Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 06:38 PM

152 posts, read 185,775 times

Advertisements

it doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 06:54 PM

6 posts, read 6,956 times
New York City and New York State have one of the largest and most valuable central business districts in the world--Manhattan. Wall street firms, Madison Avenue, etc. generate enormous profits and consequently taxes that allows property taxes to remain relatively low, or at least lower than New Jersey.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:57 PM

148 posts, read 220,495 times
Corrupt local Municipalities.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:03 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
NYC imposes an income tax on everyone who lives there, regardless of whether they rent or own. Plus owners still have to pay a property tax as well

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 PM

789 posts, read 703,108 times
NYC income tax of 3.65% PLUS prop taxes gets you the NYC public school system, which for 90% of the city is not somewhere most parents would choose for their kids. Thus, NYC has probably more private schools per square mile than anywhere in the country......so you pay all those taxes and are forced to send kids to private school. Realize that private school in NJ is a choice that upper mid/wealthy may choose. In NYC many lower mid/mid are FORCED to send their kids to private schools if they want to give their kids a chance at a quality education.

So lets do the math. (I still live in a NYC borough). $600k house prop tax is about $5-6k. NYC income tax on say $100k earnings another $3,600. Now you have to send two kids to private grammar school......another $6-8k depending on school. On the low end your looking at $20k all in bw prop/income tax/schooling. Forget it when those kids get to HS. That number jumps to $35k or above.

Now you know why every other post on these boards is people looking to leave boroughs of NY in search of good schools and housing. Among those who I went to HS with here in NY, I honestly don't know anyone who has stayed. I'm sure some did....I just don't know any. Same with friends that have had kids. Everyone has fled to Westchester, CT, NJ, LI. People vote with their feet.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:21 PM

245 posts, read 311,447 times
New York imposes an INCOME tax at both the State AND City level. New Jersey only imposes a State level income tax, and it's usually lower than the New York State tax. To make up for that difference, they slam you on real estate tax. If you notice, it seems like only large cities like NYC and Philadelphia impose an income tax. It's probably because its more complicated to handle than a real estate tax. Since New Jersey is made up of a hundred small towns (really glorified neighborhoods), it simpler for them to just tax real-estate. They know you have a quarter-acre of property, therefore you owe $10k in real estate tax. Also, in NJ most people think of their real estate tax as basically private school tuition. It's a really big deal if you live on this side of the street versus the other side because you could live in a completely different town with a different school system. This leads to drastic neighborhood changes on the town lines. And the RIDICULOUS number of small towns is probably inefficient considering that you have a different mayor, police chief, fire chief and school chancellor every 2 miles! And the nice towns overspend. The towns that don't need a lot of police are the ones that have really jacked up squad cars because the town is rich.

Some quick Turbotax numbers:

A married couple in NYC making $100k pays $7.5k in total State and City tax.
If you make $200k in NYC you pay $18.5k in total State and City Tax.
A $500k house pays $4k per year in NYC real-estate tax.

A married couple in NJ making $100k pays $2.5k in NJ State tax, no city tax.
If you make $200k in NJ, you pay $8.5k in NJ State tax, no city tax.
A $500k house pays $20k per year in NJ real-estate tax.

See the difference?

Old 02-24-2016, 08:29 PM

323 posts, read 562,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey25 View Post
Corrupt local Municipalities.
This. Period.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:19 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
NYC income tax of 3.65% PLUS prop taxes gets you the NYC public school system, which for 90% of the city is not somewhere most parents would choose for their kids. Thus, NYC has probably more private schools per square mile than anywhere in the country......so you pay all those taxes and are forced to send kids to private school. Realize that private school in NJ is a choice that upper mid/wealthy may choose. In NYC many lower mid/mid are FORCED to send their kids to private schools if they want to give their kids a chance at a quality education.

So lets do the math. (I still live in a NYC borough). $600k house prop tax is about $5-6k. NYC income tax on say $100k earnings another $3,600. Now you have to send two kids to private grammar school......another $6-8k depending on school. On the low end your looking at $20k all in bw prop/income tax/schooling. Forget it when those kids get to HS. That number jumps to $35k or above.

Now you know why every other post on these boards is people looking to leave boroughs of NY in search of good schools and housing. Among those who I went to HS with here in NY, I honestly don't know anyone who has stayed. I'm sure some did....I just don't know any. Same with friends that have had kids. Everyone has fled to Westchester, CT, NJ, LI. People vote with their feet.
My brother in law paid $30k tuition for kindergarten for his son, and the cost went up from there. And they put these little kids through rigorous testing, and the competition is fierce. They even had a child psychologist interview every applicant.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:34 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
New York imposes an INCOME tax at both the State AND City level. New Jersey only imposes a State level income tax, and it's usually lower than the New York State tax. To make up for that difference, they slam you on real estate tax. If you notice, it seems like only large cities like NYC and Philadelphia impose an income tax. It's probably because its more complicated to handle than a real estate tax. Since New Jersey is made up of a hundred small towns (really glorified neighborhoods), it simpler for them to just tax real-estate. They know you have a quarter-acre of property, therefore you owe $10k in real estate tax. Also, in NJ most people think of their real estate tax as basically private school tuition. It's a really big deal if you live on this side of the street versus the other side because you could live in a completely different town with a different school system. This leads to drastic neighborhood changes on the town lines. And the RIDICULOUS number of small towns is probably inefficient considering that you have a different mayor, police chief, fire chief and school chancellor every 2 miles! And the nice towns overspend. The towns that don't need a lot of police are the ones that have really jacked up squad cars because the town is rich.

Some quick Turbotax numbers:

A married couple in NYC making $100k pays $7.5k in total State and City tax.
If you make $200k in NYC you pay $18.5k in total State and City Tax.
A $500k house pays $4k per year in NYC real-estate tax.

A married couple in NJ making $100k pays $2.5k in NJ State tax, no city tax.
If you make $200k in NJ, you pay $8.5k in NJ State tax, no city tax.
A $500k house pays $20k per year in NJ real-estate tax.

See the difference?

I pay nowhere near 20K in real estate tax on my NJ house which is in that price range. I'm at around 8.
My fam has house in NYC around that range and pay 6K.

Old 02-25-2016, 06:38 AM

3,992 posts, read 2,459,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
My brother in law paid $30k tuition for kindergarten for his son, and the cost went up from there. And they put these little kids through rigorous testing, and the competition is fierce. They even had a child psychologist interview every applicant.
Yeah- friends were looking @ Horace Mann & Ethical Cultural School, can't imagine what those bills would be, but Trump's grandkid and Jeff Gordan's kid was in their little one's class.

On Staten Island, the good Catholic schools cost 8-9K per kid, the crappy ones where it's basically public school with uniforms are like 5K per kid. The HS can go upto 13 or so; and they are nowhere in the league of the better NJ public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey