Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 07:25 AM

224 posts, read 247,269 times

Advertisements

I am going to an open house tomorrow in Union NJ how is this town? There seems to be a lot of stores nearby like costco best buy etc. Which is great. How is it in the winter do they clean up the snow off of the roads quick enough or at all? I checked the commute to the city didn't seem that bad from what I've seen on google maps. I will be commuting to W 42nd street my wife will be commuting to Park Ave S 17th st
I have checked the schools why is it that schools only go from K-4th? I do not see any schools in the district that goes up to 5th grade. The home does not have a school that has 5th grade how does that work? I see K-4 then I see 6-8. I did see one school that is K-5 but it didn't seem to be in this homes zone.

Last edited by jasonbondone; 07-30-2016 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: more detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 09:40 AM

67 posts, read 91,940 times
I cant help much with commute as i drive to Somerset County, someone else could fill you in on the commuting stuff. I can give some school info. I've been living here for about 10 years now. Schools are assigned by neighborhood so if you look on the district site under registration you can see what school would be assigned to your particular street. Schools go from K-4 (you want to buy for Washington School) then all 5th graders in town to to Central 5 school. Once done there they are then sent to either Burnett or Kawameeh Middle (the better of the 2) then to the high school. It's a pretty big town & schools are average. I grew up in Newark so they are a step above that if your concerned about kids. Ppl say the schools were a lot better, my kids have special needs & the district has been great for them so far. You do not want to buy in the Vauxhall area, If something is going to happen in town it usually happens in that area. Snow removal was bad last year & lots of ppl in the community were complaining but i think most towns had problems with removal last year due to all the snow.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINMOMMA2010 View Post
I cant help much with commute as i drive to Somerset County, someone else could fill you in on the commuting stuff. I can give some school info. I've been living here for about 10 years now. Schools are assigned by neighborhood so if you look on the district site under registration you can see what school would be assigned to your particular street. Schools go from K-4 (you want to buy for Washington School) then all 5th graders in town to to Central 5 school. Once done there they are then sent to either Burnett or Kawameeh Middle (the better of the 2) then to the high school. It's a pretty big town & schools are average. I grew up in Newark so they are a step above that if your concerned about kids. Ppl say the schools were a lot better, my kids have special needs & the district has been great for them so far. You do not want to buy in the Vauxhall area, If something is going to happen in town it usually happens in that area. Snow removal was bad last year & lots of ppl in the community were complaining but i think most towns had problems with removal last year due to all the snow.
Thanks for the info. The home is near the High School but closer to Hannah Caldwell Elementary. Is that a good area? You said if anything is going to happen it usually happens in the Vauxhall area. On the map it shows that area is after the I-78 Express.
What do you mean "you want to buy for Washington School"?
Hannah is the zoned PK-4 and Burnet seems to be the zoned 6-8 school.

As for the bus I would walk 5 minutes to the 114 Bus on Morris Ave at Woolley Ave to the Port Authority Bus Terminal NYC.
When there is snow does the bus run are they at least cleaning the main streets? being 5 minutes from the bus helps a lot I would not be stuck at home.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:10 PM

That area is nice. Burnet ave can get busy during rush hrs because high school is in area. Hannah is a nice school. The Washington & Kawameeh school get the better test scores according to ppl in town. Yes the Vauxhall area has its share of crime. It's not Newark or Irvington but it's just not nice looking on that side of town either. Most homes in that area are multifamily, close together & kinda old looking on outside. But you have Target, Whole foods & Best Buy on that side town. Yes Morris ave is cleared, it's an major outlet. There is also a shuttle bus that does pickup/drop off to train station but our line only goes newark Penn, you would need transfer.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:27 PM

The home is closer to the Costco and the other Best Buy there's also a Walmart farther down. So it should be safe in the Target Whole foods area during the day correct?
Also for the Washington & Kawameeh school would I be able to send my son there? Or is it only zoned?

Old 07-30-2016, 01:36 PM

Schools are zoned. Yes the area is safe during the day & evening. The area nearby Costco is very nice. I think you will like that area. There is a block on that side of town that side of town that hosts a really great Halloween block party. It's a lot of fun. Union is what you make of it, there are lifers in the town & lots new families. It's very diverse. The downtown isn't great but has few good places. There is also a trader jo's a few blocks from the whole foods in Millburn.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:18 PM

Since schools are zoned do they have a bus to pick up and drop off? After school programs, lunch bfast do they charge for after school program, lunch breakfast? What time does breakfast start meaning what is the earliest I can drop him off? I will call the school but hoping for an answer since its the weekend thanks.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:24 PM

Got the answer for the school bus. Looked it up on the site it says must live 1.5 miles K-5 2 miles for 6-8 and 2.5 miles for 9-12. The home is less than a mile from each of the schools. So no bus. But I still need start time and breakfast time. plus after school programs at the school if any and cost? And still need an answer about the Washington school. Can you pay to get into that school if you're not zoned? Is that what you meant by buy for Washington? Thanks

Old 07-30-2016, 02:28 PM

No I meant you need to buy in that area to go to that school. Most ppl only look in that area making homes little more expensive on that side of town. There is before & after care at the schools provided by ymca. I believe that is on individual school website.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINMOMMA2010 View Post
No I meant you need to buy in that area to go to that school. Most ppl only look in that area making homes little more expensive on that side of town. There is before & after care at the schools provided by ymca. I believe that is onot individual school website.
I found the start time for the school its 8:45 and I just found the YMCA and Boys & Girls Club morning/After school program. I will have to call for price thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey