Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM

14 posts, read 57,164 times

Advertisements

Please help currently living in watchung and deciding to move to Readington. So confused should i make the move? Also all my family lives in NEW YORK. What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:59 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,165 times
There is a station in Branchburg if you'll be doing the commute. Will you need to sell before you buy? And will you need the proceeds from this sale to purchase your new home? If you think the timing is right for you, then, work some numbers see what's out there, and go for it. It is definately the right time to buy.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
...Readington is beautiful! And 22 isn't too horrible for getting to 78 to get to NYC if you would prefer to drive. You can't go wrong moving to Hunterdon Co. - It was just named one of the wealthiest County in the nation!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM

What I'm actually confused on is leaving watchung to move to Readington. Is that a good move to move away from NYC. I actually don't work there but my family lives in Long Island and I guess I'm concerned with the extra travel time. But if its a better decision as far as location, schools etc I would be willing to do it. Just need some advice.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,606,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plshelp View Post
What I'm actually confused on is leaving watchung to move to Readington. Is that a good move to move away from NYC. I actually don't work there but my family lives in Long Island and I guess I'm concerned with the extra travel time. But if its a better decision as far as location, schools etc I would be willing to do it. Just need some advice.
I'm not real familiar with the Watchung area nor do I care for living near the city : )) I like country living and if I had kids, I would rather they be out here - breathing in the fresh country air. I'm pretty sure Readington goes to the Hunterdon Schools and that are top notch! If it was me, I'd go for it! But you might want to wait for someone from Watchung or familiar with Watchung to post before you make your final decision.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 PM

810 posts, read 2,292,509 times
I lived in Readington for many years before moving, its very nice. They have done a nice job with the preservation of open space. It is not shamelessly built out like many places. There are some that say they preserved too much and could haunt them someday with higher taxes. Haven't lived there in a while but I hear the mayor does what ever she wants with her little group of supporters. The latest (its actually been going on for some time) is her obsession with condemning a small airport that has been family owned for generations. Merck is also headquarted in the Whitehouse section of Readington.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:35 PM

I also have family in NY, actually, Westchester, Coming back, I take 95 to 78. IMO The travel time would be minimal. It's a good move if it makes you happy. Have you looked at anything yet?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks for your help. Do you live in Readington? My biggest problem is deciding if its worth moving to readington from watchung? Would it be a better move for my children?

Old 02-29-2008, 08:51 PM

You don't mention how old your children are. For the most part young children adapt well. There is definately an attraction to being in Hunterdon. I still own my Hunterdon
home and would not have moved if it were not for the situation. There must be something that you're interested in.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:03 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plshelp View Post
Thanks for your help. Do you live in Readington? My biggest problem is deciding if its worth moving to readington from watchung? Would it be a better move for my children?
They are both nice from my perspective. Watchung is pretty pricey and upper crust. I'm not sure whether it would make any difference from the perspective of kids, unless they are an age where they are really settled and don't want to leave school friends (those high school years). and they are not exactly far apart.

What exactly is the pressure to move to Readington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey