Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Rice and beans, cheapest of all.
its my opinion that "food stamps" should be limited to basic stuff like rice, beans, oats, etc. the healthiest and cheapest food out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbi82 View Post
Thats true... It sure is perhaps best value, the KFC, for fast food. I have ~$150 left now after the milk and Kix.

Its true, when you write down every dollar, you really see the small fortune I used to spend on Red Bull and fast food. Im doing my best to increase activity level. I donylt work out like a Marine, but i do a couple thousand "jump rope in place without the rope" (200 at a time, sets of 10) to try to work my core. I am also trying to Sugar Detox.

Im thinking of moving. Restaurant down the street has Dishwasher sign.. Isnt hiring a dishwasher. (Only one restaurant in Bayonne matches this descriptor.) So. I am thinking of what to do.

Maybe now that I have some Grape Nuts and Kix.. Ok maybe thats not condusive to Sugar Detox.. Maybe it is. Today is Day One. (Ive eliminated Red Bull before, then i get one because it tastes good, then i spend like $50 on 10 or so Red Bulls before I remember how sugar makes you fat and etc.)

Yes, im talking about a few things at the same time, but I like this forum. I think this place is great.

Sorry, but you seems to be a basket case
You have limited funds but you want to eat lunch away from home? Frequently dining out is for dumb or very affluent people (still dumb).
You have more than $150 per month for food? And you are unable to make it work? Holy sh.t! Maybe not surprising if you buy completely overpriced food like Kix. It's from General Mills, avoid products from this company at all cost. Just look at their profit margins. The authorities should dissolve this company and put the managers in prison.
If you buy food from such companies you make rich people even richer and poor people even poorer. That's irresponsible.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:50 PM

79 posts, read 96,004 times
^^^ These cans.. I don't remember them costing like a dollar a piece lol!

Im almost on my second box of Kix cereal.

Seems eating at home is cheaper. ...

Old 07-09-2016, 01:52 PM

79 posts, read 96,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
You have limited funds but you want to eat lunch away from home? Frequently dining out is for dumb or very affluent people (still dumb).
You have more than $150 per month for food? And you are unable to make it work? Holy sh.t! Maybe not surprising if you buy completely overpriced food like Kix. It's from General Mills, avoid products from this company at all cost. Just look at their profit margins. The authorities should dissolve this company and put the managers in prison.
If you buy food from such companies you make rich people even richer and poor people even poorer. That's irresponsible.
You don't like General Mills? Half of what you said was about Kix and the company General Mills.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:28 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its my opinion that "food stamps" should be limited to basic stuff like rice, beans, oats, etc. the healthiest and cheapest food out there.
It would certainly go further. And then they could afford more produce.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:15 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It would certainly go further. And then they could afford more produce.
...but why would they want to decrease the likelihood of...Type 2 Diabetes...Coronary Artery Disease...High Blood Pressure...Morbid Obesity...and ultimately...Dementia, when they could simply continue to enjoy the convenience of processed foods from the supermarket and fast food from the drive-through joint on the highway?

Are you...un-American?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:09 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,966,421 times
Quote:
Im in Bayonne.. I like other states more, but being presently broke and without means I am stuck in this ****hole we call NJ. Everything wrong with being a liberal is here. Massachusetts may cost a lot but at least if you have a job and live with someone it can be "workable." I live with someone here and it just sucks.

So where do you CHEAPLY eat?
I don't know that Bayonne is any more expensive than any other city in the tri-state area, or any other major metro area in any state.

Not really sure what that bolded part is supposed to mean, but isn't liberalism what enables you to have food stamps? Never mind. I don't want to get into a political discussion. I will just share my tips on eating frugally.

First, I echo a lot of what's already been said by folks like Retriever, about eliminating restaurant, fast food, and take out food...unless we're talking about truly cheap eats like the McD's $0.99 menu and 2-for-1 offerings mentioned by Jersey Man...that's obviously still a deal. I think Wendy's also has a decent dollar menu. As far as fast food goes, the chili isn't actually all that bad, nutrition wise.

But like other's have said, you can really save money with smart grocery shopping and food prepping yourself. I +1 CaptainNJ's post about oatmeal. Oatmeal and peanut butter can be had for dirt cheap, are nutritious, and filling. I'll add that steel cut oats are more satisfying than rolled oats. The other thing about oatmeal is that there is the potential for a lot of variety so you won't get bored. You can have sweet oatmeal as is the norm (with any combination of milk, fruit, jam, honey, etc. etc.), but you can also make savory oats for dinner...I like it with salt, pepper, a little bit of olive oil, and shaved parmesan. And of course, as mentioned by MightyQ, there are also endless possibilities with rice & beans which are also dirt cheap.

Some additional tips:
  • Go through the supermarket circulars for coupons and to see what's on sale, and also get the grocery store club cards for more deals...that goes for both if you get your car back & running and stay in Bayonne, or move to Florida or wherever else. Yes, it is worth it.
  • Buy the generic brand whenever possible. For example, buy the generic brand of Kix, Grape Nuts and Skippy.
  • The canned goods aisle...most of that stuff is cheap. Beans, as already mentioned. Also, tuna...another winner. And canned soups. And if you're not always so health conscious, there's always corned beef & hash.
  • Troll the bread aisle for bread that's about to expire. Those loaves usually have a read clearance sticker on them...$0.99, for example. Buy those and freeze them, instead of buying the brand new fresh loaves.
  • Pasta can be as cheap as rice and oatmeal. You can get a box of spaghetti, ziti, penne, etc. etc. for 99 cents if it's on sale or you get the generic brand. You'll get 8 servings out of a box. Get the whole wheat if you want to be more healthy. Lots of brands of jarred spaghetti sauce can be had for cheap (e.g. Prego, Ragu), but I think the canned marinara is even cheaper. Around here, I can usually find Cento and Tuttorosso canned marinara for really cheap. Small, single size serving cans are something like 30 cents each.
  • And of course, don't forget the produce section. You'd be amazed at the volume of food you can get out of a sweet potato or an acorn squash. Chop or smash with some olive oil or butter, garlic or onion, salt & pepper.
  • Farmer's markets usually have great deals. FYI: Bayonne Farmer's Market.

Quote:
Im doing my best to increase activity level. I donylt work out like a Marine, but i do a couple thousand "jump rope in place without the rope" (200 at a time, sets of 10) to try to work my core. I am also trying to Sugar Detox.

Im thinking of moving. Restaurant down the street has Dishwasher sign.. Isnt hiring a dishwasher. (Only one restaurant in Bayonne matches this descriptor.) So. I am thinking of what to do.

Maybe now that I have some Grape Nuts and Kix.. Ok maybe thats not condusive to Sugar Detox.. Maybe it is. Today is Day One. (Ive eliminated Red Bull before, then i get one because it tastes good, then i spend like $50 on 10 or so Red Bulls before I remember how sugar makes you fat and etc.)

Yes, im talking about a few things at the same time, but I like this forum. I think this place is great.
Jumping rope is a fantastic, and cheap, way to get in shape. If you really want to work your core, get in some plank work as well. Basic planks, plank jumps, plank jacks, plank twists, burpees. You don't need any equipment or a gym for that either.

As far as cutting down on sugar, if you're going to eat cereal, both Grape Nuts and Kix are relatively low in sugar. I'd be careful with the Grape Nuts, though. While a serving size of Kix is over 1 cup, a serving size of Grape Nuts is only 1/2 a cup. So, if you're eating a full cup of Grape Nuts, you're getting double the sugar that's listed on the nutrition label. Plain Cheerios are also relatively low in sugar. (And again, if you want to save money, get the generic versions of all of these.)

Old 07-09-2016, 06:16 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,324 times
Quote:
You don't like General Mills? Half of what you said was about Kix and the company General Mills.
I just have googled Kix and have learned that it's from General Mills. Then googled General Mills and found out that their Ebit margin is about 15% (absurd high).
Not sure, but I think we don't have products from General Mills in Germany. The company is rather unknown over here.
Of course I don't like businesses that try to cheat me. The difference between companies like General Mills and a fraud isn't distinguishable. I don't understand why people with little money buy so often overpriced name brand food.
People are often complaining that they are struggling to make ends meet, but at the same time they pay through the nose for "fancy" food.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:18 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,462,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
Buy the Aldi's version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterchef1 View Post
I tried the aldi in east Rutherford, I found it has mostly brands I never heard of, kinda turned me off because I start thinking dollar store, made in china stuff, I know it is probably good but I never went back.

I found shop-rite is the cheapest supermarket around, also if you follow the sales, use a occasional coupon, it's a good place to shop.
You mean like Trader Joe's? Are you turned off there? Aldi and Trader Joe's are sister companies, owned by different Aldi divisions of the German Albrecht Empire. Trader Joe's targets upper-middle-class areas, while Aldi's targets lower-middle class areas.

But there is quite a bit of similarity in many of their product offerings (and some are darn near identical). Both offer a vast majority of products under their house brands. But while you get "Trader Joe's Swiss Alps Aged Virgin Cow Cheese with a Hint of Turmeric" in a pretty package, at Aldi's you get "Happy Farms Cheddar Cheese" in less fancy packaging at half the price or less.

And, as far as Shop-Rite, granted Aldi cannot offer all the items that a supermarket chain with typical stores 4x-5x the size of the typical Aldi's store can. But as far as prices on items available at both stores? With the exception of some loss-leader items featured prominently each week in Shop-Rite's sales flyers, Aldi's prices are significantly cheaper than Shop-Rite's. I got a pint of blueberries at Aldi's this week for $.99. A pint of strawberries for $1.49. Heavy cream $1.69 a pint. A bag of croutons for $.79. I challenge you (CHALLENGE YOU!!!) to find those prices for comparable items at Shop-Rite.

Aldi rocks. You just have to understand the concept.

Old 07-09-2016, 08:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...but why would they want to decrease the likelihood of...Type 2 Diabetes...Coronary Artery Disease...High Blood Pressure...Morbid Obesity...and ultimately...Dementia, when they could simply continue to enjoy the convenience of processed foods from the supermarket and fast food from the drive-through joint on the highway?

Are you...un-American?

a lot of people take tremendous offense when i suggest that food stamps should only be for those basics. like i am torturing people by suggesting they should eat quality cheap food that will fill them up but not make them fat and unhealthy. its kind of a win win situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey