Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 AM

16 posts, read 28,230 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

We are moving to NJ within two months,

this is our second trip to the US ,the first was last year ,it was short BUT nice ,so we desided to

move,live,and work in NJ ,we have green cards.

I need your advice ,opinions,and recommendatinos about places which go with the comming points;

1 . we donot have jobs in NJ ,means we will find a job as second step after having a place.

2 . we have three children 9,8 and 5 years old ,"one of the major reasons for living in the US for us is

having GOOD EDUCATION for them.

3. $1500 will be suitable for monthly rent.

I believe..no one can get every thing he wants in his life

but also,, your help I think will help me get approatch of what I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 05:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times
1500 may not be suitable for renting a three or 4 bedroom apt in a city with good schools.
You may need more. Check out Craigslist.

You are Arabic,I'm guessing?
Some areas where you may feel more comfortable are Paterson,Jersey City,and Trenton.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
With 3 children and 2 adults, many landlords will not rent an apartment of less than 3 bedrooms.

Three bedroom apartments are not in large supply, and those that do exist will almost always cost more than $1,500 per month rent in NJ. And, most importantly, if you do find one of these large apartments in your price range, it will almost surely not be in one of the better school districts.

I am not sure if your plan is practical, given your budget for rent. In other states, it would be easier, but in NJ--with our high cost of living--I think that your plan might not be possible.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
1500 may not be suitable for renting a three or 4 bedroom apt in a city with good schools.
You may need more. Check out Craigslist.

You are Arabic,I'm guessing?
Some areas where you may feel more comfortable are Paterson,Jersey City,and Trenton.
Oh ,yes Iam Egyption.

school ranking in the cities you mentioned above is not that good .

about numbers of bedrooms ,I was thinking about two bedrooms .why not ?

I need details in this point

and thanks

Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
With 3 children and 2 adults, many landlords will not rent an apartment of less than 3 bedrooms.

Three bedroom apartments are not in large supply, and those that do exist will almost always cost more than $1,500 per month rent in NJ. And, most importantly, if you do find one of these large apartments in your price range, it will almost surely not be in one of the better school districts.

I am not sure if your plan is practical, given your budget for rent. In other states, it would be easier, but in NJ--with our high cost of living--I think that your plan might not be possible.
again..WHY With 3 children and 2 adults, many landlords will not rent an apartment of less than 3 bedrooms.

is it about the lows of the state ? by the way they are 3 boys

any web site you suggest for this issue?

thanks

Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 AM

19,137 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Local regulations usually govern how many people can live in an apartment of a particular size, and even if local regulations are silent on the issue, many landlords do not want to create overcrowded conditions in their building. What may be considered normal living conditions in other parts of the world may be considered to be overcrowding in The US. Whether this is similar to what you are used to or not, the reality is that it will be very difficult--perhaps impossible--to find someone willing to rent a 2 bedroom apartment to a family of your size.

Then, we have your housing budget and your desire for "good schools".

Put all of these factors together, and I think that you will need to budget $2,000 per month for renting a 3 bedroom apartment in a town that has good schools. Then, you will need to budget...probably $150-200 per month for utilities.

In order to get to work, you will probably need to buy a car, and insurance on that car will likely cost you about $100-120 per month. In case you think that you won't need a car, you have to realize that public transportation is sometimes not convenient (or simply not available) in the suburbs where the schools tend to be better. And, public transportation is now...expensive. So, don't forget to include transportation costs in your budget.

In summary, I think that you have to examine your total financial resources very carefully in order to determine whether you can afford to live in NJ before you arrive here.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 15,427 times
Default moving to NJ

Hello!
You definately want to check out Craigslist for apartment rentals. Credit worthiness is very important to landlords and you will want to have good credit and 1.5 mos of security deposit as well for the apartment. With 3 kids you will need a 3 br apartment and this is hard to find if you want to be closer to the city. The farther out you go you can find something in NJ for 1500 per month for this price. That is the tradeoff.
Good luck,

Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM

168 posts, read 244,379 times
Paterson has large Muslim population, and rents are affordable compared to rest of the state.

Please don't wear burkas here, thank you. Keep in mind that you live in predominately Christian nation.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliganO View Post
Paterson has large Muslim population, and rents are affordable compared to rest of the state.

Please don't wear burkas here, thank you. Keep in mind that you live in predominately Christian nation.
Soooo?? You expect people to leave their culture behind because an fanatical christian like you doesn't like it?? Who do you think you are, Nunnor?

Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,463,663 times
Every time I see one of these posts, I say to myself, "How many posts is it going to take for someone to post something racist/culturally insensitive?" Maybe next time we should start a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey