Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 03:06 PM

102 posts, read 162,093 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Months ago I posted on these forums about our family possibly leaving New Jersey.

While it is possible many who read the Jersey threads still live in NJ, I am interested in hearing from those who have moved out. Or, those who are considering it, (and I mean strongly considering, not like a passing occasional thought about retiring somewhere else, or something; but about really leaving New Jersey.)

I have read many of the threads here, and I have heard both sides of the story. There are those who left and are glad they did, but might have mixed feelings, but felt it was for the best. There are those few who left and came back to NJ because they felt they were missing something by leaving. Finally, there are those who are really glad they left, have no intention of ever coming back, and aren't even remotely sentimental about good times in the Garden State.

Just for the sake of a general, informal query to people reading here, where do you fall?

Are you a long time resident who's ready to leave NJ? Are you glad to flee? Any of your feedback about life in the Garden State, the good, bad, and not-so-good is valued feedback; as it's more information which can help us with an important decision, which may well be based on, yes!,
leaving New Jersey..

Also, it you'd care to share what other states you've found more interesting choices, (as opposed to, say, staying in New Jersey), please feel free to share that as well.

p.s. This question does not have its basis on Winter weather conditions or a concern of that sort. I will simply say we are strongly considering leaving the state. It would be great to hear some of your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,193,806 times
Twenty five year NJ resident. Just purchased home in FL last year on the west coast. Currently have both homes. I'll give you pros and cons with FL since we've been in FL long enough to compare.

NJ Pro: Better salaries, better job opportunities (there are actually industries in NJ- pharma, financial and you are right next door to NYC), generally better education, more diverse (economically and culturally), better services (if you need gov't assistance or your child needs special ed, FL is NOT the state to go to), better summers

NJ Con: Higher property taxes, more crowded, weather- snow, cold, health insurance costs very high, utilities very high

FL Pro: weather, slower pace of life, lower cost of living (no state income tax, lower property taxes, lower electric), services cost less (hair cut, lawn care, home repair), overall cleaner roads and better maintained roads, cheaper health insurance if you're paying for your own. I am not aware of any state mandated "affordable housing" (COAH) in FL. The neighborhoods seem somewhat homogenous.

FL Con: wages suck (no industry, only tourism and health care), lots of service jobs pay just a little higher than min wage, higher fees (to make up for no state income tax), higher car and home insurance. There are some good schools in FL but you have to research carefully.

Food and gas costs are about the same. Sales tax is 7% in both states.

We will probably leave NJ in the next few years as we are spending more and more time in FL and the cost of maintaining the NJ house for 2-4 months a year will not be worth keeping it.

We left Long Island 25 years ago to come to NJ and never regretted it. If we decide to leave NJ, I'm sure everything will work out fine. We've already made more friends in FL in 2 years than we had in 25 years in NJ. A lot of that is due to the fact that you are outside all of the time and we are no longer working.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM

102 posts, read 162,093 times
Great feedback!

Thanks so much!!!

(And best with you and yours transition)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey