Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 02:13 PM

332 posts, read 522,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
This is the same answer as my previous post. I have not been able to deduct either state income tax or property tax since I was a resident because of the AMT.
AMT phases out (effectively) above 800k or so, depending on what other deductions you have. This is extremely bad for very high income earners who are regular wage earners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 02:38 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I agree. And I think that means we are presuma going to see price decreases on homes currently selling for above 500k with over 10k property taxes. Especially since mortgage interest on purchases over 500k is now not tax deductible either

This is all assuming this passes, which is a big question mark. If it does pass, could certainly change (and I hope it does change)
The way I read it, the interest on the first $500k would still be deductible. That makes it far less of a issue for most people. Somerset County is one of the more expensive counties in which to buy real estate, and the median house price is under $500k.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:29 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
AMT phases out (effectively) above 800k or so, depending on what other deductions you have. This is extremely bad for very high income earners who are regular wage earners.
I wouldn’t say it phases out. A more accurate way to say it is that it becomes irrelevant. You are still not able to deduct state tax and property tax.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:40 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
You have to talk to an account. AFAIK, AMT removal is the biggest tax break.

AMT basically ensures that no matter how much tax deductions you have, you still gotta pay that much based on the gross income reported.

What the new tax laws will hurt are people who have high price mortgages and deducting all the interests, taxes, etc against their income if they game the system such as under reporting then they will have to dish out some money since the deduction will only be capped at $10k.

I believe if we get rid of AMT and allow my property taxes deducted against my gross right now I would come out ahead of previous tax code.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
My mortgage interest plus the $10K state tax work out to about $24,000, so itemizing vs not itemizing would pretty much be a wash. But I was hitting AMT before.

What happens to Obama's 3.8% F-U extra investment tax? I've been holding some securities expecting that to be repealed.

Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
I wouldn’t say it phases out. A more accurate way to say it is that it becomes irrelevant. You are still not able to deduct state tax and property tax.
Huh? Yes you are (at least until this plan comes into effect).

Old 11-03-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulus View Post
Huh? Yes you are (at least until this plan comes into effect).
No. If you are paying the AMT or above the income level where it is relevant, you are not currently (effectively) deducting these taxes. Only mortgage interest with the AMT.

If you are above the income level where the AMT is relevant, it means you are paying enough at the top bracket to average a higher effective rate than the AMT rate, even with all of your deductions.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 11-03-2017 at 10:28 AM..

Old 11-03-2017, 09:42 AM

274 posts, read 297,755 times
^ The proposal is to repeal AMT though, right? So it may not be a wash.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedguy2 View Post
^ The proposal is to repeal AMT though, right? So it may not be a wash.
Right. Without the AMT, it depends on your deductions.

...as well as the governments limitations on your deductions, like the $10k cap on property taxes.

Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No. If you are paying the AMT or above the income level where it is relevant, you are not currently (effectively) deducting these taxes. Only mortgage interest with the AMT.

If you are above the income level where the AMT is relevant, it means you are paying enough at the top bracket to average a higher effective rate than the AMT rate, even with all of your deductions.
OK...let's say you make 10mm a year and pay 1mm in state and local taxes (just throwing out numbers here). Before the current bill, you are not hit by AMT since you pay most of your tax at the 39.6% rate. However you do deduct your 1mm from your AGI before calculating tax. After this, you deduct (basically) nothing, so this new bill costs you about 390k. This probably reduces your takehome between 5 and 10 percent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey