Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times

Advertisements

It's probably some workers lunchbox that he left there before they graded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
My husband is an Environmental Driller and does a lot of work in that area. He told me to tell you to hire someone to do a ground penetrating radar test if you really want this home. He said there are a lot of companies that do this in your area. He told me to tell you that if it is an underground storage tank, it has to be removed either by the seller or buyer. If it was a leaking tank, it could be a total nightmare which would have to be excavated out & if it contaminated the soil and ground water it could cost upwards of thousands of dollars. He has seen underground storage tanks that have cost as much as $100,000 dollars because of the contamination it caused.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,947 times
It could be septic. If is is an old house, that part of the lot might not have been a driveway. Once the house was hooked up to the sewage system, they could have just filled in the tank and decided to make a driveway.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:10 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,520,698 times
Maybe it's Jimmy Hoffa in a 55 gallon drum.

--

Seriously. I would not purchase unless fully resolved with supporting paperwork. Be there with a camera when dug up. Your realtor should be telling you these things.

And you are upset now. Try to imagine how upset you are going to be when sell this house years from now if it is not resolved before you buy it..

Last edited by NJBoy3; 03-21-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 03-21-2018, 10:01 AM

52 posts, read 49,747 times
Thank you all very much, we are now waiting for seller to respond and then proceed with excavation.

Will update with the results.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
You should also be having a chat with your realtor about this as well. If you need to ask strangers on the internet about this instead of them advising you, what else are they not being open about?

Old 03-21-2018, 10:43 AM

480 posts, read 480,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
You should also be having a chat with your realtor about this as well. If you need to ask strangers on the internet about this instead of them advising you, what else are they not being open about?
In my experience realtors know little to nothing about USTs, septics, and a myriad of other issues surrounding home inspections. Its up to the buyer to arm themselves with the knowledge they need. Obviously professionals need to be consulted, but it is often helpful to ask others who might have had a similar experience. I along with the seller pretty much drove the process from start to finish on our home when it came to replacement of the septic and installation of the water treatment. Both the buyers and sellers agents were completely uninvolved, not because they didn't care, but rather because they had no working knowledge of any of it.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,868,278 times
I agree, what I'm suggesting is that they need to have a conversation about what else the realtor doesn't know. Because if it's their first purchase the buyer may be leaning on them for services they aren't going to be doing.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Always remember that "Your" realtor (Unless its a Buyers Agent), is getting paid by the Seller.

They have a vested interest in getting the deal to close, They don't make anything until something is sold. This house or some other house, but if you move on to some "other" house, they made no money, and they have to invest more time in you to get you to buy something else, before you give up...

Old 03-21-2018, 12:57 PM

389 posts, read 664,327 times
I'm interested to see how this turns out. My armchair 'expert' (read: no idea what I am talking about here) is wondering if its a fill tube to an old oil tank in the basement of the house. Or some kind of drain pipe / sewer cleanout?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: