Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times

Advertisements

Middle class Liberals only support illegal immigrants because it usually doesn't directly effect them negatively. If we were to have completely free movement of international labor into this country they would be up in arms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Default if the cops see a group of guys soliciting for work; it makes perfect sense to check their legal status.

It makes sense to some but the police are not allowed to check on their status unless they commit an indictable crime. We actually had to sign a release issued from the attorney general of the state of nj saying that we CANNOT stop someone checking on their legal status. WE, US americans can be fired and charged for violating an illegals rights(shaking my head).

Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
It makes sense to some but the police are not allowed to check on their status unless they commit an indictable crime. We actually had to sign a release issued from the attorney general of the state of nj saying that we CANNOT stop someone checking on their legal status. WE, US americans can be fired and charged for violating an illegals rights(shaking my head).
that is because the law is currently made up by people who were paid by the illegal immigration lobby. they intentionally made the rules so they wouldn't be effective.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
that's an interesting point of view on immigrants who put their lives at risk to come into a country and work their butts off in agriculture, restaurants, and service-oriented industries. Not sure where you get 20 million. Aren't we currently deporting about 400,000/yr, and we're down to around 11M estimated? We also are net-negative as far as crossing the border. More are leaving than coming. And of course, this all ignores that most latin americans, of which the illegal immigrant discussion always centers around, are more conservative in their christian beliefs than most conservative christians in America.
that 11 million is a completely false made up number. it will magically be much much higher if you legalize them.

I wonder if the same people that suggest walmart could easily raise wages and it wouldn't hurt them at all are also suggesting that if we hired legal citizens instead of illegal aliens; our produce would be unaffordable and all restaurants would go out of business.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that 11 million is a completely false made up number. it will magically be much much higher if you legalize them.

I wonder if the same people that suggest walmart could easily raise wages and it wouldn't hurt them at all are also suggesting that if we hired legal citizens instead of illegal aliens; our produce would be unaffordable and all restaurants would go out of business.
so much for you backing up your statements, just more talking out of your azz (see also: Greece, Sandy)

Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
have I just been godwinned here?

when we hire someone in my office, they present ID. you cant just hire random guys off the street legally. if the cops see a group of guys soliciting for work; it makes perfect sense to check their legal status.
Let's do what immigrants have been doing for decades. We'll drive to downtown Paterson, talk to a few people, fork over hundreds of dollars and score some real-looking IDs. Also works for college kids who want to bypass the drinking age.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
I do not support illegal immigration but that does not mean I think requiring Spanish looking people to carry ID and allowing local police to stop anyone for any reason to identify themselves as US citizens is a good idea.

We all know that is who the ID law is aimed at not the illegal Irish living in Queens or the new wave of Romanians, Hungarians etc.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
that is because the law is currently made up by people who were paid by the illegal immigration lobby. they intentionally made the rules so they wouldn't be effective.
What's the address of this shadowy lobby? US 'Mericans demand to know.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
that link doesn't work for me. if you posted something showing a lot of I-9 audits are being done, id love to see it. its not something that ive ever experienced at work. i don't know how much of it gets done; but enforcement of small businesses or individuals hiring illegals would need more scrutiny. it would be tough to get individuals but landscapers, farmers, restaurants, construction, etc. im sure there are people who know where to look. there are people that do come to my work and look at our stuff and it does encourage us to make sure we do everything right. but in reality; you probably need to go after the smaller guys to catch this type of behavior.
odd, it worked for me from my google search yesterday, but now the link requires a login. here's some others:

The Impact of Another I-9 Audit Wave on Employers | LawLogix

this is the google link to the SHRM article, should work now:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...X8yIDBn3gKFVaQ

Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
the rule isn't to protect illegals' rights, it's to protect the rest of us, who may or may not look like an illegal to the cops, from being harassed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey