Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:57 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticBlast View Post
Find a cure for the disease not tone down the symptoms. If the problem is traffic, improve the infrastructure.

By closing shops on Sunday, you are only making the traffic even worse on Saturdays! New York city gets a lot more traffic than Bergen County. That does not mean they go about closing malls every Sunday.

People go to church all over the world with or without traffic. Using that as an excuse is just lame. Besides not every one in Bergen County goes to Church on Sunday.
The citizens of Bergen county remain free to make the laws which govern them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 01:40 PM

110 posts, read 181,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Just because you have a law does not mean that majority of Bergen county residents are happy with it. Even though I live in Bergen county, I can't vote because I am not a US Citizen. (Uncle Sam is happy to take my share of taxes though. FWIW I am not complaining and understand the reasons behind it).

Even if I am able to vote, I probably wont be taking a day off from work just to vote on this nonsense. Currently, it is just one of the factors that I do not like but there are many other things that I do like. So it is a compromise of sorts... If and when it becomes unbearable, I will move to a place that does not follow the blue laws (which, FYI is 20 counties out of 21 in NJ).

If you want some number pron ...
There are 434 likes for the facebook group "We support the amazing Blue Laws of Bergen County, NJ" who support the blue laws. There are 1675 likes for "Modernize Bergen County New Jersey: Repeal the Blue Laws" who opposes it.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:05 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,148,203 times
Quote:
My guess is the majority of people that support the blue laws do so because that's just the way things have always been. It gives them a sense of power and exclusivity that they are "protecting" their county. Anyone that lives in Bergen County would know back roads to avoid the alleged traffic jams anyway.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:40 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I completely agree. For most people (especially those with full time jobs and kids), the weekend is the only time to get any kind of shopping or errands done. So if stores are closed on Sundays then you're just exacerbating the problem on Saturdays. How long have the blue laws actually been in effect? Was traffic really that bad on Sundays or are the blue laws based solely on the conjecture that Sunday traffic would be really bad?
That's a good question. Traffic was not the original reason for the blue laws. They were in effect in my childhood and I was born in 1958. Garden State Plaza was a small, open shopping center and neither Paramus Park nor Riverside Mall were built.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Just because you have a law does not mean that majority of Bergen county residents are happy with it. Even though I live in Bergen county, I can't vote because I am not a US Citizen. (Uncle Sam is happy to take my share of taxes though. FWIW I am not complaining and understand the reasons behind it).

Even if I am able to vote, I probably wont be taking a day off from work just to vote on this nonsense. Currently, it is just one of the factors that I do not like but there are many other things that I do like. So it is a compromise of sorts... If and when it becomes unbearable, I will move to a place that does not follow the blue laws (which, FYI is 20 counties out of 21 in NJ).

There are 434 likes for the facebook group "We support the amazing Blue Laws of Bergen County, NJ" who support the blue laws. There are 1675 likes for "Modernize Bergen County New Jersey: Repeal the Blue Laws" who opposes it.

Just FYI, if you were a citizen and chose not to vote, it's really hard to sympathize with your complaints. And in case you didn't know, polls are generally open late enough so that no one has to take off from work to vote.

And selective facebook "likes" is dubious at best and certainly is not how laws are changed.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:14 PM

380 posts, read 607,958 times
Quote:

As you said yourself, you have the choice to not live or shop in Bergen County. Nobody is forcing you to be there. This is why I can't understand complaints about laws the people of Bergen have chose.

Fyi, not everybody is on Facebook and not everyone on Facebook is a voter.

Old 12-27-2014, 06:28 PM

110 posts, read 181,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmc400 View Post
Fyi, not everybody is on Facebook and not everyone on Facebook is a voter.
Quote:
And selective facebook "likes" is dubious at best and certainly is not how laws are changed.
Suuuuurrrrrre! I am completely aware of the drawbacks of Facebook voting mechanism and not everyone and their mother being a facebook user. I am also aware of how laws are made/amended and that it has nothing to do with FB polls! Duh!

Think of it more as "one" poll rather than "the" poll. If you think it does not qualify even for that... then we agree to disagree and I rest my case.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Suuuuurrrrrre! I am completely aware of the drawbacks of Facebook voting mechanism and not everyone and their mother being a facebook user. I am also aware of how laws are made/amended and that it has nothing to do with FB polls! Duh!

Think of it more as "one" poll rather than "the" poll. If you think it does not qualify even for that... then we agree to disagree and I rest my case.
Some residents of Bergen would like the blue laws ended. OK, not sure we needed any confirmation to know that. Until a referendum is passed to make the change, the will of the people (and law of the county) remains in place.

Sorry if I underestimated your understanding of the mechanics of how laws work soince you appeared to have some confusion about hoping that non-citizens might be allowed to vote and the need to take a day off to vote.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Find a cure for the disease not tone down the symptoms. If the problem is traffic, improve the infrastructure.

By closing shops on Sunday, you are only making the traffic even worse on Saturdays! New York city gets a lot more traffic than Bergen County. That does not mean they go about closing malls every Sunday.

People go to church all over the world with or without traffic. Using that as an excuse is just lame. Besides not every one in Bergen County goes to Church on Sunday.
Man the traffic around Garden State Plaza Mall today was horrendous. I thought before X-mas was bad, after X-mas was equally bad. That's one of the problems with Bergen is that people all rush out to get their shopping done on Saturday.

The problem with GSP Mall is the roads that leads in/out of mall are choke points. Poor road designs and not enough parking spots. This is the only Mall in NJ that I have to camp out for 10-30mins for a decent parking spots.

Which is why I normally go to Bridgewater Mall, less crowded, less noisy, and easier parking.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:31 AM

276 posts, read 330,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Man the traffic around Garden State Plaza Mall today was horrendous. I thought before X-mas was bad, after X-mas was equally bad. That's one of the problems with Bergen is that people all rush out to get their shopping done on Saturday.

The problem with GSP Mall is the roads that leads in/out of mall are choke points. Poor road designs and not enough parking spots. This is the only Mall in NJ that I have to camp out for 10-30mins for a decent parking spots.

Which is why I normally go to Bridgewater Mall, less crowded, less noisy, and easier parking.
The problem is that many people from Upstate N.Y./NYC and Passaic/Hudson County come to Paramus to shop because they like the malls and shopping; while New Yorkers come mainly to escape paying sales tax. Most shoppers are not from Bergen County itself on any random day.

Actually Garden State Plaza recently opened a new 5-level parking garage; there is always plenty of empty spots if people are willing to walk few extra steps

Best time to avoid the crowd is early on weekdays. Friday afternoon - Saturday is the worst, and during holidays and school breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey