Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,358 times

Advertisements

this question is on behalf of my gf, who is currently a teacher in NY state. she has a MEd from Montclair as well as 4 years of experience. i believe she also has special-ed credentials.

she'd be looking to teach in a decent, North NJ elementary school preferably 3rd grade and under.

is it still extremely tough to find these jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Yes

Old 10-16-2014, 12:45 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times
It's not impossible, especially if she has a special ed cert. The supervisor that hired my wife at her current job told her that the fact that she had the cert (plus a Masters in writing) and other candidates didn't was a huge part of their decision. She does not currently teach special ed, but they know that they can shift her to that if need be rather than having to hire again.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:35 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
It's not impossible, especially if she has a special ed cert. The supervisor that hired my wife at her current job told her that the fact that she had the cert (plus a Masters in writing) and other candidates didn't was a huge part of their decision. She does not currently teach special ed, but they know that they can shift her to that if need be rather than having to hire again.
glad to hear that

Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times
Just like in business it's all about who you know. I know someone that got hired for a school position...there were 75 other applicants and he got hired because a relative also worked in the same district. Another one of my teacher friends agreed there is a lot of nepotism in the schools.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,981,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Just like in business it's all about who you know. I know someone that got hired for a school position...there were 75 other applicants and he got hired because a relative also worked in the same district. Another one of my teacher friends agreed there is a lot of nepotism in the schools.
Not saying it doesn't happen, because it certainly does, but it's no reason not to apply. Again, the district where my wife is currently working she didn't know anyone from Adam and got the job strictly based on qualifications. People act like teaching jobs in this state are much tougher to get than they are. There are 600+ districts and teachers retire or leave every year.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:07 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Not saying it doesn't happen, because it certainly does, but it's no reason not to apply. Again, the district where my wife is currently working she didn't know anyone from Adam and got the job strictly based on qualifications. People act like teaching jobs in this state are much tougher to get than they are. There are 600+ districts and teachers retire or leave every year.
Exactly, go ahead and apply and do what you can. Applying for a job has a very low time/cost investment. I also think as with business too, it's best if you can find some way to make a face-to-face contact.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 AM

565 posts, read 722,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefastlife View Post
this question is on behalf of my gf, who is currently a teacher in NY state. she has a MEd from Montclair as well as 4 years of experience. i believe she also has special-ed credentials.

she'd be looking to teach in a decent, North NJ elementary school preferably 3rd grade and under.

is it still extremely tough to find these jobs?

It is not as hard as people say, *if* you have experience. 4 years should be plenty. I moved here from another state and did not even have my NJ teaching cert yet (I'd applied, but it hadn't been processed), and I got a full time job within two weeks of sending out resumes. I applied to probably 10 places that had open positions in my certification areas, got 3 callbacks within days (1 prestigious private school in Manhattan, 2 good public schools in Bergen county), had 2 interviews and 1 job offer. For reference, I also have a master's degree in my field and had 9 years experience in another state at the time.

I think it's mostly very hard for teachers with no experience--you usually have to sub, work your way up to a maternity leave replacement and then hope to get a full time job-- unless you know someone in a school district.

What your GF needs to do is be proactive. Apply with the district online, but also email her resume and cover letter directly to the appropriate principal. If she doesn't hear back within a week or two, follow up with a polite email.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:39 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,569 times
My D was hired by one district did not like the department manager so she left after the year was completed. She was hired by another district immediately. She had no connections in either district although she has relatives that are teachers. Neither district would have known that.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:58 AM

46 posts, read 56,004 times
Three years ago our DS searched for a public teaching job in NJ. He had a masters in his field but no experience. Excellent references; no connections. Over two months he applied online to many, many openings and was called for several first interviews and a few second round ones.
He ended up accepting a PT position in a great district that morphed into FT after 6 months.
He is still there and very happy. Sometimes its not a straight line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: