Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 10:13 PM

30 posts, read 36,417 times

Advertisements

I'm currently a new yorker who works in Jersey but my wife works in new york city. We're looking for a house that would be a decent commute for the both of us. So far I've been looking at Old Bridge as far as NJ goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:44 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
You do realize that about a quarter million NJ residents commute to the city every day, right? We live all over North and Central Jersey, and the towns vary as to cost and lifestyle. That's why we ask that you answer those questions in the sticky. People will help you, but you have to provide some information to allow them to do so. You don't say what your budget is, what part of the city you work in, or where your wife works. Important info missing here.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You do realize that about a quarter million NJ residents commute to the city every day, right? We live all over North and Central Jersey, and the towns vary as to cost and lifestyle. That's why we ask that you answer those questions in the sticky. People will help you, but you have to provide some information to allow them to do so. You don't say what your budget is, what part of the city you work in, or where your wife works. Important info missing here.
Ok thanks for the response I'll view the sticky now.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:08 AM

I'm moving from NY looking to purchase a home. Her commute is to the down town Manhattan area. I'm looking for a home in the 300K to 440K range depending on the taxes. Its for a family of 4 me the wife and two young children ages 3 and 1. A town house condo is fine but I prefer a detached home in a suburban area. the mrs doesn't drive so I would like to be close to transportation.

Quote:
I'm moving from NY looking to purchase a home. Her commute is to the down town Manhattan area. I'm looking for a home in the 300K to 440K range depending on the taxes. Its for a family of 4 me the wife and two young children ages 3 and 1. A town house condo is fine but I prefer a detached home in a suburban area. the mrs doesn't drive so I would like to be close to transportation.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeham View Post
Key info still missing. Where do you work? Do you care for good schools or do you plan to move when your kids start going to school?

Here's the sticky btw - Questions For Future and Potential Residents

Old 09-14-2015, 08:44 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Key info still missing. Where do you work? Do you care for good schools or do you plan to move when your kids start going to school?

No one is trying to be nosy. It's just information that's necessary. If you want to live in Old Bridge but you work in Montvale, do you REALLY want to sit in traffic for an hour or more on the Parkway or Turnpike every morning?

I'm not saying this to be mean and maybe it doesn't apply to you, but I work in Manhattan and have for 36 years now, and I know that a lot of New Yorkers are completely clueless as to a) the geography of NJ and the location of its various parts in relation to the city, and b) the variations in types of towns and cities and lifestyles throughout the state.

We had to work in Jersey City for a while after 9/11, and one of my coworkers, who has lived for most of her life on the Lower East Side, could not get it through her head that some of us had hour or longer commutes to the JC office from our NJ towns, because after all, we LIVED in JERSEY, so that means we must be only ten minutes away.

A friend of mine who lived in Manhattan for the first 30 years of her life was shocked to see that there are so many garden apartment complexes in NJ. She thought everyone lived in a house with a yard.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Take a look at this chart: http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/Cap_9percent_Rail_NYP.pdf

These are the new prices for NJTransit fares going into effect in October.

I would take a NJTransit train and bus map and start looking at the towns listed on each lines as a guide and then search home prices from station to station.

With the new NJTransit price hike, coming from Central NJ to NYC would cost an avg $400+ a month. I know several folks at work coming from Freehold and Old Bridge are gonna pay $400/month. Do the math then figure out if it makes sense to live far out or live closer and take a smaller tax increase.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:43 AM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeham View Post
I'm currently a new yorker who works in Jersey but my wife works in new york city. We're looking for a house that would be a decent commute for the both of us. So far I've been looking at Old Bridge as far as NJ goes.
Best place to move and buy a house? What's best for YOU? This discussion entails SO much more. School systems, lifestyle, culture, shopping, houses of worship, social aspects, religious, price points, affordability, children, and so much more. Old Bridge? Why? What about it appeals to you, what about do you like?

One comment -- while I am certainly "spoiled" as far as a commute, Old Bridge is a long way from NYC and could be a nasty commute.

Do your due diligence, and be educated as far as what towns have, offer, etc. -- but more importantly, what you are looking for, want, etc.

Good luck.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:00 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Us Jersey folks are so generous! The OP hasn't even given enough info and we are dying here to provide him with all the advise that he will ever need for his house hunting project.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post

I work in Bayonne so my commute isnt really an issue. I would like an area with good schools but it's not really important because I don't plan to stay past 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey