Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 11:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,765 times

Advertisements

Hi my husband and I will be moving to New Jersey or NYC for 8 months for his job starting in August. We are Swedes and I have never been to the United States and he has only been on a few business trips to NYC, Dallas and LA. He will be working in New Jersey and we were told to look into Jersey City as a place to look for an apartment (no children). I have been doing my research in the area however would like honest feedback for our safety about the gun violence, migrant aggression, and no go zones?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 11:51 AM

10,550 posts, read 7,084,621 times
Parts of Jersey city are safe other parts I would avoid. I believe anywhere near the water is going go be a safe area, I'd avoid other areas like the plague. I would also look into Weehawken or Edgewater as they are more safe.

I also don't think Jersey City has no go zones, and there aren't many migrants because our Governor blocked them from coming into our state. Also I believe any of them that are considered dangerous are under surveillance.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Parts of Jersey city are safe other parts I would avoid. I believe anywhere near the water is going go be a safe area, I'd avoid other areas like the plague. I would also look into Weehawken or Edgewater as they are more safe.

I also don't think Jersey City has no go zones, and there aren't many migrants because our Governor blocked them from coming into our state. Also I believe any of them that are considered dangerous are under surveillance.
Thank you for the response, and I will take a look into these areas. The only reason why gave the okay for the move, is that President Trump gives the impression that he does not care for the migrants and they won't have the ability to proliferate like they have here.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:36 PM

565 posts, read 726,026 times
Well the whole NYC metro area is "proliferated" with migrants (my husband is one, although now he is a citizen), so NYC might not be the place for you.

The waterfront area of JC is absolutely chock full of yuppie, upwardly mobile immigrants. And hipsters. I think it's a great place to live.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Well the whole NYC metro area is "proliferated" with migrants (my husband is one, although now he is a citizen), so NYC might not be the place for you.

The waterfront area of JC is absolutely chock full of yuppie, upwardly mobile immigrants. And hipsters. I think it's a great place to live.
I think she was referring to Muslims.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:41 PM

565 posts, read 726,026 times
Yes, There are plenty of Muslims in Jersey City. Jersey City is extremely diverse. Like I said, it's a great place to live!

Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikan View Post
Yes, There are plenty of Muslims in Jersey City. Jersey City is extremely diverse. Like I said, it's a great place to live!
And also to have a party when a building explodes.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,271,552 times
Jersey city is a sanctuary city which means there is greater tolerance.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 PM

351 posts, read 484,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchingtomove View Post
Hi my husband and I will be moving to New Jersey or NYC for 8 months for his job starting in August. We are Swedes and I have never been to the United States and he has only been on a few business trips to NYC, Dallas and LA. He will be working in New Jersey and we were told to look into Jersey City as a place to look for an apartment (no children). I have been doing my research in the area however would like honest feedback for our safety about the gun violence, migrant aggression, and no go zones?

Thank you.
Jersey City is very nice, you would live downtown so it would feel like any other urban area. However, I had relatives from Europe move to NJ and they preferred Hoboken to Jersey City.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:52 PM

252 posts, read 457,871 times
This map of Jersey City and surrounding communities of Hudson County will help identify the no-go zones where violence is concentrated. A few points to note: A large majority of 2016 murders happened in one section of Jersey City, and none occurred in downtown Jersey City, Hoboken, or Weehawken.

http://tinyurl.com/lzvpatp

A large minority of residents of Jersey City (35%) and Hudson County (42%) were born outside the United States. Aggression targeting people due their foreign birth is not a problem to worry about.

Jersey City is a great choice for an 8 month stay - close to both the job in New Jersey and New York City. In case you haven't secured an apartment, the good news is more landlords are open to negotiating the length of the lease, especially when the lease will expire in the spring when it easiest to find replacement tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey