Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:48 PM

6 posts, read 7,123 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to NJ for a new job with office in Newport, Jersey City. I am looking for 1BHK and prices in this area of Newport is damn expensive (more than $2400 + parking) compared to my current city.
I am looking for max $2000/month.

Can some one please suggest me good places for one year lease ?

Requirements -
Commute time < 45-50 mins,
Walkable distance to Train Station (PATH, NJ Transmit, light Rail),
Car Parking,
Monthly Max I can pay between $2000-$2100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
I think in that price range you might have many choices.
Closer to J City and NYC car parking is scarcer and more expensive, and as you go further out it's more plentiful and even free.

Myself I would look around for somewhere where you can have both transit and car parking, giving you both options.
Going south maybe Rahway going west maybe the Caldwells or Oranges, I would say you also need to figure out which areas you feel at home in but there's 2 options there.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 PM

Thanks for you reply, I just looked at Oranges and it's 45 min train ride to Newport ( via Hoboken). This seems reasonable to me. I will look for good apartments around this area. Can you tell me more about this neighborhood ? I hope it's safe.

Do you know more areas with approx 45 min train ride to Newport ?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:29 PM

There is minimal train frequency from Orange to Hoboken (Morris & Essex Line) . Dont think this will work for me.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:40 AM

696 posts, read 907,262 times
Consider Edison, NJ. NJ Transit to Newark Penn Station then PATH. Will be a 50-60 minute commute but you'll likely not have to pay for parking at your rental . Edison also has a large Indian population so you should feel right at home.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:23 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,843 times
I think with your budget, You can find a place in Bayonne and even take the light rail if you want.
Jersey City Heights / Journal Square would also have housing in your price range.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:46 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR77 View Post
I think with your budget, You can find a place in Bayonne and even take the light rail if you want.
Jersey City Heights / Journal Square would also have housing in your price range.
I would second this option. Plenty of rentals within walking distance to 9th Ave Congress or the 2nd Ave station light rail stations.

Another option for the full "luxury" experience is the Beacon apartments in Jersey City. Studios are around $1,600 a month plus $245 for parking. The complex provides a free shuttle service to Grove St, Exchange Place, and Newport.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:15 AM

115 posts, read 146,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch16in View Post
I will be moving to NJ for a new job with office in Newport, Jersey City. I am looking for 1BHK and prices in this area of Newport is damn expensive (more than $2400 + parking) compared to my current city.
I am looking for max $2000/month.

Can some one please suggest me good places for one year lease ?

Requirements -
Commute time < 45-50 mins,
Walkable distance to Train Station (PATH, NJ Transmit, light Rail),
Car Parking,
Monthly Max I can pay between $2000-$2100.
Harrison - All new developments, walkable to train (Harrison Station is actually right next to Harrison Path). Harrison is undergoing major development. Search the thread for "Harrison."

Harrison to Grove St. is 12 minutes. Harrison to Newport station is 15-20 minutes (transfer at Journal Sq).

Old 09-17-2017, 06:02 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,594,813 times
Much depends on whether you are looking for a more urban town or what I consider the second wave out where you can relax and chill and stretch a bit and still be reasonably close.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:06 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Bayonne and commute by light rail would be good. No transfer, light rail is pretty reliable and you'll be close to city and JC. Parking isn't as difficult in Bayonne as other towns like JC or Hoboken. Price point is lower as well.

Here is the light rail map
https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightR...r_hblr_map.pdf

If you don't mind getting rid of the car. Journal Square (JSQ) and Heights in Jersey City would be good option and you can just bike to work. Another is Hoboken. You can def find 1 bed in Hoboken for 2k but parking in Hoboken sucks.

As for JC. I saw someone mention Beacon... Beacon is not a place I'd recommend to people in JC at all. Best way I describe it to people is that its a luxury compound that you don't leave except to go to grove st (for work + leisure) or when you drive out of JC. Other than that, you just stay in your compound because of the location. Which is not a real walking distance to any spots in downtown area, if your not used to leaving in urban environment it'll be gritty for some people, etc. Also the Beacon management is...well google it for yourself.

If anything, you can look at Port Liberte. If you can get lucky, you can find 1 bed there for 2kish. Like this one

port liberte rentals, port liberte for rent, no fee rentals port liberte, century 21 viewpoint realty, downtown jersey city

Reason why I say Port Liberate over Beacon...use google maps and do street view + satellite. You'll see why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey