Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 01:16 AM

6 posts, read 15,256 times

Advertisements

I am a male in early 30's moving to Jersey City first week of next month. I am a Computer Engineer and have a decent job. I have found a lot of options to rent a 1/2 bedroom apartment with affordable rent. My questions is, how safe the area is between Kennedy Blvd and Summit and how long would it take to get to PATH train to NYC if you are staying close to Kennedy Blvd. Any other recommendations in Journal Square would also be appreciated. I am very social and would like to stay in the area where you could just go for a walk or come home after 10 pm without having a fear of getting robbed. I don't know much about Jersey city and If anyone could help then I will be greatly thankful. I could even buy you a dinner/lunch at a nice restaurant (just a Southern way of saying thank you for your help and time).
Since I am moving from another state, I am not trying to pay high rent at the beginning. I am trying to sign a 6 months lease so I could get familiar with the area and see how much rent I could actually afford. Journal Square seems nice and fairly flexible with short term lease.

Be Happy and Make Happy
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 08:03 AM

110 posts, read 181,199 times
One of my friends used to live near Summit Ave and got beaten up once while walking home from the PATH station at night. He was not robbed or anything... just couple of random guys game out of nowhere, beat him up and left. Considering that it is the only data point I have I will not recommend anything in Journal square. If you can afford, go some where else.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM

300 posts, read 913,920 times
Avoid sip avenue area. Actually for that matter avoid most of the areas around js except maybe around Newark ave. with lot of indian population there, it is lot safer and walkable to js.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:36 PM

516 posts, read 1,005,731 times
What's wrong w/ the Sip Ave area? I'm living in the area and it is perfectly safe! The area is bit run down and not pleasant looking but in all the time I've lived here, nobody's scratched my car, mugged me, robbed my house, etc. I often take my toddler son to the park and no one's swiped his stroller or tricycle when we're on the slides. I've walked around after 10pm and JFK is very well lit.

Anyways, signing a 6 month lease is a great idea to get a feel of the area, esp if you're used to friendly Southern neighbors. People in the area generally mind their own business so you won't see your neighbors much. Sip Ave between JFK and Summit is a great block, super convenient to the PATH (there is act. a side bus entrance on Sip Ave, so you literally cross the street during winter months). As in many urban areas, the seediness can change block by block. PM the address you're looking at and your budget/comfort level and maybe I can give you more specific advice?

Edit: Forgot to answer the commute question. JSQ-WTC is about 15 minutes on weekdays, 20-25 minutes on weekends if you time it well. Signal work just ended so 24/7 service resumes. (It was shut down on weekends and a subsidized $2.50 ferry to WTC ran instead). JSQ-33rd is about 20 minutes on weekdays, 30+ minutes nights and weekends due to stop at Hoboken.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 PM

Thank you all for your help and very useful advices. I have been looking for a decent apartment in this area to sign a lease and i was able to find two 2 bedroom apartments.
Option 1 is on Lincoln Street between Summit Ave and Central Ave close to Kennedy Blvd,
and option 2 is on Newark Ave close/next to Tonnelle Ave. I think Newark Ave will be closer and walkable to JS path station ? Do you think both areas are relatively safe ? Any suggestions will be highly appreciated ..

Thank you

Last edited by Live_Life; 12-28-2014 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Lincoln street is in the Heights, that's about a 20 minute walk. Again, safe are but not very commuter friendly. Option 2 is the better out of the two choices.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 AM

207 posts, read 513,868 times
There is a Jitney in the Heights that goes to JSQ. But Newark Ave is much closer

Old 12-30-2014, 01:27 AM

I'm leaning more towards Newark Ave, any idea how long will it take to get to Time Square if I take JSQ path ? Should I consider taking cab omw back to Newark Ave from Manhattan after midnight ? Y'all know how much cab ride would cost during weekend nights ?

Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

It's fixed rate, not metered, once you go out of the boroughs. They'll pull out a little book and look up the rate to Jersey City. I think it's about $50? However, some of my friends have had success negotiating with the cab driver before getting in and gotten it for as low as $40. My coworkers are big Uber fans now and say it's a lot cheaper to Uber, though I don't know the price.

I used to work by the M&M store in Times Square. Door to door was 42 minutes on weekdays if I walked. About 36 minutes if I took the NRW line and timed it well. It took me about 7 minutes to walk to the PATH station from my apt, so YMMV.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:31 PM

207 posts, read 513,868 times
I would Google Map it. They have ETA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey