Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Hand on Car Wash in Belleville.

Hands On Car Wash | Auto Detail New Jersey

Hands On Hand Car Wash - Belleville, NJ | Yelp

This is not a plug for them and I have no affiliation with them. I have had hit or misses when it comes to car washes and car detailing. This is the best I have found. My 1st time their today. Took over 4 hours

What's your favorite?
PJs SpringLake…love them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I cannot recall the last time I went to a car wash. Paying somebody to wash my car is not high on the list of things I want to waste money on.

I used to do it in my mother's driveway occasionally when I lived up her way. Bought a 2010 Toyota in 2013, and I have yet to wash it.

Do people really wash their cars so frequently that they have a favorite place to go?
Yup, I get my car washed once a week all year. Salt is a beast and I don't want it eating away at the bottom of my car. Also its bad for the environment to wash all that soap down the sewer.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:28 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
I don't think I've EVER noticed whether someone's car was shiny and clean or not.
I only noticed how filthy my car was one time. that was when it was winter and I was living in Albany. I drove down the dc. the cars all around me looked so clean because they hadn't just been through all the dirt, salt, etc. of driving in the Albany winter. it was an impressive difference.

however, its not like I was gonna have it cleaned anyway. im not gonna clean my car. I don't really care how it looks.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:57 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,626,350 times
My favorite car wash is my driveway, with a bottle of beer. A few drop of dish soap in a bucket, a piece of an old tee shirt and an old chamois(sp) to dry it. Its worked for over 40 years and it's still in business.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:37 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Exactly.
No. Nooks and crannies. My son son, the auto mechanic, advises getting at least one wash a year after the last last snow melt. There's really no other good way to get the caked on crud off of the underside of the vehicle. Driving through puddles doesn't count.

Old 05-06-2014, 05:19 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No. Nooks and crannies. My son son, the auto mechanic, advises getting at least one wash a year after the last last snow melt. There's really no other good way to get the caked on crud off of the underside of the vehicle. Driving through puddles doesn't count.
Hmm, that does make sense. Do all car washes clean the underside or do you have to ask for that?

What's funny is that I have a car wash within walking distance of my house. Not that anyone would need to walk to a car wash, but I cannot go anywhere without driving past it, and I've never gone there.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:03 AM

414 posts, read 931,270 times
Quote:
Hmm, that does make sense. Do all car washes clean the underside or do you have to ask for that?

What's funny is that I have a car wash within walking distance of my house. Not that anyone would need to walk to a car wash, but I cannot go anywhere without driving past it, and I've never gone there.
Most of the automatic car washes offer the option to clean the underside with warm water spray jets. Definitely a must after a snow storm to get all of the salt / brine crap from underneath cleared away.

I personally don't like getting dirt embedded in my paint finish...causes scratches and dulls the paint...so I get my car washed on a more or less regular basis.

If you wanna try the Mother Nature approach using rainstorms ..you'll need a big ole sponge, a wash bucket with a small amount of car wash solution...don't forget the bathing suit!

HowStuffWorks "Should You Wash Your Car Naturally with Rain?"

Another thing I do in between car washes is use a California Duster (pic below)...you can find these at any Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Target or Walmart. This helps to clear off dust, pollen, etc and makes the car look nice...I think this may be perfect for you! It's quick and easy..

Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 AM

279 posts, read 461,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Hand on Car Wash in Belleville.

Hands On Car Wash | Auto Detail New Jersey

Hands On Hand Car Wash - Belleville, NJ | Yelp

This is not a plug for them and I have no affiliation with them. I have had hit or misses when it comes to car washes and car detailing. This is the best I have found. My 1st time their today. Took over 4 hours

What's your favorite?

There's a place in Elizabeth I go to that does hand washes, plus interior cleaning for like $10.99...........afterwards my car has that "new car smell" so I really enjoy that.

I only go there because it's so cheap. I don't do it regularly, maybe once a month now that it's warm outside. I don't bother washing my car from December to March/April or so, but once it starts getting warm, I do it. I don't know what it is, but it's just something about having a nice, clean, shiny car in the summertime (especially if you're going down to the shore) that just feels good.

Sidenote: That place in Elizabeth is located on North Ave, so it might actually be in Union. It's over near Kean.

There's another place in Roselle Park on Rt. 28 that advertises $3 handwash (yes, $3) but I've never tried them. I can't help but wonder what's the catch with prices that low.

Sidenote #2: If people don't wash their cars, hey that's on them, it does me no harm............but for what it's worth, rain does not wash your car. That's like saying instead of taking a shower, you're just going to wait til it rains and walk outside naked.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,485 times
Haven't been to a car wash in 2 years now.
I do my own wash and will keep it that way until...
1. I can afford to pay someone to have it done right or
2. I am physically unable to do so or
3. when I don't give a rats behind

Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's really no other good way to get the caked on crud off of the underside of the vehicle. Driving through puddles doesn't count.
im not aware of how this crud from salt and dirt will impact something that may cost me money. im not aware of ever having damage from that that required repairs or that ive been hit when returning/selling a car due to damage from dirt/salt. so unless I see it in my wallet, then im not opening the wallet for washes. however, your recommendation of once a year (at least) is pretty conservative so its not like that would make a huge dent in my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey