Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 03:35 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,787 times

Advertisements

ok, so i viewed an apartment today, so has another tenant which has section 8. The landlord does not accept section 8, however at her request, he's applying for certification? anyway, the initial inspection is next week.. If he passes, she gets the apartment. I've seen things that he needs to fix , such as falling closet door, light fixtures( not cgi), peeling linoleum which i'm sure he will do.. My question is, this apartment set up is weird.. plenty rooms, not exactly railroad, but one of the rooms does not have windows. This room can either be a living room or bedroom.. none of the rooms have any doors either.. will these issues fail him? i've looked online and HUD requires that each living room/bedroom have at least one window? This is for the initial inspection. This at least one window requirement applies to Section 8 or HUD? I need answers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 07:00 PM

1,302 posts, read 4,573,919 times
Last time I checked all landlords have to accept section 8 in NJ. It is a state law unless they changed it. A room does have to include a window to be considered a room. Also in some counties it also has to have a closet as well.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:56 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,866,616 times
A bedroom is defined as a room with a window and a closet.

And as for what will pass the inspection, nobody here can tell you. It's always up to the inspector, which can even vary within a town.

Old 02-11-2015, 03:05 PM

625 posts, read 797,146 times
Are you sure landlords have to accept?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 1,667 times
To my knowledge there is no requirement as a landlord to accept Section 8

Old 02-12-2015, 05:29 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,661,915 times
Voluntary although some larger cities made it mandatory. In New Jersey, when an existing tenant becomes eligible for Section 8 help, the landlord may not refuse to accept Section 8 money. If you live in one of these states, your landlord’s refusal is against the law. -

See more at: Landlords Forced to Accept Section 8 Addendum to lease agreement

Quote:
If you wish to rent to Section 8 Voucher holders, you should inform the local Housing Authority of the availability of your property and also indicate in your advertising that you welcome Section 8 Voucher holders. Ultimately, it is the voucher holder's decision whether or not to rent your property. Of course, as the landlord, you would screen the Section 8 voucher holder just as you would any other prospective tenant.
Landlords/U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

Old 02-16-2015, 06:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
Off topic, many landlords prefer section8 as its almost guaranteed they get paid every month no matter what. But it tends to breed slumlords. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey