Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:54 AM

222 posts, read 779,614 times

Advertisements

My son was born end of October. I heard some stories that kindergardens accept kids who is 5 before September 30. I do not want him to start going to that place year later - it is only three weeks he is older. Any way to go around that?? Is this rule applicable to any NJ counties?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 08:58 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
My son was born end of October. I heard some stories that kindergardens accept kids who is 5 before September 30. I do not want him to start going to that place year later - it is only three weeks he is older. Any way to go around that?? Is this rule applicable to any NJ counties?
Thank you

The latest cut off I know of is 10/15 so I guess it depends on the school district.

My daughter had the same problem regarding her son. She sent him to a Montessori kindergarden and the following year he went into 1st grade in the public school.

Catholic schools used to have a cut off of 12/31 but I think they now follow the public school cut off

Old 03-07-2008, 09:00 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
I have heard that also....but you may want to rethink sending him so young. If I had known then what I know now.......I would have started my kids later. DD turned 5 the first day of school.....DS bday is 8-29. I should have waited.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM

276 posts, read 1,459,007 times
This thread may help:

Looking for public schools with cut off later than oct 1 with close to manhattan ??

Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpan78 View Post
Thank you
I dont think there is a way around it, except maybe private school. Also, I'm not sure if every district uses the same cut off. My daughter will be 5 on Sept. 13, and unfortunately, most of her friends were born in Oct. and Nov. It's a shame she will be separated from most of her friends, especially when the difference in maturity level is negligible. On the other hand, they do have to have some sort of cut off. From what I have heard, MY district is very strict about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:02 AM

222 posts, read 779,614 times
Even 10/15 will not work. I think that's the solution to send him in private (??) kindergarden and then next year to the 1st grade.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:18 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
in my district, you'd have to have the child complete 1st grade (not just kindy) before they will take a child into the school with a birthday cutoff after 10/1.

it's very district specific.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:22 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
Cut off is Oct 1 here. Depends on the town.

There's no getting around it.. they have to place the cut off somewhere.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,603,160 times
I'm no big fan of teachers, but I agree with them on this one.. a lot of people overstate how intelligent/mature their 4 year old is in order to get some free babysitting.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
I'm no big fan of teachers, but I agree with them on this one.. a lot of people overstate how intelligent/mature their 4 year old is in order to get some free babysitting.
You crack me up!

I didn't say that because of free babysitting or anything like that - and honestly, she didn't ask our opinions on that - but I started this so I'll have to comment to you on that.

My daughter is now 14 - straight A's - cheerleader etc ...great kid. I should have waited a year to enroll her in Kindergarten not because she wasn't ready academically - but because she was emotionally a year younger. It has been a bit of a struggle - all of her friends are always 1 step ahead of her. While she was still playing with her dolls at 9 - her friends had moved on to more "mature" things and they thought she was still a baby

My son - just started kindergarten this year. He went to the public preschool because he had a speech delay and needed their services. The teachers were able to convince me that he was "ready" for kindergarten despite the obvious objections. With him its a little different - as boys and girls are - and although I don't see him being too far behind...he is behind - he isn't as interested and he still needs that extra push to work as hard as the others. What I have discovered now is that they wanted him there because they wanted him to be in special ed to help keep the quota up. His teachers reasoning for this is because he gets H C G sounds confused and is not consistant with writing lower case letters....ie....d and b backwards - IMO - he doesn't need this class - I've been working with him at home to help him get through...but the teacher is trying to force my hand....and she can't come up with any other reasons.

These are my experiences with starting them too young. It had nothing to do with babysittig bill lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: