Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 01:13 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,726,676 times

Advertisements

to check out on saturday? it's going to be warm. i'd prefer to be at the beach, but i don't think that's happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 01:23 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
You'd be a short train/bus ride to Manhattan.

Taylor Swift is playing at MetLife Stadium.

Nearby Rutherford has good restaurants in a nice small downtown area.

SkyBlue (women's pro soccer) will be playing at Rutgers with some returning World Cup players back to their teams.

Cruise on Hudson to/around Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
You'd be a short train/bus ride to Manhattan.

Taylor Swift is playing at MetLife Stadium.

Nearby Rutherford has good restaurants in a nice small downtown area.

SkyBlue (women's pro soccer) will be playing at Rutgers with some returning World Cup players back to their teams.

Cruise on Hudson to/around Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island.
eh i guess i should mention i grew up in NJ and live in Westchester. some of these ideas sound somewhat "touristy". though i really do appreciate the insight.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:49 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Garfield is best known as the least expensive place to live in Bergen County. So, no, it's not really a hotbed of entertainment. Garfield is pretty much all of the negative things we don't want people to think New Jersey is.

It's one of the most contaminated places in the country due to previous industry. It's on the Passaic River--a historically-important waterway, but one of the most polluted rivers in the United States going back to the 19th century. But hey, it is named after a President. Who was assassinated.

You could go over to the historical section of Paterson. See the Great Falls. Or the Labor Museum. Or Larry Doby Park, named after the first black baseball player in whichever league Jackie Robinson wasn't in. Or see Lou Costello's boyhood home. Oh wait, they tore that down. Never mind.

Find a bar.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,151,703 times
MQ nailed it. Some people refer to it as Gar"bage"field. Go over the river to Ruts Hut in Clifton and grab some hot dogs (rippers/wellers/creamator) with their famous relish and some beers. They've been featured on the Travel channel and Food network. Don't know what else to tell ya. Good luck, watch your back and be safe.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:54 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Once you go to Meltzers, you'll go nowhere eltzers.

Paterson falls, shopping in Paramus (except on Sundays) and if you drive a half hour north to Darlington park there's a lake with a swimming area and places to hike nearby.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:23 PM

856 posts, read 704,910 times
Garrett Mountain Reservation for a nice walk:

Garret Mountain Reservation | New York-New Jersey Trail Conference

Old 07-09-2015, 07:31 PM

1,560 posts, read 2,151,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Once you go to Meltzers, you'll go nowhere eltzers..
Awesome. Haven't heard that in years. Used to get my fishing license and trout stamp there just so I can catch nothing at White's pond in your neck of the woods.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
MQ nailed it. Some people refer to it as Gar"bage"field. Go over the river to Ruts Hut in Clifton and grab some hot dogs (rippers/wellers/creamator) with their famous relish and some beers. They've been featured on the Travel channel and Food network. Don't know what else to tell ya. Good luck, watch your back and be safe.
I love Ruts.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:19 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,735 times
Go check out Blackjack Mulligans Public House in Garfield!

Blackjackmulligans.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey