Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 2,744 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a young family of four with Russian-Jewish background. Kids are 10 and 8 (will be in 5th and 3rd grades in September). Both my husband and I work in Manhattan. We are looking for the right town with the following important factors to us (listed in order of importance)

1. Great schools without snootiness and unreasonable competition
2. Afterschool options (we get home around 7:30-8PM)
3. Reasonable commute (door to door within 1hr20min) Both work Midtown. So thinking train ride cannot be more than 45 min.

We will be renting at first.

thanks in advance for advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:09 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,317,828 times
Addressing the points on the sticky at the top of the page would enable us to help you more: Questions For Future and Potential Residents
What is your budget?

That said, if living near others with Russian ethnicity is important to you, consider Millburn, Fair Lawn, Springfield, Livingston, Short Hills, Tenafly, or Fort Lee. These towns are all at least 7% Russian and all meet your commuting parameter.

Now to narrow that down to a short list of "without snootiness and unreasonable competition," begin with Fair Lawn and Springfield. More so, both have sizable Jewish populations.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:11 AM

88,623 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla0925 View Post
Hello,

We are a young family of four with Russian-Jewish background. Kids are 10 and 8 (will be in 5th and 3rd grades in September). Both my husband and I work in Manhattan. We are looking for the right town with the following important factors to us (listed in order of importance)

1. Great schools without snootiness and unreasonable competition
2. Afterschool options (we get home around 7:30-8PM)
3. Reasonable commute (door to door within 1hr20min) Both work Midtown. So thinking train ride cannot be more than 45 min.

We will be renting at first.

thanks in advance for advice.
Fair Lawn comes first to mind. Russian/Jewish community, good commute by train, but for midtown you have to switch trains at Secaucus. Not a big deal. There's also express bus service to the PABT.

You would have to look into the aftercare options, but it's a very family-oriented town, so I think you'll find something, perhaps through one of the synagogues.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:46 AM

5 posts, read 4,361 times
Readington, and pretty much most of Hunterdon County, meets your needs in terms of commute, family-oriented residents, and incredible schools. My colleague is Russian-Jewish and lives 5 minutes down the road and loves it here as well. Where we live in Readington, it is about 8 minutes from the train station and that goes right into NY Penn Station, or you can get onto I-78 (10 minutes from our house) and that will go right into the Holland Tunnel after a 60 minute drive. Property taxes are very reasonable here but get worse the further east you go from here. At a market value close to $1M, we pay $18,000 in property taxes, but that will get into the high $20,000 to low $30,000 the further east you travel.

Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 AM

728 posts, read 1,966,457 times
Fair Lawn.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:01 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,782,544 times
Hard to answer without knowing your budget

Old 06-06-2016, 05:17 AM

255 posts, read 456,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJResident1977 View Post
Readington, and pretty much most of Hunterdon County, meets your needs in terms of commute, family-oriented residents, and incredible schools. My colleague is Russian-Jewish and lives 5 minutes down the road and loves it here as well. Where we live in Readington, it is about 8 minutes from the train station and that goes right into NY Penn Station, or you can get onto I-78 (10 minutes from our house) and that will go right into the Holland Tunnel after a 60 minute drive. Property taxes are very reasonable here but get worse the further east you go from here. At a market value close to $1M, we pay $18,000 in property taxes, but that will get into the high $20,000 to low $30,000 the further east you travel.
Good luck having a door to door commute of 1:20 from the wilds of Hunterdon County.

Old 06-06-2016, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 2,744 times
thank you all for your recommendations. Fair Lawn and Fort Lee do seem to have good elementary and middle schools, but for high schools, they are not rated as high as other suggestions (Short Hills and Livingston).

For some that asked about budget - it is not an issue. Main concern is schools and commute.

Can someone please opine on the difference in schools in say Livingston vs Fair Lawn/Fort Lee? I hear Fair Lawn and Fort Lee recommended often but the grading of schools does not support the the recommendation.

thanks as always!

Old 06-06-2016, 07:29 AM

255 posts, read 456,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alla0925 View Post

For some that asked about budget - it is not an issue.

If it's "not an issue", hell just buy a swanky pad in Manhattan and send the kids to private school. Then no commute to deal with

Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM

565 posts, read 723,188 times
Budget would help, but if you don't want "snootiness", I really like Rutherford, East Rutherford (more up and coming), Montclair and Maplewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey