clean behind it.
Yes, I'm one of those weird people who actually clean behind the stove and refrigerator...hmmm wonder why the fridge does not have to be anchored in, after all you could get a dope standing on the bottom to reach the cabinet above it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 AM

45,376 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Wondering how much of a pain this is going to be to move the stove when I want to clean behind it.
Yes, I'm one of those weird people who actually clean behind the stove and refrigerator...hmmm wonder why the fridge does not have to be anchored in, after all you could get a dope standing on the bottom to reach the cabinet above it
Newer ones have straps to tie into the studs behind it.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
I've been resting the 25 lb turkey on the oven door to baste ever since I started to cook..it's never flipped the oven over
Yes, it seems to me if an oven could so easily flip just from having a turkey on the door, it's got to be cheesily made. Never heard of an oven tipping over.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Child's death from tipping stove leads to lawsuit : News

"...But the underlying story is well-known. At least 34 people have been killed in similar accidents across the country since 1980, according to officials and news accounts.

The problem dates to the 1980s, when appliance manufacturers began making stoves lighter. Eventually, the industry agreed to a voluntarily fix: It began providing anti-tip brackets beginning in 1991. Every new stove is supposed to include warnings and instructions on installing the brackets.

Many communities require a bracket as a condition of getting an occupancy permit.
St. Louis County's code enforcement inspectors won't pass a property unless the oven is installed to the manufacturer's specifications. If the maker requires an anti-tip bracket, so do the inspectors, officials said."

Old 06-18-2013, 08:05 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The problem dates to the 1980s, when appliance manufacturers began making stoves lighter.
Absolutely correct!

The plague of appliances that are too light does date back to the '80s, and it involves washing machines, as well as ovens.

When I was shopping for a new washer & dryer, circa 1985, I went to a friend of mine who had a part-time job as an appliance salesman. I knew that I would get a good price from him, as well as objective advice.

I had already narrowed down my choices to top-loaders from GE and Whirlpool, and was having a hard time deciding between the two brands. My friend removed the rear access panel from the GE washing machine, so that I could see the...unique...feature that it had. Believe it or not, each of those GE top-loaders had a cinder block in the base of the machine in order to counteract the reality that it was so light that it had a tendency to, "walk", during the spin cycle.

When I saw the cinder block in the base of the GE machine, that helped me decide to go with the Whirlpool machine, much to my benefit, IMHO.
That Whirlpool lasted for 16 years with no repairs, and I only replaced it as a result of doing redecorating.

The '80s marked the beginning of the long decline in GE appliance reliability. I think that, when manufacturers rely on placing cinder blocks in the base of their too-light appliances, this is a tip-off to bad design practices & shoddy construction.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Child's death from tipping stove leads to lawsuit : News

"...But the underlying story is well-known. At least 34 people have been killed in similar accidents across the country since 1980, according to officials and news accounts.

The problem dates to the 1980s, when appliance manufacturers began making stoves lighter. Eventually, the industry agreed to a voluntarily fix: It began providing anti-tip brackets beginning in 1991. Every new stove is supposed to include warnings and instructions on installing the brackets.

Many communities require a bracket as a condition of getting an occupancy permit.
St. Louis County's code enforcement inspectors won't pass a property unless the oven is installed to the manufacturer's specifications. If the maker requires an anti-tip bracket, so do the inspectors, officials said."
TY for link....so manufacturers skimp on product...hence they need to be anchored
Did not want holes drilled into my floor but guess I have no choice, especially since all this work is to sell house
I've always had self cleaning ovens where you pull the lever over to lock the oven door..when kids were little I always kept it locked unless of course I was cooking and then I would be in kitchen...

Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 AM

50,772 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
TY for link....so manufacturers skimp on product...hence they need to be anchored
Did not want holes drilled into my floor but guess I have no choice, especially since all this work is to sell house
I've always had self cleaning ovens where you pull the lever over to lock the oven door..when kids were little I always kept it locked unless of course I was cooking and then I would be in kitchen...
Definitely do it if you're selling, who knows if you'd be the one getting sued if your hubby puts it in w/o anchors and the new owners have something happen, even years from now.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
my new range came with te feature of locking the control panel. so instead of having to put some childproofing device on, i just lock the panel with a series of buttons, and my kids cannot accidentally turn the oven on, then accidentally open the door, and accidentally kill themselves/burn themselves. but then again...only stupid people would do that, so GE should have never included such a feature on their new ranges.

locking the door? what stupid person would open the door?! i hate features for stupid people!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my new range came with te feature of locking the control panel. so instead of having to put some childproofing device on, i just lock the panel with a series of buttons, and my kids cannot accidentally turn the oven on, then accidentally open the door, and accidentally kill themselves/burn themselves. but then again...only stupid people would do that, so GE should have never included such a feature on their new ranges.

locking the door? what stupid person would open the door?! i hate features for stupid people!
I don't know why the door has to be locked during the self cleaning cycle but if you do not lock the door the clean cycle will not turn on..and yes sorry many of these rules are created to protect the stupid from themselves, excluding children from the stupid part.

When referring to stupid people and there are plenty of them out there I didn't mean children

Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Definitely do it if you're selling, who knows if you'd be the one getting sued if your hubby puts it in w/o anchors and the new owners have something happen, even years from now.
Will do for sure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey