Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM

7 posts, read 10,728 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My wife has got a job at the Morristown Medical Center and so we are planning to relocate to Morristown this summer from Princeton. Could you suggest any good apartments for us to to check out ?

We are looking for a 2 bedroom apt/house to rent and would ideally like spend under $2500/month. Max. we could budget is $3000. Since my wife would have crazy work hours, the apartments needs be in Morristown and preferably closer to the hospital.
Also, are there any unsafe areas that we should avoid ?

Apart from that, I might have to commute once in a while to NYC. How easy is it to find parking at the station? Would Convent Station be any better in that regard ? Am assuming the best way to commute to the city is via NJ Transit.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:51 PM

166 posts, read 240,809 times
I don't know what the rents are but there are a few apartment complexes in the area. At least one on Madison Ave (Pitney Place) and two on South Street - Parson's Village and Blair House (an apartment building across from Kings supermarket). You might also find rentals in these condo developments: Moore Estate on Woodland Ave. or Liberty Greens on Punch Bowl Road. All are very close to the hospital.

Some of these are in the Morristown and some in Morris Twp - don't let that get in the way (the hospital's corporate offices are actually in the Twp). The best approach might be to contact a local Realtor who can give you the 'lay of the land' cost-wise and what might be available - including rental homes in the area.

NJ Transit train to NYC is definatly the easiest from this area. Daily (non-pemit) parking at Convent Station can be difficult - especially on Wednesdays (matinee day in NYC). It is convenient if there is a space - so try it. Parking is much worse in Madison. While it's one stop further west the Morristown Station might be the best bet for the occasional commute to the city.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 AM

862 posts, read 975,482 times
If you want to move to Morristown itself I think being near the downtown area near the "green" is the best part of town as it is most walkable, most city like, but the parking can be tighter. They are building "luxury rentals" all over town, so there would be no shortage of nice apartments at that price range, the negatives about the downtown? homeless people(they generally do not panhandle), large groups of drunk young people on Saturday nights on South Street, just to consider, otherwise great place.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_scott View Post
I don't know what the rents are but there are a few apartment complexes in the area. At least one on Madison Ave (Pitney Place) and two on South Street - Parson's Village and Blair House (an apartment building across from Kings supermarket). You might also find rentals in these condo developments: Moore Estate on Woodland Ave. or Liberty Greens on Punch Bowl Road. All are very close to the hospital.

Some of these are in the Morristown and some in Morris Twp - don't let that get in the way (the hospital's corporate offices are actually in the Twp). The best approach might be to contact a local Realtor who can give you the 'lay of the land' cost-wise and what might be available - including rental homes in the area.

NJ Transit train to NYC is definatly the easiest from this area. Daily (non-pemit) parking at Convent Station can be difficult - especially on Wednesdays (matinee day in NYC). It is convenient if there is a space - so try it. Parking is much worse in Madison. While it's one stop further west the Morristown Station might be the best bet for the occasional commute to the city.
Thanks for the suggestions. We are heading to Morristown this weekend to familiarize ourself with the area. Will check out the apartment complexes you mentioned. Renting from private party (condos) wont be my first preference, since service to fix any issues in the house can be slow.Then again, there can be a poorly managed apartment complex.. so there's that.

On a side note, didnt know Wednesday's matinee day in NYC was still a thing!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
If you want to move to Morristown itself I think being near the downtown area near the "green" is the best part of town as it is most walkable, most city like, but the parking can be tighter. They are building "luxury rentals" all over town, so there would be no shortage of nice apartments at that price range, the negatives about the downtown? homeless people(they generally do not panhandle), large groups of drunk young people on Saturday nights on South Street, just to consider, otherwise great place.
Staying in downtown sure would be nice. But from what I saw online, a 2 bedrrom apt in those luxury apartments is in upward of $3000. Any decent, well mantained/managed apartments in the area that can be within the budget (2500 approx) ? Thanks.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:20 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
I have a friend that recently moved into this complex: Park Avenue at Florham Park - Ward Place | Florham Park, NJ Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Very convenient access to the hopital and even closer to the Convent Station train stop.

And a lot cheaper than the luxury ones by the green in downtown Morristown.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I have a friend that recently moved into this complex: Park Avenue at Florham Park - Ward Place | Florham Park, NJ Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

Very convenient access to the hopital and even closer to the Convent Station train stop.

And a lot cheaper than the luxury ones by the green in downtown Morristown.
Thanks! I will check that place too. It sure fits the bill.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:47 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,978,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winash View Post
Thanks! I will check that place too. It sure fits the bill.
It's kind of in the middle of a bunch of corporate buildings, so there is nothing right around it and you can't really walk to anything. But... very easy car access to Morristown, Madison and Florham Park.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:50 PM

Agree, I will still try to find something closer to the downtown, so there are more things to do. But this seems like a good fallback option.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:01 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,975 times
An ideal area for you would be one of the apartment complexes in and around Elm Street, Hill Street and Franklin Place. There are several, a few of which are managed by a client of mine. You could actually walk to either the hospital or the train station. My daughter lived there for a few years in a 2 bedroom and it was around $2500. Not sure if there are any vacancies but it is worth a call, and a visit to see what might be available. Parking is available in some cases but often problematic. NJ Real Estate Development Acquisition Residential Commercial

Rhys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey