Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,717 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just found this site. My husband is looking at a possible transfer to Parsippany, NJ. We currently live in Phoenix, AZ and have absolutely no idea what the traffic situation is in NJ. As I was looking for possible areas to live, West Milford looks rather affordable. Does anyone know what the commute would be like from there to Parsippany? It looks to be about 30 miles but I'm unsure of how bad traffic would be during peak hours. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you!

Deanna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:25 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,604,710 times
As far as NJ goes, that is a relatively unpopulated part of NJ so while it might take 30 to 45 minutes, and I'm just guessing, you can look it up on Goo Maps or elsewhere, that would be an enjoyable "piece of cake" ride compared to others. Parsippany does get a bunch of traffic because there are many corporate and office parks and quite a few highways and interstates come together there, but you have no toll roads, back roads, all in all not a bad deal.

Okay here ya go, 33 to 45 minutes without traffic:
You will hit some traffic weekdays coming down 2's 8's and 7's (I-287)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...ra=ls&t=m&z=11

Old 07-20-2013, 02:01 PM

696 posts, read 907,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
As far as NJ goes, that is a relatively unpopulated part of NJ so while it might take 30 to 45 minutes, and I'm just guessing, you can look it up on Goo Maps or elsewhere, that would be an enjoyable "piece of cake" ride compared to others. Parsippany does get a bunch of traffic because there are many corporate and office parks and quite a few highways and interstates come together there, but you have no toll roads, back roads, all in all not a bad deal.

Okay here ya go, 33 to 45 minutes without traffic:
You will hit some traffic weekdays coming down 2's 8's and 7's (I-287)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...ra=ls&t=m&z=11
Unfortunately, you have to traverse Route 23 to get to Route 287. Route 23 is a 2 lane highway at capacity with all the sprawl that overran Sussex County in the last 20 years. Depending on where you are in West Milford, it can take 20+ minutes to get to Route 23 and then another 30 minutes to Route 287 in the best of circumstances. I won't speak to the ambience of West Milford; I would suggest you make an extend visit to decide if it is right for you; I know many people who moved there only to regret it. For what it's worth, many can't wait to leave the state once their kids are out of school due to the high property taxes.

Old 07-20-2013, 06:31 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,124,790 times
287 south bound towards the 80 intersection (Parsippany) is terrible. Its always backed up.. every weekday for a few miles. Fortunately, I'm always heading the opposite direction on north bound 287. I always feel bad for those stuck on the other side. My commute starts at 7:30am and its already backed up at that time.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,717 times
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,457,938 times
Can you give us more information on exactly where in Parsippany Hubby will be working? Parsippany is a very large and spread out township, so the actual commute time from W Milford will depend a lot on where within Parsippany the work site is located. It can easily make a ~30/45 min difference if the job in in the NW part of the Twp, near the border of Mt. Lakes, verses if it is located in the SE section, near the intersection of Rte 10 and Rte 202 (I chose those areas as, both areas have several large business campuses)

KoalaNJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey