Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 AM

1 posts, read 911 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Manhattan

Why are you moving? Save money, move back into a more calm area, and other personal reasons

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC? Midtown/Murray Hill/East Village area and Flushing, Queens

Will you buy or rent? Rent

What is your budget ? 1300 max for the ideal apartment (with washer, dryer, safe area, parking space, etc.)

What kind of place are you looking for? A studio or 1 BR apartment

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No

Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in: Regular suburban community where 20-30 year olds can live. Should ideally be in an area with some activities, or within a reasonable driving distance to a location with restaurants, bars, etc.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc): Downtown area, safety, short commute

I’m in my late 20s and I currently live in Manhattan (originally from NJ). I’m looking to move to back to the Garden State for several different reasons.

My job requires that I be in Manhattan and Flushing, and I sometimes work late at night, about 8 - 9 pm in Queens. However, my work is generally split about 60/40, favoring Manhattan. I go to Flushing one day per week, or take the subway to Queens on days that I am working in Manhattan so my day is split half-and-half between those two locations. Although it sounds hectic, I’d spend most of my week in Manhattan with a few trips to Flushing, with one guaranteed full day in Flushing per week.

Unfortunately, I'm not interested in living in Queens for various reasons and sharing an apartment is not something I'd like to do.

I was thinking I'd take the Transit into Manhattan and walk/take the bus to wherever I need to go, and take the LIRR from Penn Station to get to Flushing, or at worst, take the E and a bus into Queens. If required, I can take my car into Queens although I'm not entirely sure what route to take or whether that's such a good idea because of so much traffic, construction, breakdowns, etc. I could also take a bus into Manhattan if that's better than the Transit.

It would be great if I could get an apartment within talking distance to the train station. South Orange and Union appear to be good areas....I was originally looking into Montclair but it's a bit pricey for me and the Transit requires a transfer. Although the Union station requires a transfer as well, I was thinking I could drive to a Midtown Direct line station and go from there. Newark is, location-wise, an ideal area but I don't want to live there for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey