Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 07:13 PM

857 posts, read 835,091 times

Advertisements

Ok I meant diverse lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 09:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Free bagpipe lessons.

I'm kind of serious. Schools that offer good academics like AP classes, schools with decent SAT scores... all the typical stuff comes first, but then choices can make a difference between a good school and a great school for me. (Yes, my daughter really is getting bagpipe lessons at school.)

Old 03-02-2018, 08:13 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
I think it honestly all comes down to the wealth of the residents. It’s no secret that usually all the top-ranking districts in NJ are the wealthiest ones. These families have the resources to hire tutors or enroll their children in Kaplan courses. Explains the high SAT scores too. My wife and I have talked about this and she expresses concern about sending our future kids to a great school district like Northern Highlands Regional, but have them feel like the “poor” kids because we don’t charter private planes for vacation or drive a Bentley. Is the stellar education worth it at that point? You will have to decide...

Old 03-02-2018, 08:51 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I look at attendance records for the Asian population. If there is severe absenteeism among the Asian, I will not consider sending my child there.
Absenteeism among Asians? That is highly unusual so the school must be really bad.

But in general, a healthy percentage of Asian students usually indicates high test scores and string academic program. At least 20% Asian is usually enough. Those are the schools that I would ideally like my children to attend.

If there is no sizable Asian minority, the school will have a strong football/baseball/basket weaving program and terrible test scores. And parents will be complaining about unfair tests, teaching to the test and lack of extra curricular activities...

Old 03-02-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
Absenteeism among Asians? That is highly unusual so the school must be really bad.

But in general, a healthy percentage of Asian students usually indicates high test scores and string academic program. At least 20% Asian is usually enough. Those are the schools that I would ideally like my children to attend.

If there is no sizable Asian minority, the school will have a strong football/baseball/basket weaving program and terrible test scores. And parents will be complaining about unfair tests, teaching to the test and lack of extra curricular activities...
Palisades Park is one exception that comes to mind...

Old 03-02-2018, 09:03 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post

You clearly haven’t been paying attention to what is going on in Holmdel. It’s a disgrace.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
SAT scores, degrees offered (IB for instance), graduation rate, AP classes offered, % who take, % score 3 and above, extra curricular activities offered (I.e more than just sports), % graduate with 4 year degree. If I can get info on what colleges seniors are attending even better.
This is a good list of criteria. Not much else is important to me.

Old 03-02-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You clearly haven’t been paying attention to what is going on in Holmdel. It’s a disgrace.
What is happening in Holmdel?

Old 03-02-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
What is happening in Holmdel?
We are just joking around. If you read the thread about the crazy NJ.com rankings, you will understand.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:35 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
Grew up in the hood in Jersey City. My parents were blue collar and we went to the public schools and all have been successful. 60 years ago I don't think many people cared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey