Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 5,959 times

Advertisements

We had plans to put our house in the market ourselves (FSBO) and we decided a price based on similar (sold) houses in the neighborhood.Surprisingly, our immediate next door neighbor has put his house on sale through a realtor for a lower price (at least 20k less) for a house bigger than us. That house has the highest square footage in our development with a bedroom/bath in the first floor.
Both are beautiful, well maintained houses and ours should go for the price he is asking( may be little less) and his should go more than ours.
That has put us in a fix.
- Do we put our house in the market FSBO now ( May/June is the best month to sell) or wait till he sells his house?
-How do we price ours as we fear buyers would bargain comparing theirs with ours - we have finished basement and newly renovated kitchen with granite counter tops - and they don't, but ours is a smaller model by about 200 sqft.
We do not know what the impact will be, if 2 houses next to each other are in market at the same time and we feel ours will sell low due to this and would have done better if not for his low pricing.

Appreciate your thoughts on this that would help us decide our next step of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 12:51 PM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
If they are in the same price range then all potential buyers will visit both properties right after another. If I were you, I'd wait. Two houses for sale right next to each other will also make buyers question if there is something not being disclosed in that area.

If he is priced low the house should sell fast and you get another comp.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:53 PM

Thanks -that is good suggestion.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:57 PM

jOnx, Area/neighborhood is great!! Properites are hot cakes. it is a coincidence that our neighbor is retiring/ moving and we are moving due to my husband's job in a different state. He priced it low so he could sell and move faster but we feel that it will bring down the property price a little bit in our development.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:06 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Everyone's different. Me, if I was looking at 2 houses next to each other, I would want a lower price on the fsbo because there is no realtor cut.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:20 PM

True! That's how generally a buyer would look at it and even I would look at it as a buyer. Issue here is our neighbor is underselling himself.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:21 PM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
yeah, you know they are saving ~5%.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:31 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
If your neighbor is truly underselling his house he'll get multiple offers on it and it will bid up. but you're right to be worried, because the more information that exists for the buyer, the more they'll know about what the price should be. hopefully for your scenario, the house sells quickly and for above listing price. then you can list yours competitively and if people question the price vs your neighbor's you can probably mention he was in a hurry to sell. but in any event, you'll get offers and know where buyers stand on what they think your house is worth.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:41 PM

Thanks bradykp. That's encouraging...especially if it sells above listed price, then it is all the more merrier for me!!

Old 06-01-2016, 09:48 AM

Put our house on sale this long weekend Friday and got 2-3 offers and accepted one.
All is well!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey