Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,049 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to NJ this summer - my husband will be working at the Tet. and Morristown airports and will have flexi hours. We have 7 year old twins and would like to be a good school district with decent priced houses. Have heard great things about LV ! Know it will be a long commute to Tet. but should be mangeable since hubby won't have to nec. go during peak commute hours. What are property taxes in LV like - found a house on E. Valley Brook Rd we like??? Any suggestions for places closer to Tet but still affordable in good school district???
Thanks ahead of time for responses - feel overwhelmed as we have been living in Belgium for 51/2 years and previously lived in Savannah, GA ! IF there are any South Africans in the area, please let us know - we were both born and bred in sunny SA and still visit home every year !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,697,858 times
I live here, and like it *very* much. Especially now, you can get a very good deal, the housing market has been hit hard, primarily because of our location, we're kind of "out there". Schools are very good, people are wonderful, especially if you make an effort to get involved. I don't know any South Africans, but do know British, Scottish and Irish transplants. Taxes like anywhere in NJ are high, but by far you get the most for your money in LV than anywhere in Morris County.

*HINT* - when and if you make an offer on a house, make sure you know the MOST RECENT house value assessment and do not pay ONE PENNY over it. The town was recently reassessed (within the past few months), and the values are pretty spot on - IMHO you'll be overpaying if you pay more than that value (*most* houses are priced over and in some cases WAY over assessed value). If your realtor tells you I'm full of it, LOL, find another realtor. I'm serious!

Good luck.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 AM

3 posts, read 4,049 times
Tahiti,
THANKS for your input - you seem to know your stuff when it comes to LV ! I'll be sure to keep in mind your assessment value info - I'm sure there are many ppl out there trying to sell their place for more than it's been assessed at, esp in the downturn of the market etc.
Will let you know more once my hubby makes it up there this weekend.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMel View Post
Tahiti,
THANKS for your input - you seem to know your stuff when it comes to LV ! I'll be sure to keep in mind your assessment value info - I'm sure there are many ppl out there trying to sell their place for more than it's been assessed at, esp in the downturn of the market etc.
Will let you know more once my hubby makes it up there this weekend.
Best of luck - I'll be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:37 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Good luck with your search. Any budget or other considerations?

I do have some neighbors in Randolph that are from South Africa; if you consider that area, I'm sure they'd be happy to welcome you.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 PM

6 posts, read 17,240 times
Hi !
We are moving from CA to NJ and we are thinking of moving to Long Valley . We initially started to look at rentals but looking at the price of rentals we are wondering if we should just buy something small . We plan to live in Long Valley for about 5 years after which we might have to relocate. In that case , how easy /hard is it to rent your house out ?

Thanks so much for all your help

Old 10-25-2013, 07:56 AM

200 posts, read 555,215 times
Yikes, that would be quite a commute. I took a look at what was in between and there is not much to choose from, but I did see a house at 161 Broad St in Summit which is in the same price range as the house you mentioned above, plus the taxes are lower. Summit would be great to get to Morristown and closer to Teterboro. Great town, walkable, great schools etc. Some may say its a little snobby, but you get that in a lot of places. Aside from this house though, Summit would not be too affordable.

If your budget is higher, then you would have more options. If you're looking at two bedrooms, then maybe you could consider a townhome? Basking Ridge would have 2 bedroom townhomes and is a wonderful community with excellent schools. Its further East than LV so closer to both airports.

The taxes on the home you mentioned above seem high for a two bedroom, but I'm not too familiar with LV and its taxes, maybe thats normal?

Old 10-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen123RE View Post
Yikes, that would be quite a commute. I took a look at what was in between and there is not much to choose from, but I did see a house at 161 Broad St in Summit which is in the same price range as the house you mentioned above, plus the taxes are lower. Summit would be great to get to Morristown and closer to Teterboro. Great town, walkable, great schools etc. Some may say its a little snobby, but you get that in a lot of places. Aside from this house though, Summit would not be too affordable.

If your budget is higher, then you would have more options. If you're looking at two bedrooms, then maybe you could consider a townhome? Basking Ridge would have 2 bedroom townhomes and is a wonderful community with excellent schools. Its further East than LV so closer to both airports.

The taxes on the home you mentioned above seem high for a two bedroom, but I'm not too familiar with LV and its taxes, maybe thats normal?
Karen, the post you're responding to is over 3 yrs old.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:14 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomnj View Post
Hi !
We are moving from CA to NJ and we are thinking of moving to Long Valley . We initially started to look at rentals but looking at the price of rentals we are wondering if we should just buy something small . We plan to live in Long Valley for about 5 years after which we might have to relocate. In that case , how easy /hard is it to rent your house out ?

Thanks so much for all your help
I suggest you start a new thread. Your question is lost in an old topic.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 17,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I suggest you start a new thread. Your question is lost in an old topic.
Thanks . I did that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey