Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:56 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,626,684 times

Advertisements

I have noticed this happening more often recently and I don't recall seeing this before. I've been driving for almost 20 years and I think I see a trend developing that's got me scratching my head.

It used to be that people who were unaware of others on the road may block up the passing lane and not move over. Okay, it happens.

Now, I am starting to see people do the following: they block the lane and go the speed limit or just under. They block the lane for miles until the person behind them gives up and attempts to pass in the middle lane or on the right, and they speed up to prevent the person from passing.

It happened to me a few times this year, a few times in Burlington County on 295 S. It happened to me once or twice on the AC Expressway as well, and once on 206 in Columbus.

Yesterday I was on my way from Trenton to Northfield. I was behind someone (not tailgating!) on 295 and was waiting to pass. This went on for a few minutes. I was aware of my distance from them and waited. They didn't move over. They were going 5 mph under the speed limit. I got into the middle lane and sped up, and she sped up. I wanted to pass but she wouldn't let me. I wasn't even aware of how fast I was going during my attempt to pass until I looked down, I was going 85.

That scared the hell out of me. I NEVER go that fast.

Anyone else notice this and can you recommend a way to deal with it? I don't have road rage and I don't want to go to court to fight with someone over who is in the wrong in a traffic incident, I just want to safely get to my destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
I just have one thing to say to you ... if you don't like the way I drive then stay off the sidewalk! Sorry hun..I'm one of those "block the shoulder so that ******* behind me can't sneak past the rest of us sitting in traffic" kind of gals.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,912,740 times
I've noticed it too. They are playing games--a subtle form of road rage. They are pissed you are trying to pass them so they take it out on you. Sorry no solutions.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:16 PM

21 posts, read 162,358 times
yeah im like that...but i won't let the person pass me because i'll be doing 10 over the limit already and see no reason for him to go faster..so i dont allow him

Old 08-01-2008, 07:19 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,612,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart723 View Post
yeah im like that...but i won't let the person pass me because i'll be doing 10 over the limit already and see no reason for him to go faster..so i dont allow him
I like your style : ) Did you know you can get a ticket and hefty fine for passing on the shoulder? I let them pass me when I see a cop up ahead

Old 08-01-2008, 07:55 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,912,740 times
You sound like typical NJ drivers. Thanks for the bad rep.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I just have one thing to say to you ... if you don't like the way I drive then stay off the sidewalk! Sorry hun..I'm one of those "block the shoulder so that ******* behind me can't sneak past the rest of us sitting in traffic" kind of gals.
I know your being sarcastic WIley. Your much too nice to be like that.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM

148 posts, read 639,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart723 View Post
yep my husband does it as well...its no game, its just usually some driver being an ass behind him so he tries to **** them off as well

Old 08-01-2008, 08:31 PM

14 posts, read 43,455 times
People who won't let you pass are just being difficult. No one appointed those people to be vigilantes and be road cops. Mind your own business and get out of the fast lane.

When someone sits on the fast lane and are just doing the speed limit, they create a traffic jam. So many times, I have gotten caught in a line of cars behind this one car that won't move over, so everyone has to drive around him. How rude is that driver?

Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
She is talking about people in the left lane, not the shoulder. And its also keep right, pass left, so technically the idiots on the left are not following NJ law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey