Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 05:02 AM

11 posts, read 31,882 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Fairfield county to NJ. I need a decent commute to NY (Port Authority or Penn) but needs to be driveable to Orangeburg. I work in midtown east but I don't think any buses go into NY then crosstown. From above towns, which is easiest and fastest commute? Which towns have best schools? Appreciate any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,526 times
Old Tappan & River Vale are probably the better school districts, but River Edge & Fair Lawn's are good districts. Commute to NYC would be easier from River Edge & Fair Lawn, as they have NYC train stops, while Old Tappan & River Vale don't. And of course, Old Tappan & River Vale are very close to Orangeburg, NY.

Old Tappan & River Vale are also more expensive towns to buy in. You'll have to weigh your options. Any other factors in your search besides commute and schools? Those could influence your decision also.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:37 AM

334 posts, read 438,277 times
Old Tappan & River Vale are upper class towns with beautiful McMansions throughout. It has excellent school system but poor public transportation, and its located is next to Rockland County, NY. Most people are white.

River Edge is centrally located, middle class town with great public schools they share with Oradell. It is located next to RT 4 and all the other major highways and malls, as well as being short commute to NYC with bus and has train station. It's located in heart of Bergen County. Beautiful town! Most people are white and large minorities of Koreans.

Fair Lawn is generally a nice town and affordable. However, it is slightly further located away from NYC than River Edge but offers second best commute to NYC after River Edge. The town is very diverse, home to different Europeans, Jewish, some Hispanics, etc. with good schools.

I would go with River Edge in terms of location, public transportation, housing, beauty, amenities, schools, etc. It is also in between Orangeburg and Midtown Manhattan.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 AM

271 posts, read 566,533 times
I live in Fair Lawn and commute to Midtown West via NJ Transit bus. The bus ride to Port Authority takes me ~35 minutes (6:25am bus) in the morning and ~45 minutes going home (5:40pm bus) in the evenings. There are also 2 train stations in Fair Lawn if you prefer train service. I personally think it all depends on when you go into work. if you go in really early like me, taking the bus is usually fine. Sometimes when i have to go in a little later (~7:30am), the traffic is substantially heavier than it is at 6:30am.

While I don't have much knowledge about Old Tappan and Rivervale, I can tell you those towns are really far from the Manhattan relative to River Edge & Fair Lawn.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:30 AM

11 posts, read 31,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1975 View Post
Old Tappan & River Vale are probably the better school districts, but River Edge & Fair Lawn's are good districts. Commute to NYC would be easier from River Edge & Fair Lawn, as they have NYC train stops, while Old Tappan & River Vale don't. And of course, Old Tappan & River Vale are very close to Orangeburg, NY.

Old Tappan & River Vale are also more expensive towns to buy in. You'll have to weigh your options. Any other factors in your search besides commute and schools? Those could influence your decision also.
Thank you all for getting back to me with all of this information! Those are the main factors now. We are also curious about Hillsdale, Emerson, New Milford, Haworth, Washington Township. I may revise my post b/c we are moving with 2 young kids so looking for town good for raising kids.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:24 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,089,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknyc View Post
I live in Fair Lawn and commute to Midtown West via NJ Transit bus. The bus ride to Port Authority takes me ~35 minutes (6:25am bus) in the morning and ~45 minutes going home (5:40pm bus) in the evenings. There are also 2 train stations in Fair Lawn if you prefer train service. I personally think it all depends on when you go into work. if you go in really early like me, taking the bus is usually fine. Sometimes when i have to go in a little later (~7:30am), the traffic is substantially heavier than it is at 6:30am.
I start work at 9:00 am so I tried several buses that leave around 8:00 am. The bus ride can take as long as 50 minutes to an hour due to traffic. It got stuck regularly in traffic before he go to the Turnpike's "express" bus lane. While there, I doubt it was making more than 30 mph. I really appreciate the train...

Old 05-10-2014, 08:33 AM

777 posts, read 2,379,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relo66 View Post
Thank you all for getting back to me with all of this information! Those are the main factors now. We are also curious about Hillsdale, Emerson, New Milford, Haworth, Washington Township. I may revise my post b/c we are moving with 2 young kids so looking for town good for raising kids.
Emerson & Hillsdale you will have access to the Pascack Valley train line and both have good schools. Haworth and Washington Township also have good schools, but you'll have to take the bus in or have someone drop you off at the train station in neighboring towns with train service. Schools are ok in New Milford and you would have to take the train out of neighboring Oradell or River Edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey