Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:46 PM

38 posts, read 36,560 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated and have had a job lined up in NJ since July. My profession requires a national certification after a board exam (I passed the test in July and am certified), but also a license from each state in which you practice. Most states take an average of 3 weeks or less to process a license, but NJ told me it'll take 8-10 weeks AFTER the 10-15 business day period it takes to even acknowledge that they received my application in the mail. And that's if everything gets sent at the same time with no issue. I applied shortly after accepting my position but may not have a license til October at this rate. I'm worried my employer will get impatient and rescind the offer or something. Is there any way to speed up this process? And why does NJ take so long?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM

351 posts, read 482,269 times
Sounds like a barrier to entry, I wonder by who...

Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Contact your local congressman and see if they can provide any help.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:09 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Contact your local congressman and see if they can provide any help.
For a purely state-related issue, wouldn't it make more sense for the OP to contact his/her NJ Assemblyman and NJ State Senator?
Why would a US Congressman get involved in something related to the functioning of the state government?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:27 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,052,594 times
What license are you trying to get?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:44 PM

38 posts, read 36,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
What license are you trying to get?
Occupational therapist license

Old 08-23-2016, 06:35 PM

152 posts, read 351,617 times
Good luck. I went through that dog & pony show 5 years ago...fingerprints, $100 application fee, sending in all required transcripts, paperwork, clinicals etc. After 6 weeks, they said they needed docs from the short level I fieldworks from 10 years prior, despite the fact that the school didn't have those records (only Level II), and the instructors no longer worked there. The woman on the phone from the Newark office was curt & unfriendly to deal with as well. Finally I said to heck with NJ and got a job in another state.

Does NJ actually WANT any taxpayers moving into the state? I get the feeling if I was an unemployed non-US citizen applying for benefits, I would have had multiple state agencies holding my hand through the process, and it would have taken half the time.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:54 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
For a purely state-related issue, wouldn't it make more sense for the OP to contact his/her NJ Assemblyman and NJ State Senator?
Why would a US Congressman get involved in something related to the functioning of the state government?
Your're right. It should be state representative. That's who I contacted when I needed to expedite my license for a job.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:09 PM

208 posts, read 170,405 times
I don't know the reason, but went through the same VERY frustrating thing: I am a nurse, and obtained my license in several different states..it took about 1 month in Connecticut, about 2 months in NY and 3 weeks in Florida...in NJ, it took 5 MONTHS for me to FINALLY get it...so frustrating! I feel for you, keep calling and bugging them!

Old 08-23-2016, 08:14 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,258,156 times
Ugh. My experience with another NJ licensing board -- and the experience of every single person I have ever talked with who also had to deal with the board -- was exactly like yours. Also, my nephew recently experienced a nightmare getting his NJ license from a different licensing board; something to do with his supervised clinical hours. So it appears to be a systemic thing in NJ.

NJ takes so long because you are dealing with state workers who don't have much motivation to work faster or more efficiently, for whatever reason. Sometimes it is because budget cuts have left too few people to do the work, and sometimes it is for other reasons. Or they may have 1970s-era computers that aren't very fast or efficient. (Just look at our beloved DMV....)

Your potential employer is probably used to the way NJ operates and hopefully, will be patient. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: