Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:19 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdude05 View Post
You seem to be confused between scientific research and wasting taxpayer money.

As someone who makes a living based on tech, I am all for pushing the envelop with researches to advance the human race and make our lives better - super collider, fusion, self driving cars, going to mars etc.. I think it's money well spent even though some of them may not yield any result (ie: fusion still isnt practical after tens of billions and decade of research). After all, the main difference between us and other species on this planet is our ability to advance (and destroy).

But this maglev technology funding is pure waste, nothing else. It's done, it's running, and it's proven to be unfeasible. Especially in the US given our political structure and extremely tight regulations, that result in insane cost expenses (on top of already insane expenses of the technology) linked to any infrastructure projects across the board.

If we really want to look in the future, then spend the money researching hyperloop, at least it will yield some results we dont already know. Maglev is done, everyone looked at, and gave up on it - there are only 2 short (almost test) tracks running in china and japan, and less than handful looking at this technology - it's more of a tourist attraction than a real means of economic transportation.

I will say again, with the systems we have in the US, maglev will NEVER happen in this country, only thing it will do is wasting taxpayer money on bs feasibility studies the world already know wont work.

What we should do is invest the money towards upgrading the existing tracks so they can handle the conventional high speed bullet trains, then upgrade the trains themselves. That's the practical path forward.
And you seem to be a self appointed expert in mass transit technology and also an expert in the type of research that the government should and not should do. I believe any serious, peer reviewed research effort with potential is worth while. I mostly trust the government that they have checked with scientific community about any research effort they are funding. I think both Maglev and Hyperloop are very long shots. But at least there are some revenue based tracks for Maglev and I assume a number of scientific and engineering studies. Hyperloop is semi phantasy advocated by pretty much one person who is not really an expect in mass transit technologies. Using your logic, research in maglev seems to be more worthwhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:21 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,091,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Totally agree. Stupid and pointless. Reminds me of that California high speed train.
So what should California build to meet its North - South transportation needs. Another highway? That will do noting to alleviate traffic and absolutely nothing to combat Global Warning.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
And you seem to be a self appointed expert in mass transit technology and also an expert in the type of research that the government should and not should do. I believe any serious, peer reviewed research effort with potential is worth while. I mostly trust the government that they have checked with scientific community about any research effort they are funding. I think both Maglev and Hyperloop are very long shots. But at least there are some revenue based tracks for Maglev and I assume a number of scientific and engineering studies. Hyperloop is semi phantasy advocated by pretty much one person who is not really an expect in mass transit technologies. Using your logic, research in maglev seems to be more worthwhile.
Right there, bolded in green, is your problem.
I do not trust the government, and why would any rational person?
Too many conflicts of interest these days, too many politicians concerned only with the short term and the next election. Not the long term. $18 trillion in national debt & climbing. A president who says that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam. Terrorist attacks that are shoveled under the rug and are called workplace violence incidents or mob uprisings instead of what they really are. I rest my case.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:03 PM

343 posts, read 615,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Let me speak slowly so you can understand...

1) Maglev technology is ALREADY researched and built. It is not economically feasible even in countries like china, where the cost, regulations, and politics for infrastructure buildouts are significantly cheaper/relaxed.

2) Hyperloop technology is NOT researched. So if we are going to waste tens of millions, this is a better alternative as it is a new technology noone knows much about yet, at least it will yield some understanding.

3) My proposal is to put the money towards upgrading the existing tracks and conventional trains in piecemeal if we are to spend this money.

From how the engineers (the real ones who design/research the system not the train drivers) explained to me at high level - the existing old tracks have connection points where the pieces meet, this small gap / unevenness is fine for current trains at existing speed(anyone who took a train notices those bumps), but new high speed trains that travel up to 250mph cannot use those tracks as the bumps will be amplified to significant and not safe at highspeed. So they need to be replaced with modern tracks that do not have those connections (along with bunch other benefits including digital monitoring/control support, more stability turning etc.. ) in order to support those new trains, but the old trains can still travel on the new tracks (backward compatibility).

This to me is the path forward, it's how china transformed it's near non existent train system from the 40s into one of the world's most advanced and connected train infrastructure in 20 years.

PS and i am thrilled you trust the government to know what they are doing, maybe they will start another arc tunnel feasibility study for the next 12 years and hundreds of millions dollars later, just to cancel it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey