Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:43 PM

11,340 posts, read 16,697,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
The pension would be in fine shape if the State made their contribution as required. You can not skip the majority of a required payment for 23 plus years and then say we can not afford the plan.

You should also stop trying to sell the 20 year and retire for 40 nonsense. That pension plan is in okay shape. The plans not in good shape are the plans funded partially by the State. It is all because the State did not fund the plans with the 4% of each employees salary for State workers and teachers. Those plans required 25 years and at least 55 but the average retiree did 35 plus years and was 62.
If you really read my post I said NYC for 20 years and collect for 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 04:50 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,021 times
I read it but what does NY have to do with a discussion about NJ's pension system?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,526 times
One controversy after another.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-pro...dy-relief-ads/

Funny that he found the money to fund illegals in-state tuition payments. He should try cutting some welfare and other entitlements first. The state hasn't paid their share in years. what a shock when you don't make payments bad things happen. I wonder what he will do when there is a massive revolt by all those getting screwed by his policies.

Christie's only concern is getting himself elected to a national office and pleasing his backers.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:28 PM

19,120 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
One controversy after another.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-pro...dy-relief-ads/

Funny that he found the money to fund illegals in-state tuition payments. He should try cutting some welfare and other entitlements first. The state hasn't paid their share in years. what a shock when you don't make payments bad things happen. I wonder what he will do when there is a massive revolt by all those getting screwed by his policies.

Christie's only concern is getting himself elected to a national office and pleasing his backers.

Nothing would make CC's best friends, the Koch brothers, happier than to de-fund the pensions of rank & file state employees who have faithfully paid into the pension system for 35 years--or more--only to have the state default on their contractual obligation.

As usual, we have the class warfare that the right wing has been trying to incite for many years. Now that they have the Faux News Network to do their dirty work of paying the wealthy to tell the middle class that all of their problems are the result of public employees, the process of class warfare has accelerated. And, of course, our esteemed governor will do anything that accomplishes two goals:
  • Increasing his funding from The Koch Brothers and other far right-wing elements
  • Advancing his goal of becoming POTUS, regardless of what happens to the citizens of NJ

Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 PM

11,340 posts, read 16,697,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1944 View Post
I read it but what does NY have to do with a discussion about NJ's pension system?
Just a comment on how pension systems have the potential to bankrupt the system.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 PM

323 posts, read 575,253 times
the sooner everyone sees that it is the extremely wealthy that divide and conquer the better off everyone will be

democrat republican the same nonsense ,corporate America runs local and national government and dictate policy

for many years everyone was led to believe that it was entitlements that have caused federal and state debt always blaming the poor ,if corporate America paid a fair livable wage there would be no need for food stamps and such programs ,corporate America is the biggest moocher of all and sooo many people cant see it

Old 01-15-2014, 06:33 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,078 times
my new property tax bill came this week, guess what? They went up again

Old 01-15-2014, 06:42 PM

43 posts, read 84,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I agree with what he said. It would give me great pleasure to see public workers stipped of their pensions.
It would give me great pleasure to see private sector workers fired, demoted, or stripped of their 401k's. After all, they only suck profits out of companies by demanding outrageous salaries and exorbitant benefits, therefore making me pay more for their products and services.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:49 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,012,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewawa View Post
It would give me great pleasure to see private sector workers fired, demoted, or stripped of their 401k's. After all, they only suck profits out of companies by demanding outrageous salaries and exorbitant benefits, therefore making me pay more for their products and services.
Here is where your analogy is flawed. If you're sick of overpaying for a certain workers compensation for any private corporation, guess what? You are free to take your business elsewhere. My property taxes went up AGAIN. Guess what? I can't call my local town hall and tell them I want a new local municipal gov because these idiots cant run a township.

These pension plans are UNSUSTAINABLE. A house of cards, ponzi scheme. One day it will fail.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,626,021 times
Anyone that thinks the pensions could bankrupt a State does not understand the finances of the State. Look at the budget- before the State could go bankrupt (if the law allowed it) a trustee could stop so many discretionary payments there would be plenty to fund the pensions and pay the debt. Add to that the trustee could liquidate assets like he considered doing in Detroit (selling art) and there is more than enough funds to make up the 23+ years of missed payments.

Politicians just misuse data and play off peoples envy to push legislation to avoid tough choices and push the blame to some other group. Christies group to blame is teachers. There are others past and present that used other groups to blame.

The State budget is $31 billion and operating expenses and other fixed costs are $6 billion. Factor in State assets- sell the Turnpike and it is tough to say the State is bankrupt.

Tony the local pensions even with several years of missed payments are about 78% funded. 80% is considered adequate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey