Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ex NJ Residents: Why did you leave NJ ?
College 3 8.11%
Work Related 12 32.43%
Family Related 4 10.81%
Retirement 5 13.51%
Just Cause I didn't like it 13 35.14%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:48 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by va_bank View Post
I spent last 5 years looking for a way out of NJ. I will never give up trying to leave.
So what is stopping you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Cute little video, but it doesn't support your earlier statement: "it has to do with foreigners coming to the USA and willing to work for much less money than the American workers that are being let go to make room for them"

You're sliding down the slope to protectionism, which does not end up accomplishing its goals.
No I am not sliding down the slope, I'm jumping right of the cliff.

Hiring cheap foreign labor adds to the bottom line for many companies and turns their millionaire investors into billionaire investors.

A college education in a good American college is very expensive but many graduates can't find a decent paying job because non American educated foreigners are willing to work for less pay.

Maybe you see nothing wrong with that but to me it is just BS.

No it is not the fault of the immigrants, can't blame them if somebody wants to pay them double what they can get in their own country.

Time to close the gates, we already have too many unemployed.

Everybody cries about the folks on welfare but when foreigners are willing to work for peanuts we will only increase the welfare roles.

Protectionism, bring it on.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post

Careful what you wish for. Controlling immigration is one thing. The path of protectionism has been shown to produce... uh... non-optimal results... to put it mildly.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:26 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:

Hiring cheap foreign labor adds to the bottom line for many companies and turns their millionaire investors into billionaire investors.

A college education in a good American college is very expensive but many graduates can't find a decent paying job because non American educated foreigners are willing to work for less pay.

No it is not the fault of the immigrants, can't blame them if somebody wants to pay them double what they can get in their own country.

Everybody cries about the folks on welfare but when foreigners are willing to work for peanuts we will only increase the welfare roles.

Labor supply and demand works best in a free market manner. Controlling supply will eventually counteract with profits, which in turn reduces investment by industries, and that will deal a blow to our economy.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Labor supply and demand works best in a free market manner. Controlling supply will eventually counteract with profits, which in turn reduces investment by industries, and that will deal a blow to our economy.
And just how has that free market system working out for many Americans both educated and uneducated.

When will people finally realize that there are just too many people in the world and the USA cannot save everybody?

Old 09-13-2014, 01:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Quote:
And just how has that free market system working out for many Americans both educated and uneducated.

When will people finally realize that there are just too many people in the world and the USA cannot save everybody?
Well, if India provided good workplace infrastructure and reasonable college education, I'd have stayed there.

The education system in India is CORRUPTED, STRESSFUL, and EXCESSIVELY COMPETITIVE compared to here. People at the workplace treat each other in a hierarchical manner, and engage in open caste discrimination. Most politicians there only care about looting money from the public into their pockets and do very little to improve the life of everyday indian people. People are all like sheep, and fear voicing their concerns to the government as many politicians have connections to vicious underground criminals. FINALLY, PEOPLE HAVE LOST HOPE FOR CHANGE TOWARDS THE BETTER.

Why should I have to live in a place with such censorship and fear. I love it here and will be a contributing member of the american society, just like all the immigrants before me.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 PM

293 posts, read 309,976 times
Quote:

Your post is really confusing. The problem is not legal immigration. Adi says he came legally, he works, and he likes America. He's not the problem. Even if he takes "your" job, all that means is he beat you out. It's not a job reserved for you. And if a foreigner was "willing to work for peanuts," that only points to how inflated our economy is. Ask yourself why it's so much cheaper to live in these other countries than in America. Here's a little hint: over-regulation, lawsuits, funding of government services and bureaucracies, minimum wage laws. So we make America non-competitive, then turn around and rant about the foreigners. How dumb is that? Outsourcing is actually healthy for America because it's showing you there's a problem. People who argue for protectionism are people who don't want to address the problem and just want to compound it.

The problem is actually illegal immigration, which we actually do need to address.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:08 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
Your post is really confusing. The problem is not legal immigration. Adi says he came legally, he works, and he likes America. He's not the problem. Even if he takes "your" job, all that means is he beat you out. It's not a job reserved for you. And if a foreigner was "willing to work for peanuts," that only points to how inflated our economy is. Ask yourself why it's so much cheaper to live in these other countries than in America. Here's a little hint: over-regulation, lawsuits, funding of government services and bureaucracies, minimum wage laws. So we make America non-competitive, then turn around and rant about the foreigners. How dumb is that? Outsourcing is actually healthy for America because it's showing you there's a problem. People who argue for protectionism are people who don't want to address the problem and just want to compound it.

The problem is actually illegal immigration, which we actually do need to address.
How about not hiring contractors who are much cheaper because they use illegals, that's a start.

I hope you will be understanding when your boss lays you off when you're 50 because the kid from China, India etc. is willing to do your job for 1/2 the wages.

I was lucky I got to make a decent living when companies still hired American workers because there was plenty of work. They even hired foreigners at the same wages but since they started outsourcing they don't need all the workers and they just hire the cheapest who can do the job.

It's not really affecting me now but I just feel bad for those Americans who pay a lot of money to go to college and all they can find is retail jobs at the mall.

People complain all the time about the high cost of living in NJ but these companies don't have to pay good wages because they have a cheap source of labor with foreign workers.

I retired and got out so your on your own but it ain't getting better in NJ.

Almost daily you see post on the NJ forum from people overseas who got hired in NY/NJ and they want cheap housing close to the city. If they were getting great pay why do they need cheap housing?

Old 09-13-2014, 06:50 PM

293 posts, read 309,976 times
Quote:
I hope you will be understanding when your boss lays you off when you're 50 because the kid from China, India etc. is willing to do your job for 1/2 the wages.
If a kid from China can do the job of a 50-year-old American, then that 50-year-old American is doing something wrong.

See, when American workers see people from overseas moving here to "take their jobs," what do they do? Nothing other than say "keep them out." How about taking less pay to keep your job? Absolutely not. OK, how about getting more skills? Nope. OK, so basically just do nothing other than pass a law to keep out some Chinese or Indian kid? Right. OK ...enjoy being unemployed!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:41 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboyo View Post
If a kid from China can do the job of a 50-year-old American, then that 50-year-old American is doing something wrong.

See, when American workers see people from overseas moving here to "take their jobs," what do they do? Nothing other than say "keep them out." How about taking less pay to keep your job? Absolutely not. OK, how about getting more skills? Nope. OK, so basically just do nothing other than pass a law to keep out some Chinese or Indian kid? Right. OK ...enjoy being unemployed!
Either you are a foreign born worker or you are totally clueless of what's happening to senior workers across corporate America.

Save as much money as you can now you'll be real lucky if your are still employed at 50. Foreign workers get old too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey