Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:01 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
I wouldn't completely count out NOVA just b/c you can't afford Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax.

Manassas, Nokesville, etc are still in northern VA and have easy access to the District - you just can't walk to the local Metro stop to get there. But you can drive the closest Metro station on Rte 66 and hop on. Or just drive your car in. Lots of companies have van pools from Manassas to the District, its still commuting distance. But there are lots of jobs in VA so that might not even be an issue for you...........
This is true. There are so many big companies in the area! And yes, moving further out from the cities immedately around the District is a good option.

That's an area I think of moving to, if/when I ever leave NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:24 AM

102 posts, read 162,028 times
Default thanks for your reply..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
I hear you on Albany. But there are some areas in that region that have really benefited from NY's attempt to create a "tech corridor" that has attracted some companies and investment.

Yes, we spent a fair amount of time up there in previous summers, and we were actually quite pleased with much of what we saw. We understand about the crime in downtown Albany area, but we weren't looking to reside in downtown Albany..The towns we looked at were the suburbs surrounding Albany; as well as some a bit further afield.

While I appreciate everyone's comments so far, I'm really looking for feedback from those who have spent some time in that area recently, at length. Both those who have moved from lower N.Y State and any who have relocated from other places to Upstate N.Y., and N.J transplants, in particular. Anyone who has moved from the NY/NY area to N.Y State, or to NOVA, please feel free to chime in too. Mainly, I'd like to hear from adults, and homeowners who have made the move, and their thoughts on differences in the regions, and their experience.

I recognize that some locations will have a different look and feel, and don't expect for things to be exactly like N.J. These are, after all, different places and regions. The funny thing is, the last time we were up in Albany I was not as moved by it as I was a few years ago. Maybe those years in N.J made me expect something different. Then again, we got there late and we kind of just zipped through the Loudonville, Latham areas, the last time we were there, and then dipped towards downtown Albany; but turned down another street away from it. Sadly, even on the edges of downtown Albany, we could see there was a vast disparity between people.

We also stopped over in the Ballston Spa area. We used to think that area had promise, and while the shops on the streets looked cute and great, some of the folks standing around on the streets looked, well, kind of vagrant-y (e.g. there was a Mother with her baby talking to some man on the sidewalk, and she and the baby both had no shoes on and the baby was in his diapers, standing rag tag with her on the street, he may have been one or two). I honestly don't like to use such a word to say something about a person, but it's really the only clear way to paint a picture of how it looked, unfortunately.

In fact, there were others on the streets there who also looked kind of, maybe, drugged a bit or vagrant-? yet the region seems nice and it's not what we'd call the ghetto or barrio in a city.

I think the recent quick drive through the region was not conclusive or comprehensive. We drove near a Price Chopper. We wanted to see where their local Whole Foods was, though we don't shop at Whole Foods much, we wanted to see. The local police non-emergency ended up directing us to some place in Latham that was not it.

As for New England, that has not really come up in our discussions. Presently, I'd say, for the most part, our focus and questions are on the noted regions :^)

I understand there are some depressed areas of N.Y State. We also know our time and travels in and around the Greater Albany and Schenectady/Saratoga Springs area gave us some encouragement about the possibility of a nice, well developed, more affordable metro region; outside of the very self-impressed, huffy-puffy Northern N.J area.

Which is, clearly, as I'm sure many here know, not the beginning, or end, of all worlds

('Though some may think so )

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 09-19-2014 at 10:32 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-19-2014, 10:46 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Saratoga Springs??? Clifton Park??? Malta?? South Glens Falls??? Think you may find more of what you want in Saratoga County.
Maybe the other side of Albany in the Catskills like Woodstock or Saugerties.

You know your budget and how far you're willing to commute, in any metro area outside of " very self impressed huffy puffy Northern NJ" things are just about the same only cheaper.

That's a first your description on NJ bolded above...too funny

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Default thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Person View Post
I wouldn't completely count out NOVA just b/c you can't afford Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax.

Manassas, Nokesville, etc are still in northern VA and have easy access to the District - you just can't walk to the local Metro stop to get there. But you can drive the closest Metro station on Rte 66 and hop on. Or just drive your car in. Lots of companies have van pools from Manassas to the District, its still commuting distance. But there are lots of jobs in VA so that might not even be an issue for you...........

Thank you!!! We may look into NOVA as a side possibility..

I really think the cost of living would be the main issue there re. NOVA, and, also, seems there are lots of pockets of crime. It appears, that there is a certain income level for some areas, which may or may not be particularly crime-y, but then a town or so away the areas are not so great?

We've read a lot of statistics about these areas, including details about cost of living, all kinds of things.
It's possible, at this point, a high cost of living region, expressly high cost so as to, kind of somehow, keep the neighborhood more safe, also prevents perfectly law abiding families from living there, because they are challenged by the cost of living.

We've seen this dynamic in our research, but I don't want to go off on a tangent :^) Suffice to say, we don't know a ton about NOVA, except that the weather is lovely; but, though it is an outside possibility, we'd need convincing as to making it a choice. Otherwise, we might just be moving to a place like New Jersey, with better weather :^)

Old 09-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Default :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Saratoga Springs??? Clifton Park??? Malta?? South Glens Falls??? Think you may find more of what you want in Saratoga County.
Maybe the other side of Albany in the Catskills like Woodstock or Saugerties.

You know your budget and how far you're willing to commute, in any metro area outside of " very self impressed huffy puffy Northern NJ" things are just about the same only cheaper.

Yes!! Those were the places we saw that we really liked..
In, about, uhm, 2002-2005/6.
Shortly after that we found our little house in N.J., and, well, then the N.J economy flatline..
Etc,. etc.

Woodstock was very groovy. But not very groovy for prices, unfortunately..

Quote:

You know your budget and how far you're willing to commute, in any metro area
outside of " very self impressed huffy puffy Northern NJ" things are just
about the same only cheaper.

And you know what? I don't truly feel that, not in my heart of hearts..
It just sort of feels that way, after years of being on the south-side of it in a blah economy, so to speak..

I LOVE New Jersey..from my heart..

This is the place I grew up in, and had all the most important of my life experiences, (thus far..).. :^)

But, let's face it, for some of us, N.J has changed..

(I'll never forget the day I saw them building "The Clifton Commons.." *sighs*..)

In any case..

There's life outside of New Jersey..

Which, clearly, obviously..

yaknowhatimtawkinabout?

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 09-19-2014 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
For an overview, and more, of Pike County and neighboring areas in PA, start with the "NEPA" forum on C-D. You'll find many opinions on similar subjects (look at some older posts of course, stuff a few years old is also helpful). Then, if still interested, ask for more info. Doing this will get you opinions...some pretty strong...on both sides and in the middle. Happy hunting

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...-pennsylvania/

Last edited by jimazee; 09-19-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
For an overview, and more, of Pike County and neighboring areas in PA, start with the "NEPA" forum on C-D. You'll find many opinions on similar subjects (look at some older posts of course, stuff a few years old is also helpful). Then, if still interested, ask for more info. Doing this will get you opinions...some pretty strong one...on both sides and in the middle. Happy hunting

agree. while some ex NJ residents living in his target areas might find this thread, seems like much better chance of getting input from the applicable PA, NY or VA board.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:13 PM

Default thank you!:^) will do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
For an overview, and more, of Pike County and neighboring areas in PA, start with the "NEPA" forum on C-D. You'll find many opinions on similar subjects (look at some older posts of course, stuff a few years old is also helpful). Then, if still interested, ask for more info. Doing this will get you opinions...some pretty strong one...on both sides and in the middle. Happy hunting

thank you!:^) will do..

Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM

Default thank you, maybe..

Quote:
agree. while some ex NJ residents living in his target areas might find this thread, seems like much better chance of getting input from the applicable PA, NY or VA board.

Thank you, ok, maybe..

I am new to this forum, my hope was/is to get as broad feedback as possible, and also have feedback from any from NJ who may have moved and see my post there..

btw, re. "his" target areas, I'm a girl

but thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Last edited by hears_where_the_story; 09-19-2014 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-19-2014, 12:37 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Many of the posters in NEPA forum ARE transplants from NJ/NY etc. Some stayed, some left, some never moved after looking. These are 'balanced' by some people who gre up and never left the area watching it evolve over decades. The mix provides some balance ... it helps to know who is who when reviewing these comments.

A few more things to be aware of. The NEPA forum covers a wide geographic area with a broad assortment of towns/cities and people... getting work is a very high priority and not easy. It is best to have excellent prospects, actually a real job, before you take a chance there. Many well educated people leave seeking better employment. Local contacts are influential in hiring more than in some others areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey