Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,786 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I've done a lot of poking around on here and found a number of threads regarding Jersey City, that mention the neighborhoods around the Grove Street PATH train or Hamilton Park. I'm looking for a 2BR for around $2500-$3000 and have found a number of lovely places online near Hamilton Park, but from what I can tell, it is about a 15 minute walk to mass transit. Was wondering what anyone's opinions on the Hamilton Park area are? Does it have it's own neighborhood feel or do you have to go downtown to Grove Street to go out for dinner/drinks/etc? As it seems to be very residential, does it seem like a nice neighborhood for families? Saw some things right near Hamilton Park and Jones Park, which seem like great options for kids, but are these nice parks?

Thank you all for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 06:18 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Hamilton Park is nice. There are a few restaurants, cafes, and bars spread out and about, but it's not as cohesive and consolidated as the Grove Street area. You can surely see people day drinking at a bar like 9th and Coles or White Star, which are a few blocks away from the actual park, or the few restaurants directly across the street from the actual park. But you won't see masses of people out and bar hopping like you do at Grove Street. It's simply not feasible there. I would definitely say Hamilton Park is a family friendly area...anywhere with a nice park like that usually will be, and again to the point, you won't find drunken masses around there, which many or most people do not associate with family friendliness. It is a bit of a bummer that it's more of a hike to get to the PATH station from there. It's certainly less convenient than other neighborhoods if you are commuting to the city. But aside from that, I think Hamilton Park is a fine neighborhood to live in.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:03 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITcards View Post
Hi all. I've done a lot of poking around on here and found a number of threads regarding Jersey City, that mention the neighborhoods around the Grove Street PATH train or Hamilton Park. I'm looking for a 2BR for around $2500-$3000 and have found a number of lovely places online near Hamilton Park, but from what I can tell, it is about a 15 minute walk to mass transit. Was wondering what anyone's opinions on the Hamilton Park area are? Does it have it's own neighborhood feel or do you have to go downtown to Grove Street to go out for dinner/drinks/etc? As it seems to be very residential, does it seem like a nice neighborhood for families? Saw some things right near Hamilton Park and Jones Park, which seem like great options for kids, but are these nice parks?

Hamilton Park is great area for family orientated residents or people who want peace & quiet. Bad area if you want hustle bustle, busy busy downtown feel of area.

There are some corner stores and few restaurants here there. Often you'd probably get delivery or will find yourself going out to Grove st area.

As for commute, you have two choice which is to walk toward Newport or Grove. I recommend Grove for 33rd because trains are packed by the time it arrives to Newport. for WTC, either are fine.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,786 times
Thank you both so much. @babo111 @Leps12
My only other question for the group, does $2750 seem reasonable for a nice 2BR walkup in this neighborhood, or is that overpriced?...

Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM

565 posts, read 722,785 times
Quote:

I love the Hamilton Park area--it's my kids' favorite park, and the ice cream shop right there is amazing. In the summer, the water is turned on, you can play tennis--it's just great. And there's a good pediatrician right there, plus a handful of restaurants that can be your neighborhood joints--9th and Coles, the Bbq place, Hamilton inn, the Italian place right on the park, and Blue Lotus. And the Vietnamese place around the corner. You can walk through the mall if you commute to/from Newport, but I do agree that the train is less crowded from Grove.

I don't think $2750 is overpriced, but I guess it depends on the sq footage, how updated, how many floors to walk up, etc.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:33 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,324,539 times
Quote:

HP is beautiful. Completely safe. The main issue affecting JC these days is the Path train is smashed. It can't handle the number of new people using it. I only have to travel one stop from Exchange Place to WTC and sometimes I have to wait for the third Path to show up before I can get on a car. Grove has to be worse.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
HP is beautiful. Completely safe. The main issue affecting JC these days is the Path train is smashed. It can't handle the number of new people using it. I only have to travel one stop from Exchange Place to WTC and sometimes I have to wait for the third Path to show up before I can get on a car. Grove has to be worse.
What you said about Grove being worse is incorrect for WTC Path. Exchange station is the worst station to get on for WTC for Path because its the last stop in NJ before getting into city. Just like Newport is the worst station to get into 33rd.

For Hoboken to WTC, you have already people from Hoboken and Newport packed in before it arrives to Exchange.

For Newark to WTC, you have people from Newark, Harrison, JSQ, and Grove packed in before it arrives to Exchange.

Hence which is why you need to wait for multiple Path to WTC before having room to squeeze in.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Thank you both so much. @babo111 @Leps12
My only other question for the group, does $2750 seem reasonable for a nice 2BR walkup in this neighborhood, or is that overpriced?...
No idea because without knowing details like sq ft, walkup, amenetities, actual location, etc. can't say if its good deal or not.

Also 'nice' subjective...for example, I'm spoiled and too used to living in apts with washer/dryer in unit so if the unit doesn't have those, I don't consider it nice.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:22 AM

351 posts, read 482,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
What you said about Grove being worse is incorrect for WTC Path. Exchange station is the worst station to get on for WTC for Path because its the last stop in NJ before getting into city. Just like Newport is the worst station to get into 33rd.

For Hoboken to WTC, you have already people from Hoboken and Newport packed in before it arrives to Exchange.

For Newark to WTC, you have people from Newark, Harrison, JSQ, and Grove packed in before it arrives to Exchange.

Hence which is why you need to wait for multiple Path to WTC before having room to squeeze in.
What are you talking about? Grove is hands down the absolute worst for the WTC line. Many people get off at Exchange Place, however nobody gets off at Grove.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post

On the other hand, the ride is 3 and a half minutes, so while you may be squeezed, the torment is short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey