Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 09:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,856 times

Advertisements

Rents are cheaper compared to Brooklyn and Hoboken. It's very easy to walk anywhere in this town. There's a ton of commercial space ( possible future boutiques, cafes, galleries.) You can be in Manhattan in a relatively short amount of time. The views are great especially from some of the building rooftops. Because WNY is perched on a cliff you can get a pretty cool view of the city or of a sunset. Lots of potential for some cool rooftop spaces. So my question to you: Is West New York destined for gentrification or not? And if so , why hasn't it happened already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 09:33 AM

882 posts, read 1,669,907 times
In the long-term? Probably, as all of Hudson County becomes more and more integrated and developed. Why hasn't it happened yet? Mainly because Journal Square's gentrification is just getting going. Affordability, PATH access, and proximity to waterfront JC make JSQ the main target for development right now. Once Jersey City is more fully gentrified, I think' you'll see the rest of Hudson County follow eventually.

I'd also argue that many towns in North Jersey offer similar qualities (walkable downtown, ample commercial space, mass-transit access to NYC), and not all of them can develop at once.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,175 times
Well, you can split up WNY into three parts basically.

River road already has been gentrified and there's always been money and a solid middle-class population on and near Boulevard East. The only place really left to gentrify is the interior, and eh, I don't see that changing tremendously. If and when new immigration from Latin America drops off either a new immigrant group will move in or if not then the place will slowly become higher income as the current residents establish themselves more and more and fresh lower-income immigrants stop arriving in bulk, but I don't see the sharp change of the current population being replaced wholesale that you do in Brooklyn and JC/Hoboken. Also, above the cliffs it's pretty universally built up -- I don't know where you'd even put new condo buildings or whatever.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:05 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,183 times
Transporation is answer you are looking for. Reason why certain parts of Brooklyn became gentrified quickly (think DUMBO, Downtown Brooklyn) and still is gentrifying (think Bushwick) is because of easy/fast access to city via MTA. Parts of Brooklyn that doesn't have such access (think Red Hook) is taking much longer to gentrify.

This applies to NJ as well and its why JC is booming due to Path. Next stop for full blown gentrification train is areas along Path train, JSQ area and Newark. Not surrounding towns by tunnel or JC/Hoboken like WNY, Union City, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey