Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:22 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,454,676 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, there are a lot of them in NJ, as well as everywhere in the entire tri state area. The headache I am referring to is the one that commuters get as they commute through Morris Co on Rts 80, 287, 24, 280, and 80 daily. From the latest press release from the DOT is seems as the construction will continue well into 2015. Report: Big construction on Route 80, 287 will continue into 2015 | NJ.com

I have lived in this area for a long, long time and in fact I cannot recall a time when there was not some construction on either 80, 287 or 280 in Morris Co. Often there was construction on more than one highway at once, and several times it was occurring on all three at once. I probably should not admit this on a public forum, but I remember when they got the section of 287 to Montville completed and opened in 1973, (as a kid, I am not that old!) I remember what a fiasco the interchange of 287 and Rte 80 was at first, and the weekly horrible accidents where semi's kept jackknifing on the ramps. Shortly after the interchange was opened, they set about making changes and improvements to try to correct things. As it turned out these revisions were to happen over and over again, each as an attempt to finally correct the problems. How many time has the intersection been re-vamped now, is it 5 or 6 now? The interchange still stinks, and there are still semi's jackknifing, although thank god not nearly as often as they used to. As I write they are STILL re constructing the interchange trying to get it right, and making deck repairs in the area. I also remember when they finally completed the northernmost section connecting 287 all the way up past the NY state line in 1994. I remember 1989 when rte 78 finally opened to many promises that this would cure the east/west commuter woes. Clearly that cure never materialized. I also remember 1992 when rt 24 first opened. I remember it well because on my way home the first week the road was open, a deer ran into the side of my (then) new car and flipped up onto the hood/windshield nearly totaling the car and me in one fell swoop. We all were told rt 24 would make our commutes so much easier for all in Morris and Essex Counties and alleviate all that traffic congestion. Well, that certainly never happened. Anyone who drives these roads knows that these roads simply do not have the capacity needed for all that must use the roads daily. It is also clear that there is no land realistically available to build more infrastructure bisecting Northern NJ.

I guess we just have to accept that, sadly, no the construction will never end, and yes we will always have horrible traffic congestion.

KoalaNJ
(mini rant over, I promise)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 AM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Many times almost daily I used to sneak on the partially built sections of NJ 24 before it was opened. You had to know where the pavement ended and hop over to the other side.

I remember there's a front page pic of me and my two then very young sons standing on the overpass while Gov Kean cut the ribbons to open I 78.

Many memories and while today the roads get filled during rush hours pretty much every day, that capacity just wasn't there before they were built.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Problem too is all the people who moved out to the Pocono's for cheaper housing and taxes but can't find decent paying jobs out there clog 80, 280 and 287 commuting to jobs in Morris and Essex counties.

Could never figure that out...cheaper houses and taxes but what is the commute costing them in gas, wear and tear on the cars plus wear and tear on themselves as I think that is an awful commute.

I use 80 every day and there is plenty of PA plates whizzing by me.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:46 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
I actually got an alert from @MCUrgent at 7:41 AM today: "MVA - Parsippany - Rt.80EB - West of exit 43 - All lanes Blocked". The report: DOT: Route 80 express lanes reopen in Parsippany, still expect delays | NJ.com

And from last night: Woman, 2 children injured in 4-car Route 80 crash Thursday, State Police say | NJ.com

And a few minutes ago: Route 80 express lanes closed due emergency construction | NJ.com

I live in this area too. (Been here for about 4 years.)

Let's just put it this way--I found driving from Essex County into midtown everyday via the Lincoln Tunnel, more pleasant and orderly than dealing with the CLOWN CONVENTION they've got going on with 287/80 in Morris County.

The driving I have to do right now in/around Jersey City is less of a headache and a risk to life, than 287/80 in Morris County.

If I had been more aware of what a giant PITA it is to get anywhere from here, it definitely would have factored into my decision to move here. I don't think it would have been a deal breaker, and I probably would have moved here anyway, but it also definitely would have been near the top of the CONS side of my list.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:47 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
I actually got an alert from @MCUrgent at 7:41 AM today: "MVA - Parsippany - Rt.80EB - West of exit 43 - All lanes Blocked". The report: DOT: Route 80 express lanes reopen in Parsippany, still expect delays | NJ.com

And from last night: Woman, 2 children injured in 4-car Route 80 crash Thursday, State Police say | NJ.com

And a few minutes ago: Route 80 express lanes closed due emergency construction | NJ.com

I live in this area too. (Been here for about 4 years.)

Let's just put it this way--I found driving from Essex County into midtown everyday via the Lincoln Tunnel, more pleasant and orderly than dealing with the CLOWN CONVENTION they've got going on with 287/80 in Morris County.

The driving I have to do right now in/around Jersey City is less of a headache and a risk to life, than 287/80 in Morris County.

If I had been more aware of what a giant PITA it is to get anywhere from here, it definitely would have factored into my decision to move here. I don't think it would have been a deal breaker, and I probably would have moved here anyway, but it also definitely would have been near the top of the CONS side of my list.

I agree completely. My commute went from an easy 35 minutes to 60-75 minutes Its completely out of hand. Had I known how crappy this commute would get, I would have thought twice about accepting this job.

The whole project was not even necessary in the first place and only got going because they got "free" money from the federal government.

The blatant disregard for the average persons time is disgusting. Millions and millions of man hours must have been lost from people sitting in this traffic by now.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:06 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
... The whole project was not even necessary in the first place and only got going because they got "free" money from the federal government.
The blatant disregard for the average persons time is disgusting. Millions and millions of man hours must have been lost from people sitting in this traffic by now.
"The blatant disregard for the average persons time is disgusting."
There you have it... and the aristocracy doesn't give a damn because we little people keep re-electing them regardless.
Maybe more Morris County mayors should have endorsed Christie for reelection! Highway-gate?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
It's the same everywhere there's winter, there's two seasons: winter and Road Construction.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:40 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
It's also worth noting that part of the traffic issues on a lot of NJ Highways are because a lot of the planned highways they were supposed to link with got killed or truncated.

NJ-24 has awful traffic because the highway that actually got built is missing much of what was supposed to be there. It wasn't supposed to dump entirely into I-287. It was supposed to keep going in a bypass around Morristown. It didn't get built, and so I-287 & NJ-24 are disasters around Morristown because of it.

NJ-24 was supposed to connect with the Eisenhower Parkway, which would have been a large interchange capable of handling a lot of traffic. It got partially built and then canceled, so instead everyone on NJ-24 jams up the JFK Parkway and interchanges never meant for the load they have to take, while there is a large right of way to the Parkway that goes unused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I remember 1989 when rte 78 finally opened to many promises that this would cure the east/west commuter woes.
The Eastern portions somewhat did that. It's smooth sailing from the 287 interchange (exit 29) all the way to Newark most of the time. The Western portion is bogged down with traffic going to/from 287.

And why are there so many people on 287? Because the Somerset Freeway never got built and 202/206 are disasters as a result.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
It's also worth noting that part of the traffic issues on a lot of NJ Highways are because a lot of the planned highways they were supposed to link with got killed or truncated.

And why are there so many people on 287? Because the Somerset Freeway never got built and 202/206 are disasters as a result.
Definitely right about the unbuilt I-95. That would have made a day and night difference,,,but it was dropped so long ago,,,I remember hearings about which routes it was going to take in the area around Mt Rose or Hopewell,,,that was back about 1974 or so. Nothing ever got built. Many people died on the backroads since then,,,,but oh well. With today's atmosphere and financials I doubt anything substantial will ever get built in many decades.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:05 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
I know, I know, there are a lot of them in NJ, as well as everywhere in the entire tri state area. The headache I am referring to is the one that commuters get as they commute through Morris Co on Rts 80, 287, 24, 280, and 80 daily. From the latest press release from the DOT is seems as the construction will continue well into 2015. Report: Big construction on Route 80, 287 will continue into 2015 | NJ.com

I have lived in this area for a long, long time and in fact I cannot recall a time when there was not some construction on either 80, 287 or 280 in Morris Co. Often there was construction on more than one highway at once, and several times it was occurring on all three at once. I probably should not admit this on a public forum, but I remember when they got the section of 287 to Montville completed and opened in 1973, (as a kid, I am not that old!) I remember what a fiasco the interchange of 287 and Rte 80 was at first, and the weekly horrible accidents where semi's kept jackknifing on the ramps. Shortly after the interchange was opened, they set about making changes and improvements to try to correct things. As it turned out these revisions were to happen over and over again, each as an attempt to finally correct the problems. How many time has the intersection been re-vamped now, is it 5 or 6 now? The interchange still stinks, and there are still semi's jackknifing, although thank god not nearly as often as they used to. As I write they are STILL re constructing the interchange trying to get it right, and making deck repairs in the area. I also remember when they finally completed the northernmost section connecting 287 all the way up past the NY state line in 1994. I remember 1989 when rte 78 finally opened to many promises that this would cure the east/west commuter woes. Clearly that cure never materialized. I also remember 1992 when rt 24 first opened. I remember it well because on my way home the first week the road was open, a deer ran into the side of my (then) new car and flipped up onto the hood/windshield nearly totaling the car and me in one fell swoop. We all were told rt 24 would make our commutes so much easier for all in Morris and Essex Counties and alleviate all that traffic congestion. Well, that certainly never happened. Anyone who drives these roads knows that these roads simply do not have the capacity needed for all that must use the roads daily. It is also clear that there is no land realistically available to build more infrastructure bisecting Northern NJ.

I guess we just have to accept that, sadly, no the construction will never end, and yes we will always have horrible traffic congestion.

KoalaNJ
(mini rant over, I promise)
What did you expect when they built all those roads out to the boondocks of NJ, nobody was going to use them?

Before I78 very few commuted from Hunterdon or Warren co. or Eastern PA into NJ or NYC.
NJ does not have a too few roads problem it has a too many people problem.

There are no solutions to NJ's overcrowded highways, you either put up with it or you move out of NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey